New to Cruise Critic & Cruising - Just wanted to say Hi!

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself having just joined! We have just booked our first family cruise onboard Thomson Dream for July 2010 and I'm sure I will have lots of questions over the next few months. Our party will consist of myself, husband, son (13), twin daughters (11) & my mother (??). Although DH & I have done a weekend taster cruise with P&O this will be our first cruising family holiday. I have done a little research about the ship & know she is currently Costa Europa & have read through much of this forum gathering information, but I am sure there is loads I still 'need' to know. We have booked 2 outside plus cabins each sleeping 3, would have like to upgrade to a deluxe or suite but costs were way to expensive. We choose Thomson as I like the idea of all tips being included and we also qualified to have the AI drinks plan included for free. One of my first questions is about the pullman berth beds as each cabin will be utilising one of these for the children. Looking at picures of the Europa cabins at present, the pullman looks as though it comes down from above the sofa - does anyone know if this is the case as I am hoping it is so that DH & I can have our bed in a queen configuration??

Enough for now, looking forward to discussing things with you all further .

Sorry can't help with the question, but welcome to the forum, we are a friendley bunch on here, (which is more than can be said for some of the other boards at the minute)

There are lots of very helpful, knowledgable and well travelled posters on here, like kruzseeka, who gave me lots of useful info when I first joined, so ask away and don't be scared to ask the really silly questions, as we've all asked them before! :)

Hello there jojo67 - and so pleased to be of help in the past, Rosebaskets. I have also received so much help from others: in the early days of joining the forum on just what cruising is all about, but later on with very specific information and help on destinations/DiY options/getting into town from the port/recommended attractions etc. I start enjoying my cruise from the moment of booking!!! Planning is all part of the fun.

Anyway, a warm welcome jojo67 :) and as Rosebaskets says, anything you want to know we'll try to help with. Unfortunately, I can't answer the question either - the Dream hasn't joined Thomson yet so I guess not many of us on here will have travelled on the Europa. Perhaps if you asked the question on the Costa site, there will be more people there who will have first hand experience of the cabins .

But enjoy the run-up to your cruise - reading as much as possible is a good start to making the most of your trip. Remember too to check out the destinations on Thomson's site so you can see what excursions are available and then see if other members have tried DiY options or have recommendations of things to see at each port. Happy cruising (and planning!) :)

Unfortunately, I can't answer the question either - the Dream hasn't joined Thomson yet so I guess not many of us on here will have travelled on the Europa. Perhaps if you asked the question on the Costa site, there will be more people there who will have first hand experience of the cabins .

Didn't think of that!! Thank you for your warm welcome, I'm sure lots more questions will follow. :)

Hi jojo67, I'm a new cruiser too, going on Dream in July, with hubby and 2 teenagers 14/16, so we'll probably be asking the same questions:) as it gets nearer. Where are you flying from? We're flying from Birmingham.

Hi!

We're flying from Bristol on July 27th, what date are you joining?? We are doing 14 nights, so 2 x 7 day back to back! The 27th is also my birthday, so really looking forward to our first cruise. My son will be 13 & I am a little concerned there won't be enough to keep him amused as Thomson Kidzone only caters upto 12?? I was hoping there would be a teen area but all the Thomson staff I've asked don't seem to know anything yet??

There were quite a few teenagers on the trip we did recently and they seemed to have some organised get-togethers - not sure what, but they certainly all ganged up (in a very nice way) and were seen round and about the ship in each other's company. They were often in High Spirits at night dancing together and it was really refreshing to see youngsters enjoying themselves and getting along so well. On the last evening they danced in a big circle with their arms around one another - it was quite heart warming when often all you hear is negative press.

We're flying from birmingham on the 27th but unfortunately only for one week. We've only just found 2 of us and already we've got 3 teenagers between us so I'm sure if theres nothing for them they'll make there own entertainment.

I shall see you onboard then!! I must look into setting up a role call to see who else will be joining us!:)

Hi jojo67, I'm a new cruiser too, going on Dream in July, with hubby and 2 teenagers 14/16, so we'll probably be asking the same questions:) as it gets nearer. Where are you flying from? We're flying from Birmingham.

Hello Jo and midland welcome both to the boards, we are looking to book on the Dream but will wait to we get back from the Spirit cruise first haha. sorry cant help with questions about dream but as all else say ..hard that one as none of us been on it yet but yus looking on the costa site is a fab idea.

Sorry can't help with the question, but welcome to the forum, we are a friendley bunch on here, (which is more than can be said for some of the other boards at the minute)

Just been on another forum (which I think is the one you refer to) and simply can't believe the condescending attitude of some posters. There are obviously some wits too (you included) but when you look beyond some of the jokes and humour, my word there are some very unpleasant sentiments flying around - and so personal!! Give me the friendly Thomson Forum any day :) (where people don't deride the smileys either!) I think the friendliness of Thomson ships is reflected in the posters and postings on here. Wonder what the atmosphere is like on ships where so many judgements are made on fellow passengers? :eek:

Anyway, sorry to hi-jack the thread, but have just picked up on what you meant and had to post back - I'm just so aghast!

