2 questions about Spirit to Alaska last week of August

Linsuesue

We are booked for an Alaskan cruise for the 24th of August in 2010. We will be going to Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria BC. Can anyone tell me what kind of general weather conditions we should expect, and will there be many kids on the ship during this time? When I was a kid and went to school-it always started the day after Labor Day. Some schools here start in July, and I'm thinking that maybe some year round schools might have an August break.

Few kids that week as most US schools will have started and will certainly do so during the duration of your cruise.

For the weather: check what is going on right now and watch for the next couple weeks. It is the end of summer in Alaska and the season has turned.

EXPECT rainy, cloudy, and (relative to the lower 48) cold. Weather will change abruptly and often. Tours that take you out to a destination and turn around an come back the same way will often have completely different weather on the return trip. That is Alaska.

Thanks for the weather feedback! I won't be disappointed no matter what the weather is like next August. We plan to take umbrellas and layers of clothes, but it is interesting to hear from people to find out what the weather was like for them. It would be lovely to see some fall colors while on vacation. Right now we are in our monsoon season. It is muggy and around the 105-110 degree range. Cloudy, rainy, overcast, cool, or cold all sound like a plus to me. In Arizona, we crack out our windbreakers when it gets really cold.

Archived