String Ray City

lookin4ward

We want to take our grandson to String Ray City but we're not really athletic. How difficult is it to get into the water? Do you need to climb any ladders or anything like that? We are thinking of the Sting Ray City Safari where you are in water 3-4 feet deep. Also, if you are familiar with this excursion is there any snorkeling available there? I hope so. That we can do. Thanks for the help.

You need to get from the boat to the water and back, so yes, a ladder, but it isn't hard and the deck hands can help those who need assistance.

No real snorkeling there other than to dunk your head under the water to look at the sting rays, but there is snorkeling nearby. There are usually trips available that will combine a reef snorkel with the stingray visit.

Most snorkel boats have ladders. Otherwise you'd have to jump off the boat into the water. If the rays are already up around the boat, that wouldn't be a great idea. People snorkel there also, but I don't remember seeing much in the way of fish or coral out there. Stingray City is a big sand bar out in the middle of the water, accessible only by boat. You can do snorkeling right off the beach in Grand Cayman. Eden Rock is walking distance from the ship, but you do have to use a ladder - well, let me think - there may have been a sloped beach near the ladder. It was next to the Paradise Cafe.

If possible, do it. It will be an experience you will never forget. You do NOT have to be athletic at all, my wife is 5ft., get's nervous when the water gets close to head high, and she loved it. We had to go down a ladder, but no problem, there are crew members to help, don't remember about snorkeling, but I would think you would be able to find an area if you wanted. Out of our 48 cruises, Stingray city and climbing Dunn's river fall in Jamaica are by far our two favorites. Go for it, you'll love it.

Even though the water is only three to four ft deep, it can and WAS quite a bit rough when we went. The wind was blowing and many adults were having a hard time standing up. The waves were knocking quite a few children all around. If the weather is O.K then i'm sure younger kids have a great time, but it does get rough..

• 2 weeks later...

I have traveled to Antigua, Barbados, & Jamaica and I have noticed that all 3 islands have a "Stingray City" attraction. It seems to be the common attraction in the Caribbean. However, I have yet to experience it. What is the difference between Grand Cayman's Stingray City and the others or is there a difference? I will travel to Grand Cayman for the first time, and I am thinking about putting it off until the next visit.

I could be wrong, so someone correct me if I am. Grand Cayman's is the original Stingray City. They are actual wild creatures that live in the wild and come by choice. It is a natural sand bar where fisherman would clean their catch and drop the "extra" in the water. The stingrays would come and feast on the extras. When they figured out the fisherman wouldn't hurt them they kept coming back. Some forward thinking guy decided to bring tourists out to see them do this and then they begain to get in the water with them. My understanding is it began in the 80s and has grown from there. Seeing the popularity of the GC version, other islands and operators began to do this as well. I believe many, if not all, of the others are all captive stingrays, but again I could be wrong. I am not positive of that since I have not researched other island offerings.

Stingray City in Grand Cayman is great because it is a huge sandbar. The water depth varies, so divers go into 15 feet of water, sit on their knees on the bottom & enjoy the rays swimming over & around them. Snorkelers enjoy the rays from above & in the more shallow areas, people are able to enjoy them without getting their faces in the water.

I've done a snorkeling excursion in Belize that was in open water. There were rays & sharks there. They are wild, not captive. While we were swimming with them, there wasn't really a lot of interaction like there is in Grand Cayman.

I was just at Stingray City in September and it was sooo awesome. I am going back again in December. On my excursion you went to Stingray City and to the reef to snorkel. I would recommend this excursion to everyone. Now some cruise lines make the companies they work with follow some rules so it depends what you want to do. I know Carnival looks like they won't let you feed the stingrays so I went and got a company that doesn't deal directly with the cruise line so I can feed them. On Royal Carribean I was able to feed them but had to wear a inflatable life vest that I just tied around my waist so it didn't bother me. I am a heavy set girl and I had no problem getting on and off the boat. I did have a ladder to climb but it was very easy. I hope you go cause it is a wonderful experience.

145656617_CRUISE20082.jpg.2bd51ef8899ff407b2294d25c6550c97.jpg

We have done Stingray City in GC twice through Captain Bryans ( private company)

It was so great the first time we had to take our kids the second time. Both times we also snorkeled at 2 stops. The water at Stingray City is waist - shoulder deep and was calm both times. The stingrays creep me out but I held them and petted them. You can feed them too if you want. Nothing was pushed on you- they let you stay at your comfort level. The snorkeling was awesome- lots of coral and fish.

The first time we were on a catamaran which I prefered. The groups were small, 15-20 people. There was an optional video you could purchase (again not pushy)

I could be wrong, so someone correct me if I am. Grand Cayman's is the original Stingray City. They are actual wild creatures that live in the wild and come by choice. It is a natural sand bar where fisherman would clean their catch and drop the "extra" in the water. The stingrays would come and feast on the extras. When they figured out the fisherman wouldn't hurt them they kept coming back. Some forward thinking guy decided to bring tourists out to see them do this and then they begain to get in the water with them. My understanding is it began in the 80s and has grown from there. Seeing the popularity of the GC version, other islands and operators began to do this as well. I believe many, if not all, of the others are all captive stingrays, but again I could be wrong. I am not positive of that since I have not researched other island offerings.

The stingrays at Stingray City in Antigua are captive. Notice the fence:

Yadira-Chris.jpg

Archived