Just been on another forum (which I think is the one you refer to) and simply can't believe the condescending attitude of some posters. There are obviously some wits too (you included) but when you look beyond some of the jokes and humour, my word there are some very unpleasant sentiments flying around - and so personal!! Give me the friendly Thomson Forum any day :) (where people don't deride the smileys either!) I think the friendliness of Thomson ships is reflected in the posters and postings on here. Wonder what the atmosphere is like on ships where so many judgements are made on fellow passengers? :eek:

Anyway, sorry to hi-jack the thread, but have just picked up on what you meant and had to post back - I'm just so aghast!

Couldn't have put it better myself!

The moderators have been exceptionally busy on the "Posh & Overrated" forum lately, pages and pages have disappeared, they bicker amongst themselves constantly and sometimes they insult each other on a very personal basis. A couple of months ago they turned on the OV cruises and to a lesser extent Thomson, which turned into an "us and them" war of words. The OV posters can hit with the best of them, but the Thomson cruises stayed out of it and they were soon forgotton.

They have sussed me out now and just ignore me! I think I aggravate, if not agitate them! I can't resist having a dig at their pomposity, arrogance and self rightousness (sorry spell checkers down and i'm tired!) as they take themselves sooooo seriously.

Having cruised with all 3 I can say with some confidence that Thomsons offer the best all round package for British customers with the best entertainment and the best waiters, and for me attract a fantastic set of customers with no snobbery or elitism. If Thomson had a better class of ship (which they seem to have gone for with the Dream) then i think there is no better company to travel with. Larger ships have no atmosphere, take a fortnight to memorise and are less welcoming, with no personal touches.

Again apologies to the OP, off at a tangent I know, but if anyones interested they should read about "How many evening shirts" for a general sence of the atmosphere on the board. (not that i'm trying to detract from this fine board you understand!)

Hi Jojo Welcome to our forum:) we are new to this as well me and the missus were of on the Spirit in eight weeks time on the Med Jewels cruise 23rd oct so we will let you know worits like, our family is all grown up now so were going on our honymoon after 31 years of marrage coudnt afford it before lol.

speak to you soon

Tom & Elizabeth

Good to hear from you again Rosebaskets. :) We obviously have the same 'take' on things - probably why we both rate the Thomson atmosphere - take everyone as you find them, respect everyone (until they give you cause not to!), appreciate the mix of people you meet on board, relax and enjoy the company (including, or especially, the crew too!). Of course we all occasionally have a meal with some fellow passengers and think 'We'll steer clear of them in future' (usually because they're moaners or too pompous or pretentious etc.) But on the whole I find 'good sorts' on Thomson and feel at home there. (We seemed to spend so much time wandering around like lost souls on one of the huge impersonal ships we travelled on.)

But a move to more up-to-date ships I think will be good for Thomson - and I hope this will continue but I just hope their 'product' remains the same so that the features we value don't disappear with the tired fixtures! I'm sure Thomson are aware of their selling points though so look forward to experiencing some new ships and the welcoming and friendly atmosphere on board! :)

Sorry about the off-shoot discussion jojo - but in reading this at least feel reassured that you can ask whatever questions you like and can have a friendly and supportive chat with other posters - at least on this forum! We sometimes have a different 'take' on things and have a healthy discussion but in my experience, these are almost always respectful exchanges and done in the spirit of all shades of opinion being expressed so questioners can get a full picture. ;)

P.S. Don't worry about the spelling rosebaskets - it's fine! (And if it wasn't I wouldn't be so rude as to point it out - unlike some we know!!:D )

Sorry about the off-shoot discussion jojo - but in reading this at least feel reassured that you can ask whatever questions you like and can have a friendly and supportive chat with other posters - at least on this forum! We sometimes have a different 'take' on things and have a healthy discussion but in my experience, these are almost always respectful exchanges and done in the spirit of all shades of opinion being expressed so questioners can get a full picture. ;)

Not a problem, it's nice to find such a friendly & informative bunch! It was for most of the reasons mentioned above that we ultimately chose Thomson cruises. My Mum did 2 weeks on the Ventura last year & said she was far too big, still couldn't find her way around after 2 weeks! Also with 3 children we wanted things a little more casual, but still traditional, if that makes sense?!

Hi cruisers,

We have been on our first cruise July/August this year we were on Thomson Destiny. Just the two of us my husband and myself, we had such a great time we have booked again for next year.

Thought you would like to know they had a teen zone on Destiny, don't think they done as much as the the kids zone, but they were all having a great time and were always together especially in the disco in the Oklahoma Lounge.

There was also table tennis and basketball and other things going on all the time.

I would imagine they would have much the same on Dream, I am sure you will all enjoy it.

Happy cruising:)

Archived