weather report

LindaKE

This is one of my pet peeves. Usually during sea days, the captain comes on mid morning and gives a report that is usually quite extensive. On days you are docked and want to leave the ship, all you have to go by is the freestyle. Last May, while in Bermuda, our freestyle said the weather would be partly sunny. We packed accordingly, planning on going to the caves in the morning and bringing swim gear for beaches in the afternoon in the St. George area. Well, we had the monsoon rains beginning at noontime and continuing throughout the afternoon. Had we more information, we could have planned differently, and at least taken our rain gear with us. I don't understand why they do not have a weather forecast on the room tv's.

This is one of my pet peeves. Usually during sea days, the captain comes on mid morning and gives a report that is usually quite extensive. On days you are docked and want to leave the ship, all you have to go by is the freestyle. Last May, while in Bermuda, our freestyle said the weather would be partly sunny. We packed accordingly, planning on going to the caves in the morning and bringing swim gear for beaches in the afternoon in the St. George area. Well, we had the monsoon rains beginning at noontime and continuing throughout the afternoon. Had we more information, we could have planned differently, and at least taken our rain gear with us. I don't understand why they do not have a weather forecast on the room tv's.

How is that much different from the weather forecasts you get back home in your daily newspaper or on the TV or radio? Weather forecasts are notorious for their unreliability and in some locations, such as islands like Bermuda, weather conditions can change with little or no warning. I recall several years ago when an announcer on a large local radio station ended his broadcast with the comment that he was going out to the parking lot to shovel out his car from six inches of the station's weather forecaster's "partly cloudy". :D Adding a weather forecast to the stateroom TV might be of some help but if the forecast is wrong, as it often is, the help it provides may be of limited value.

I live in New England! I can tell you the weather can change here in seconds! But in october it can be pleasantly warm like a nice september day or it can be a blizard outside with snow, sleet and hail! Have fun on your trip!

Although expensive and slow, this is an area where the internet can shine, particularly if you have researched multiple websites for your location which can give you real-time radar, cloud cover and direction etc. You can also do historical research of normal temps for the year. Always a good idea to layer and take stuff in a backpack that you may need.

I live in New England! I can tell you the weather can change here in seconds! But in october it can be pleasantly warm like a nice september day or it can be a blizard outside with snow, sleet and hail! Have fun on your trip!

LOL. That sounds just like the Gulf Coast. I thought we had the exclusive on changeable weather.

I know weather predictions are just best guesses, but sometimes they're right about how the temp will change during the day.

Archived