Service Charge for children

jnmrlk

It's kind of strange, but we did build a rapport with our waiter last year. I'm not much into doing that sort of thing but he was just so nice to all of us that it was impossible not to notice him... I still remember his name, it was spelled funny in his "label": Agusto. In Portugal there is the name Augusto but I never asked him because if it wasn't spelled the right way then it wouldn't be very nice for him. He was from Colombia, he came from Bogota and I even told him I have a friend who was born in Cali which he told me was a wealthier city. He always told us a bit about the next port and at the beggining it was just talk but since it was a 12 day cruise we ended up paying attention to him 'cause he kind of new a lot about the itinerary since he was doing it for some years... He was in his 50s/60s and the job looked kind of heavy for him, I sometimes felt sorry for him, specially one morning when we arrived early for breakfast and he was also there and he had been serving us for late dinner... :( He had to carry real heavy trays with all the plates and he didn't seem very young to be doing that so late and then so early. We ended up talking a bit and we kind of grew accostumed to him, of course he did know our preferences and tried to do the best to please everytime.

It's different from going to McDonald's. That's true. I don't know waht NCL is like though but it sure is scary to read you... :cool: specially 'cause I was the one booking these holidays and my mother in law is coming... :cool:

Sottovoce, I'm sorry if I said something to tick you off, but at least quote me correctly. I never said that I wanted to withhold a service charge because I wasn't given a children's menu. I simply said that I wasn't even aware that one was available. I had no problem feeding my son on the cruise. If I didn't see anything on the MDR's menu for him, I took him to Blue Lagoon before dinner. It just would have been nice to know that a menu was available. That's all. I did ask for one in Endless Summer and was told that "the menu is the menu." Since it was my first sail with NCL, I assumed that was the policy in all the restaurants. I suppose I should have asked in each one, but I didn't. My bad. I never said I wanted to withhold a gratuity.

As for building a rapport with your waiter, that is traditionally part of the cruise experience. I always enjoyed it. If you didn't enjoy it, so be it. No need to get snarky. Everyone has an opinion. Sorry if I voiced mine about the dining experience on NCL. It was good, but not great. Hit or miss each day. End of story. I had the same feeling with Celebrity a few years back, as well. So it's nothing personal about NCL.

That's my last word on the subject.

My first cruise on the Norway in 1986 was $900 for an inside ($1800 total). One can still cruise for that. Cruise prices are so competitive that coupled with the huge quantities people eat, it's no wonder cruiselines have to cut corners to be competitive. Pax to crew ratio and food quality are two variable costs that can be tweaked. Then there are revenue options available to add profit as well.

I love variety. So I don't give a hoot if someone remembers my likes and dislikes. What I chose last night does not mean I want it tonight. I can go to a different white tablecloth restaurant in Dallas each night and receive stellar service each time. So it can be on a ship. In fact, I like meeting different waiters... It's fun. Even in the Suite restaurant for breakfast and lunch, I enjoyed the rotation of servers.

Sottovoce, I'm sorry if I said something to tick you off, but at least quote me correctly. I never said that I wanted to withhold a service charge because I wasn't given a children's menu. I simply said that I wasn't even aware that one was available. I had no problem feeding my son on the cruise. If I didn't see anything on the MDR's menu for him, I took him to Blue Lagoon before dinner. It just would have been nice to know that a menu was available. That's all. I did ask for one in Endless Summer and was told that "the menu is the menu." Since it was my first sail with NCL, I assumed that was the policy in all the restaurants. I suppose I should have asked in each one, but I didn't. My bad. I never said I wanted to withhold a gratuity.

As for building a rapport with your waiter, that is traditionally part of the cruise experience. I always enjoyed it. If you didn't enjoy it, so be it. No need to get snarky. Everyone has an opinion. Sorry if I voiced mine about the dining experience on NCL. It was good, but not great. Hit or miss each day. End of story. I had the same feeling with Celebrity a few years back, as well. So it's nothing personal about NCL.

That's my last word on the subject.

Don't be sorry about anything - some on here are very angry people!

I can go to a different white tablecloth restaurant in Dallas each night and receive stellar service each time. So it can be on a ship. In fact, I like meeting different waiters... It's fun. Even in the Suite restaurant for breakfast and lunch, I enjoyed the rotation of servers.

Agreed. I live in NYC, so I know what you mean about stellar service in restaurants. Like you said, it can be on a ship & should be. Unfortunately, my experience was that it was not stellar about half of the time. When it was stellar, I really took notice and appreciated the service given to us the the waitstaff. I also thanked them with an extra gratuity. :)

Yes. Meeting new people does add to the vacation experience and it is one of the nice things about freestyle.

