Norfolk, VA

pgsahm

I will be sailing on the Glory in October 2010 out of Norfolk, VA. I live in Virginia but have never been to the port in Norfolk. Can someone tell me more about it? What type of parking is available and the pricing? Any information would be great!

I will be sailing on the Glory in October 2010 out of Norfolk, VA. I live in Virginia but have never been to the port in Norfolk. Can someone tell me more about it? What type of parking is available and the pricing? Any information would be great!

I googled it, here is a link for parking.

http://www.cruisenorfolk.org/parking.html

The parking rate is $10.00 per night for all cruises (Celebrity & Carnival). No reservations are required and the parking fee can be paid in person upon entering the lot (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, cash and Travelers Checks are accepted).

Norfolk is a great port to sail from. The terminal is almost new and the best terminal we have sailed from. Even if you have to wait a while for boarding, there's a large collection of nautical artwork inside and a great outdoor deck to wait on as well.

Parking is a fair bit away and not in the best part of town. They use shuttle busses to take you to the terminal once you park. I don't know the cost - I have family only about 10 minutes from the pier so we always just leave the car with them. :p

If you come in early, there are also lots of things to do downtown and great restaurants and shps there and in the ghent area. The "No Frills Grill" in Ghent is great. Last time I was there we also took an afternoon sail on the American Rover - a tall ship that does harbor sails and sunset cruises. Very inexpensive for a 2 hour sail.

Thank you for the replies.

vacruizer, the parking information is very helfpul. The only port I've sailed from is Port Canaveral and we've never parked at the port. I have no idea what to expect in Norfolk.

What is the best time to arrive at the port?

Thank you for the replies.

vacruizer, the parking information is very helfpul. The only port I've sailed from is Port Canaveral and we've never parked at the port. I have no idea what to expect in Norfolk.

What is the best time to arrive at the port?

We've shown up between 11 and 11:30 both times. The first year we had a wait of a few hours - but mainly because the prior Bahamas cruise was late coming in due to rough weather and was still debarking. The second time we were onboard by 12:15.

• 1 month later...

The parking is $10.00/day and is a fenced open air lot - patrolled by city police regularly. The shuttle bus to/from the ship is free. Lots to do within walking distance. As previously posted MacArthur mall is great. Don't forget to google the MacArthur memorial which is a short distance away. Nauticus is a nice visit and we also have the Chrysler Museum. Plenty to see and do - haven't checked into what "shore excursions" may be offered pre-cruise. If you come in a day or two early there are several decent hotels - Norfolk International Airport is about a 20 minute ride.

If anyone would like more info I'd be happy to do some research for you. I live in Suffolk (45 miles) work in Portsmouth(right across the river) and spend plenty of time in Norfolk. Email me jmcburney@hughes.net

There is also a water taxi frim Norfolk to Portsmouth - marine museum/childrens museum/naval hospital/etc

There is also a parking lot directly across the street from the cruise terminal. Its called the West Plume St Parking Garage. Security onsite 24/7. It is a multi-layered parking garage, cost is $14 a day. We used it this past May. Dropped our bags of at the cruise terminal, drove across the street and parked. Walked back and was onboard by 11:30 am. When cruise was over, we took our bags off the ship, walked across the street and got in our vehicle. Their phone number is 757-441-2056. They accept Visa too! Enjoy your cruise!:D

There is also a parking lot directly across the street from the cruise terminal. Its called the West Plume St Parking Garage. Security onsite 24/7. It is a multi-layered parking garage, cost is $14 a day. We used it this past May. Dropped our bags of at the cruise terminal, drove across the street and parked. Walked back and was onboard by 11:30 am. When cruise was over, we took our bags off the ship, walked across the street and got in our vehicle. Their phone number is 757-441-2056. They accept Visa too! Enjoy your cruise!:D

That is exactly what some friends of ours did that sailed with us on the Grandeur of the Seas. We had our brother drop us off in that circle right in front of the terminal. It was just as easy when we debarked as he was able to pull right in and pick us up. Norfolk is a very easy terminal to sail out of.

• 2 months later...

Crown Plaza- nice hotel few minutes from the pier

http://www.norfolkdowntown.com/hotels/crowne-plaza.html

Marriott Waterside- couple blocks and the closest to the pier

http://www.norfolkdowntown.com/hotels/marriott.html

Courtyard Marriott- few minutes away and right by MacArthur Mall

http://www.norfolkdowntown.com/hotels/courtyard-downtown.html

Sheraton Waterside- 5 blocks from the pier

http://www.norfolkdowntown.com/hotels/sheraton.html

Renaissance Portsmouth- very nice, across river, 5-10 minute drive

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/orfpt-renaissance-portsmouth-hotel-and-waterfront-conference-center/

My top two choices would be either the Marriott Waterside or the Renaissance Portsmouth.

what hotels are near the terminal, we plan on coming in a day early

I'd like to add to cruisejunkie's list. We stayed at the Raddison. It was a nice place with a pool and shuttle to/from cruise terminal. real close to the MacArthur Mall and right adjacent to the carnival parking lot.

