Cruise itinerary suggestions for SCUBA newbies

cardbucfan

Hi all, DS 14 and I (and the rest of the family) are in the process of getting certified. Next spring break we plan to go on a cruise and would like to dive as much as possible (we live in Florida so will have dived a few times before then). We haven't booked anything yet but have many cruise options available the week of his break. Where would we find the best dive spots for newbies? Either Eastern or Western Caribbean so we can drive to the port.

We had been thinking the Princess cruise that goes to Princess Cay, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Grand Turk because those would be 2 new stops for us (have cruised Caribbean a few times and have hit most places you can get to from Florida) but wondered if those would be the best. We're open to repeating an itinerary since the diving would be new to us. Thanks!

I have always wanted to do the 7 night Carnival itinerary that calls on Grand Cayman,Belize,Roatan,and Cozumel with a sea day on each end.I believe the Valor does it out of Miami and the Lengend does it out of Tampa.Four great diving ports of call.

As for the Princess cruise you mentioned, Grand Turk is fanastic if you get deep on the Wall and St. Thomas is ok. St. Martin is a beautiful island but the diving is just ok.Princess Cays is a very expensive one tank dive.I much prefer a Western route if all you want to do is dive.

IF you really want to get in the most diving with your son, you're best bet would be do a liveaboard. No, it isn't for the non-divers and it isn't as cheap as a cruise, but you do get to do a lot of diving. http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/ might be worth a look.

As for cruise itineraries with the most worthwhile diving, I have to agree with the western with these ports: Grand Cayman,Belize,Roatan,and Cozumel. I probably wouldn't make Carnival my first choice, but that is just a personal preference.

I agree with Dive Master's take on the diving on the itinerary you are looking at. Grand Turk = very good, St. Thomas = can be pretty good, St. Maarten = not so good, and Princes Cays = too expensive.

I'd also consider a southern cruise if you could find one that stops in Bonaire and/or Curacao.

Thanks for the advice. Carnival is not my first choice either but leaving from Tampa (where I live!) is very attractive and there aren't any other itineraries that hit all those islands. The problem with doing the southern islands is that we would have to fly and we lose the Florida drive benefit (which increases the cost, the hastle of flying, etc). I don't know that we are ready for a liveaboard with just getting certified. If we decide to do nothing but a dive trip we may just stick to the Keys (again that whole not having to fly thing). Looks like we'll really check out the other western cruises and see about the southern ones.

I'll be taking the Glory out of Miami on the Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Coz itinerary with a sea day on each end in January...picked it for the great dive sites, and I am booking dives for at least two of the locations as non-ship excursions.

As for your other options, I enjoyed diving in St. Thomas and Grand Turk...St. Maarten had zero viz the day I was there, so ended up staying topside and visiting "That Yoda Guy" (the creator of Yoda) and enjoying the local drink. :D

I didn't go to Bonaire on a cruise, but did it as weeklong resort stop...well worth the $$, imho...practically unlimited diving via shore, and we had two boat dives per day. Love the sea life on the reefs there, and per reefnet.org, they have the most abundant sea life variety in the Caribbean! Can't go wrong there!

Happy Cruising and Diving!

Greetings cardbucfan,

My wife doesn't swim or scuba dive so I'm always looking for something with a lot of diving but not a live aboard. Princess Cruises has itineraries which sail out of San Juan. I think there are some okay ones out of Florida as well. Sailing out of Florida usually means an extra 'At Sea' day. Since I have to fly anyway, I usually go to San Juan. An extra hour of flying but it gives me an extra day of diving.

I have been to the following places (scale of 1 to 10, 10 being fantastic):

- Dominican Republic (2)

- St. Thomas, USVI (6)

- Tortola, BVI (7)

- St. Martin (4)

- St. Kitts (5)

- Dominica (9)

- St. Lucia (8)

- Barbados (cruise ship = 4, don't dive with the cruise ship = 5)

- Grenada (6)

- Bonaire (8)

- Curacao (7)

- Aruba (6)

- Jamaica (4)

I have never been diving in the western Caribbean so I cannot compare. If you can find a cruise that does the southern areas (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) and/or St. Lucia/Dominica that is usually a good choice for Eastern Caribbean.

AAGGHH! the choices are endless! DS's spring break is 4/10 so truly there is a cruise going to all those places. We usually cruise HAL but they only have one cruise for that week and one of the ports is Key West but only for about 5 hours in the afternoon and the ship doesn't even offer diving as an excursion so I'd be leery about the time. There are 2 Carnival cruises (I'm not keen on Carnival but if we did it we'd go out of Tampa) and there are Princess, RCCL and Celebrity out of San Juan. I looked into airfare and it would be hard to do one of those cruises because of the flight times and it would cost an extra $300 pp to fly so I think that really leaves us with one of the Florida cruises. We haven't even started the water portion of our class yet but I know we will love it but I think I'll hold a little longer on booking something. Heck, we may decide to do a land vacation and dive non-stop!