I don't have a problem with the prepaid gratuities, especially with the freestyle. I do feel that this might have some effect on the customer service received since the crew is not totally working for the tips. It just might take away some of the incentive. Not fo the exceptional workers, but for those others. Knowing you are going to get your gratuity no matter what can be a demotivator for some. Trying not to sound too cynical here!

I absolutely agree. I do not like the idea of an automatic service charge. I much preferred when we cruised on RCCL and they had a suggested gratuity, which we provided and then some for exceptional service.

I absolutely agree. I do not like the idea of an automatic service charge. I much preferred when we cruised on RCCL and they had a suggested gratuity, which we provided and then some for exceptional service.

It probably didn't work out 'cause too many people must have not accepted their suggestion...

Even having been on previous NCL cruises and knowing that there is a children's menu it was difficult to obtain. On our last cruise we never once were offered a children's menu and when we did ask they either had difficulty finding one or seemed put out by our request.

NCL could easily solve this issue. On the room service menu they print the children's items as one section of the menu. So NCL could do the same thing with the MDR menus; just use a little of all the white space and have a children's items section.

Some of the children's items, like the grilled cheese sandwich, are better tasting than some of the MDR entrees'.

Some of the children's items, like the grilled cheese sandwich, are better tasting than some of the MDR entrees'.

I am sailing on my first cruise ever in December (on the Jewel). Please advise as to which MDR entrees are inferior to a grilled cheese sandwich. Thank you.

Neil/Miami

I am sailing on my first cruise ever in December (on the Jewel). Please advise as to which MDR entrees are inferior to a grilled cheese sandwich. Thank you.

Neil/Miami

Funny thing, but whenever I ask a similar question, it never gets answered. ;):D

Neil/Miami

As far as I'm concerned, any of the seafood entrees. But that's just me. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, any of the seafood entrees. But that's just me. ;)

I didn't really care for the grouper. I do like seafood, but this was inedible. But, I informed the waiter that I didn't like it & he brought me something else with no hassle and no wait time! The roast pork and mashed potatoes was excellent. I also highly recommend the turkey breast.

Neil/Miami

So njhorseman I am going to reply. :)

First off I have never gone hungry on a cruise and can always find something tasty to eat. I did not say inferior; just taste better. The last cruise was an early part of the new static test menus on the Dawn (which has been discussed quite a lot on CC) and also at that time NCL had over-bought on fish. So the special almost every night was some type of tasteless white fish in some type of cloying sauce. Since the static menu test is currently on the Dawn, and not the Jewel, you will have more entree' choices that will change nightly.

The other taste issue occurs at any dining establishment that keeps food on steam tables. Some of the meat comes out dry and needs a sauce to tenderize and some of the shellfish becomes so rubbery you can bounce a fork on the meat. Whereas the grilled cheese is made fresh to order. Also the food in the 24 hour Blue Lagoon was made to order and very tasty.

One to avoid: Vegetable macaroni and cheese :eek:

• 1 month later...
Actually, many years ago when we would have neighborhood children mow our lawn or shovel snow from our driveway, we would pay them far less than you would have to pay an adult to do the same jobs. That was the big advantage to having those chores done by the neighborhood kids rather than professional lawn services and snow plowing services.

oh... who said we have to pay kids more 'these days'. I am still getting great rates employing my kids and their friends for odd jobs. With today's economy my kids are having a hard time finding work, and need money for homecoming dance tickets, movies, etc.... I am cashing in! ;)

Anyway, I am sorry if this was already answered, but just because I am new to NCL and want to fully understand:

- The 'service charge' is ACTUALLY a gratuity?

- I CAN prepare the charges?

- I CAN alter the amount if the service stinks?

- IF I DONT prepay, will my husband have to handle the little envelopes he hated on RCCL? In what other ways are you encouraged to tip if not prepaid?

Thanks for your answers!

As I understand it, there is an NCL employee incentive plan and that if funded both by NCL and the Daily Service Charge. Different employees participate in different segments of the incentive plan. Employee performance as observed by supervisors and comment cards do play a role in determining each employee's payout.

This is not the same as a "tip pool" as typically found in shoreside restaurants and bars, where the total daily tips (or shift tips) are divided up amongst the staff by a pre determined formula.

If you have seen that small pool on the bow of many NCL ships with S.T.Y.L.E. painted on its side, that is one of the perks of the incentive program (the program's name is S.T.Y.L.E. ). Its sort of like an award of employee of the week, etc) as to who gets to use that pool on their breaks. Most bar servers (and bar tenders) work on a sales quota program that has other rewards ... (15% auto gratuity)....I don't think that they participate in the DSC payouts.

I know some cruise lines do put a hold on your obc for a daily set amount to go for the gratuity charge for the services. I took along some phone cards to give along with extra money to tip those who served us throughout the week. They were greatly appreciated

Archived