Ok I did a quick look to get a link to help and found out it's now crown plaza. I guess someone's bought it and changed the name LOL

Pg - didn't catch what part of Va you are coming from, but make sure whatever you do that you leave plenty of time for traffic. Things can get really messy at the tunnels and on the interstates in Hampton Roads. Less chance of it on a weekend but it can still happen. We spent over two hours a while back sitting just past the last exit before the tunnel and not moving trying to get to my parent's house. So we couldn't get off and traffic didn't move at all - an accident had completely closed the tunnel which isn't uncommon.

We live in Roanoke now but have family in both Newport News and Chesapeake. I love cruising from Norfolk and wish there were more ships and better itineraries. Since my parents only live about 15 minutes from the port it is so easy for us - stay the night before with them, leave the car at their house, and have them drop us at the port! :D

I'd like to add to cruisejunkie's list. We stayed at the Raddison. It was a nice place with a pool and shuttle to/from cruise terminal. real close to the MacArthur Mall and right adjacent to the carnival parking lot.

Ok I did a quick look to get a link to help and found out it's now crown plaza. I guess someone's bought it and changed the name LOL

Yep, that's why I didn't mention it. I wish Norfolk would have more ships, different itineraries, during the spring and summer cause I loved sailing out of there.

I love sailing out of Norfolk, too...it's so easy for us but getting to Norfolk by plane is not easy and there are not many cheap fares. Royal Caribbean is having the Enchantment here this Spring and it is a really nice ship but it will only sail 4 or 5 times before it is homeported in Baltimore. The cruise fares are not really cheap either.

vacruizer, I live about 90 minutes from Norfolk, in the Petersburg area. I went to college in Newport News so I am well aware of how awful the traffic can get in and near the tunnels! Thanks for the reminder though!

I have been surprised that there are not more offerings out of Norfolk too. And that the prices are not very competitive if you ask me... Driving to Charleston, SC is always an option for me though. And sometimes the same itinerary. ship, etc. is available for $200 or more less than sailing from Norfolk.

287 days. It can't get here quick enough! :)

vacruizer, I live about 90 minutes from Norfolk, in the Petersburg area. I went to college in Newport News so I am well aware of how awful the traffic can get in and near the tunnels! Thanks for the reminder though!

I have been surprised that there are not more offerings out of Norfolk too. And that the prices are not very competitive if you ask me... Driving to Charleston, SC is always an option for me though. And sometimes the same itinerary. ship, etc. is available for $200 or more less than sailing from Norfolk.

287 days. It can't get here quick enough! :)

Have a great cruise! I've been out here in the mountains for 14 years now and no one here has any idea what Hampton Roads traffic is like so just wanted to make sure! :p

I actually grew up in Newport News, but went to college in Richmond. :)

We are looking at another cruise from Baltimore right now. Not as easy as dropping the car with my parents and sailing from Norfolk, but it's a day longer and gives us more time at sea. I'm not fond of that overnight port call in Nassau on the Norfolk run with Carnival - i'd just as soon be out to sea.

• 4 months later...

We live in Roanoke now but have family in both Newport News and Chesapeake. I love cruising from Norfolk and wish there were more ships and better itineraries. Since my parents only live about 15 minutes from the port it is so easy for us - stay the night before with them, leave the car at their house, and have them drop us at the port! :D

Think your parents could adopt us next week and drop us off at the terminal?!?!? LOL! Thanks for the traffic tip . . . We'll be driving in from NC and can't leave until 7:30AM for the 5 hour drive. I'm a little concerned now--but have fingers crossed that we'll make it okay!

Think your parents could adopt us next week and drop us off at the terminal?!?!? LOL! Thanks for the traffic tip . . . We'll be driving in from NC and can't leave until 7:30AM for the 5 hour drive. I'm a little concerned now--but have fingers crossed that we'll make it okay!

Norfolk is a good drive from Roanoke. Just be sure to give yourself enough time in the event of traffic delays on I-95. Enjoy your cruise.

LOL - I can always ask! :p

Coming up from NC you will run less risk of traffic issues than if you are coming in from the north and get stuck on I-64. Never say never and there is still a tunnel for you to get through (which can back up or come to a standstill if someone breaks down or has an accident) but at least when you are there you are only right across the water from the terminal - you will might even be able to see the ship from there! You probably run less risk of problems there on a weekend than on the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel or I-64. Not sure how you are coming in and I never can remember which tunnel is downtown or mid-town in Norfolk.

Archived