AAGGHH! the choices are endless! DS's spring break is 4/10 so truly there is a cruise going to all those places. We usually cruise HAL but they only have one cruise for that week and one of the ports is Key West but only for about 5 hours in the afternoon and the ship doesn't even offer diving as an excursion so I'd be leery about the time. There are 2 Carnival cruises (I'm not keen on Carnival but if we did it we'd go out of Tampa) and there are Princess, RCCL and Celebrity out of San Juan. I looked into airfare and it would be hard to do one of those cruises because of the flight times and it would cost an extra $300 pp to fly so I think that really leaves us with one of the Florida cruises. We haven't even started the water portion of our class yet but I know we will love it but I think I'll hold a little longer on booking something. Heck, we may decide to do a land vacation and dive non-stop!

A land vacation in Florida would make a lot more sense if everyone is going scuba diving. You'll be able to get a lot more diving in and feel much less rushed. The cruise ship diving tends to be short because they want to make sure you don't miss your ship. They also tend to be more about following the contract, i.e. keeping the cruise ship happy, rather than keeping the customer happy. Private excursions will take you to the better locations and let you dive a little longer.

A land vacation and you could even rent cylinders, pay for unlimited air fills and do shore diving or try different boats every day.

Talk to the people where you get certified. Instructors and customers at the shop should have a lot of helpful information.

You can also talk to people on Scuba Toys. Scuba Toys is a Texas dive shop but a lot of people from Florida (and around the world) frequent their forums (same software as Cruise Critic).

Thanks for the advice. Carnival is not my first choice either but leaving from Tampa (where I live!) is very attractive and there aren't any other itineraries that hit all those islands. The problem with doing the southern islands is that we would have to fly and we lose the Florida drive benefit (which increases the cost, the hastle of flying, etc). I don't know that we are ready for a liveaboard with just getting certified. If we decide to do nothing but a dive trip we may just stick to the Keys (again that whole not having to fly thing). Looks like we'll really check out the other western cruises and see about the southern ones.

We have done several Carnival western cruises, Valor, Legend, and so on. For divers, it is a great itinerary. If you are so against Carnival and you live in Tampa, then the Keys is where you need to go. Look up Key Colony in Marathon. You can rent a 3br house on a canal with a dock for about the price of a cruise for 2. Then rent a boat that is set up for diving or fishing with twins or single outboards, depth finder, gps and so on. Rent tanks from a local dive op and gear if you need to. That way you can dive whenever you want. Now, unlike a cruise, you will have to cook and clean for yourself.:( Either way you get wet and that is always a good day.:D

I would suggest a land vacation in Roatan- there are several great all inclusive dive resorts, or it's pretty easy to stay in West End or West Bay and dive with one of the many great dive shops. I find the diving to be much easier, cheaper and much more enjoyable (much healthier reefs) than in the Keys. Other then the airfare, everything else seems far more affordable then in Florida as well. I'm sure Cozumel has some great dive packages as well. I would dive the Keys if you are close enogh for day trips or in the area anyway, but I don't know that I would want to plan an entire dive trip to the Keys when you are so close to so many other great dive locations. If you do dive in the Keys, the marine park seemed to have much healthier corals then other areas.

As great as a cruise to dive destinations is, as newly certified divers you might really consider a dive trip where you would be able to dive with the same equiptment and people so you really get a chance to be comfortable with your new skills. On a cruise ship unless you have your own gear or rent from the ship you will be using different gear in each port (which has it's own learning curve). Also, you will most likely diving with a new divemaster at every stop, where on a land based trip or a live aboard you will be diving with dive masters who can be sure to make you feel comfortable and adjust dives to your comfort level. I have done the Western Caribbean cruise to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel (on NCL) and enjoyed it (I didn't dive in Belize). If you have your mind made up that you want to cruise and dive, this is a pretty good itinerary with lots of good diving available to open water divers. Good luck whatever your decision might be!

Those are really good points about the different equipment-I hadn't thought of that. We had dinner with some folks last night who were telling us all about Nexton (sp?) dive cruises and that they were great. This couple had done it in the Caymans and the Bahamas and taken their kids. Anybody ever done those? Would that be a good fit for new divers (especially a 15 year old boy)? How does their price compare to a land based dive trip or to a cruise with dive excursions? I'm so new to this I don't even know how much stuff costs! We will be diving Nitrox (and I do know that that makes a difference in the cost).

Those are really good points about the different equipment-I hadn't thought of that. We had dinner with some folks last night who were telling us all about Nexton (sp?) dive cruises and that they were great. This couple had done it in the Caymans and the Bahamas and taken their kids. Anybody ever done those? Would that be a good fit for new divers (especially a 15 year old boy)? How does their price compare to a land based dive trip or to a cruise with dive excursions? I'm so new to this I don't even know how much stuff costs! We will be diving Nitrox (and I do know that that makes a difference in the cost).

