Happy ks - Victorinox Question

CarynRenee

Happy ks -

I don't post much, but noticed that you seem to be a luggage expert and especially tout the Victorinox brand.

With the restrictions about taking liquids on board in carry-ons, I'm always keeping an eye out for a good and roomy cosmetic bag that will be big and sturdy enough to be checked as luggage. I noticed that the Victorinox Mobilizer NXT 3.0 Beauty Sak Cosmetic Tote is on sale for $84, which is significantly less than the 4.0 version ($199) and actually a bit bigger. This seems like a good value.

My question for you: If that bag was full of all those necessary toiletry items for a long cruise (shampoo, cosmetics, flat iron, sunscreen, etc), would it be durable enough to be checked baggage? Also, any general comments/opinions about the bag? Any suggestions for similar bags in a reasonable price range that would be large and durable?

Thanks for your help!

I have that bag, mine is red :) Love the Khaki color, we don't carry that one and we all wish we did! I don't think I would check it because of the size. I also don't think it would be a great idea to pack toiletries inside to check through. I use it quite a bit for land travel, love the outside pockets, the inside pockets.

What would be a better way would be to pack your toiletries into leakproof bottles, then into a ziploc baggie in case they become non-leakproof bottles. Then cushion them between layers of clothing in your checked bag, to avoid direct contact if your suitcase is smushed or dropped.

I use Pito tubes: http://pitotubes.com/ for toiletries whether I check them through or take them in a 3-1-1 baggie. I have a full set, plus a couple more bottles of various sizes. No more searching for travel sized toiletries for me, I just refill as needed. I've never had any leakage problems with them.

Going to the Ebags site, I also notice there is the Tourbach accessory tote on sale. A little more pricey than the 3.0, but more spacious and a classier style. The 3.0 is fine, I'm surprised they still have pieces as we had close out on it more than a year and a half ago. The price is probably not as low as it could be at this point, you may look around at some other sites if you are on the Ebags site. As I recall, our price was lower, I think I paid around $60 for it after my discount. We only got a small discount on sale pieces, so I think our retail sale price was around $70-75...so hard to remember after this long.

I should have added the piece you are asking about is not really much larger than a purse, wider of course. Look at it with the model holding it by the shoulder strap.

http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swiss_army/mobilizer_nxt_reg_4_0_beauty_sak/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=106665 Pictured is the 4.0, same as the 3.0, the side popckets are a bit different and the front of the bag redesigned but basically the same bag.

I'd not worry about the quality of the bag being compromised, just being small having it lost :eek:

Happy ks -

Thanks so much for your prompt and thorough response. I probably won't buy anything at this point, but that one happened to catch my attention as I somehow started randomly browsing on ebags earlier.

I don't think I've seen the pitotubes before - they look like a nice alternative to travel size items.

Have a good day, and thanks again!

Oh, the other thing I wanted to mention was that the biggest difference I saw (based on descriptions) between the 3.0 and 4.0 is the size. The 4.0 dimensions (12" x 10.25" x 9") are smaller than the 3.0 (14.25" x 12" x 8.75"), which is why I actually liked the 3.0 better after looking at both items.

Anyhow - as I said, it's unlikely that I'll buy anything right now since I was really just browsing when I saw this.

Appreciate your help!

Archived