First, if you are getting certified how is your air consumption? There are two reasons for ending a dive. The first is that you run out of air. The second is that you are nitrogen loaded. I have never met a new diver who has to end a dive because they are nitrogen loaded.

If you dive with air you are probably paying $7 to have the tank filled with air. If the dive lasts say 45 minutes and you run out of air, you are going to pay $15 for a tank of Nitrox, you will have a 45 minute dive then run out of Nitrox. In other words, if you are not nitrogen loaded it is a waste of money to use Nitrox.

Second, you need to look at the different options you are throwing out there. You started with a cruise with shore excursions. If you want to go on a cruise ship, like Princess, HAL, Celebrity, etc. and equally want to go scuba diving, this is a good option. I go on cruises because my wife does not dive. I go diving and she enjoys the cruise ship.

If you are really interest in getting a lot of diving in, a land based dive trip would give you a lot more diving. In other words, if the cruising is not as important you can get better diving from a land based trip.

The third option is a liveaboard. This is a place people who want to do nothing but diving. Going out to a nice restaurant is not an option. Many people like a liveaboard because they can often get 5 dives a day.

For a new diver this might be too much diving and to little everything else.

Just my opinion but I still think a land based trip would work better for you.

Thanks, we are currently exploring our options. I've told DS that we really have two options: 1. go on a cruise vacation where our excursions (either through the ship or on our own) would be diving and we could do that on the 4 port days 2. do a dive trip. We start the in the water classes this Friday so will definitely know more after we have done the dives. I just wanted to be prepared so we could book something and know what were the good choices. I appreciate all the help I've been getting! AFter a little more research, I don't think the Nekton cruise would be good for just the two of us. Even if we were more experienced divers, I think a 15 year old boy would want more than just his mom for company!

Thanks, we are currently exploring our options. I've told DS that we really have two options: 1. go on a cruise vacation where our excursions (either through the ship or on our own) would be diving and we could do that on the 4 port days 2. do a dive trip. We start the in the water classes this Friday so will definitely know more after we have done the dives. I just wanted to be prepared so we could book something and know what were the good choices. I appreciate all the help I've been getting! AFter a little more research, I don't think the Nekton cruise would be good for just the two of us. Even if we were more experienced divers, I think a 15 year old boy would want more than just his mom for company!

Talk to the people training you. Some shops have dive trips. They might have a package deal you can join. If you get along with the people at the training centre or with the people you are getting certified with, this could be a fun option.

Hi. In recent years I've done several cruises, and tried to go diving in every port that diving is possible.

Having cruised in Hawaii, W. Caribbean, S. Caribbean, E. Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, and the keys, I like the W. Caribbean and S. Caribbean the best.

The W. Caribbean ports of Cozumel (drift, one of the best in the world), Cayman, Belize, and Roatan or Costa Maya, all have just great diving. Warm water, healthy reef, lots of fish, and good prices. The diving there also include the DM that will guide you.

Carnival has a S. Caribbean route that goes from San Juan to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, and St. Kitts. I don't know about St. Kitts, but the other 5 are all good diving ports. St. Lucia was great by the pitons. Dominica has rugged coastline and marine reserve. We also flew into Puerto Rico and dove/snorkeled in La Paquera, and Rinco, and also went to Vieques island for the bio bay.

An E. Caribbean route usually includes G. Turk (very good diving), St. Thomas, and Half Moon Cay (no diving). It's not bad, but not as good as the W. or S.

Key Largo area has good diving, and at least one shop (Rainbow) doesnt' charge for a DM guide, while others would charge. Diving at Key West had nothing to boast about, other than warm water, and some not too exciting reef.

Oh, near you, Rainbow River had very good shallow drift dive. The water was so clear, even though you are shallow, it was still very good. As a new diver, you would enjoy diving there.

Thanks, we do our first open water dive this Sunday in the Gulf. So torn right now about whether we want a total dive vacation (then we'd do land) or if we want a cruise vacation where we dive as our excursions. Since it's just DS15 and me I'm leaning towards the cruise. We'll see once we have finished the cert. process.

• 2 weeks later...

My DH just finished his cert today and I am thinking about doing it next month. We decided on the Legend out of Tampa bc we live about 30ish minutes from there. The FL aquarium has a cool shark dive program (with their sharks) if you are interested.

• 4 months later...

You could drive to Ft. Lauderdale, get a hotel for 1 night if they let you park your car there (free) for the week of the cruise. Then it is still cheap. I think I would drive so I could not have to pay for luggage on the airplane and worry about 50 lb limits. Not to mention them breaking any bottles of liquor in your checked luggage (it happened to our friend-they inspected his luggage and shifted the packaging material and the bottle broke).

I hope you went on the cruise you were thinking about. This post may be way too late to matter. Maybe next time.

Archived