New waves - Princess

coiran

If you are thinking of getting certified, you might look into doing a referral. This is where you do the school work and pool dives at home with a local dive shop. When you are done, you get a referral letter that you give to who ever is conducting your open water dives. In this case it would be the New Waves dive program on the ship.

If you think that your are only going to be diving once a year while on a cruise, it might be less expensive to just do the discover scuba (resort course) kind of diving.

I'm sorry that this doesn't answer you initial question. I'm assuming that you have already visited the newwaves.com web site.

Dear Ron and Connie,

As the certified scuba provider for many of the cruise lines here in Cozumel, this is how we handle "referral" dives, like bruce was talking about.

Essentially, you've already completed your academic training and confined water (or pool) training at a dive shop at home. Your instructor at home will issue you a "referral form" stating that you're ready to complete your open water training, which consists of 4 dives. These dives are conducted over a two day period, 2 dives each day.

People that complete their training with us, do two nice shore dives with our instructors, and the following day, generally in Grand Cayman, they complete the final two there, with a instructor over there.

It's a great way to avoid diving in horrible, dark, cold water, as well as getting to see not just one but two fantastic carribean areas. Also, it's my understanding if you complete it with the Princess program, you'll have the same Princess instructor in both areas.

As a dive instructor for 12 long years now, I really think, it's the best option, for fun, safety and range of experience.

Either way, whichever decision you make, you almost can't go wrong! Have a great time and enjoy your cruise.

Thanks

New waves is closed this week - The PADI is for my son (34) who is joining us on the cruise - Our son-in-law, also going is already certified.

We start in FLL, Princess cays, at sea, Cozumel, Cayman, Jamaica - will the pool instruction take place on the sea day and Princes cays? will the lake dives be in Cozumel and Cayman? Would it speed anything up if he did his pool instruction at home? The local dive shop wants $250 for the pool stuff and you have to have all of your own equipment, then he would do the Princess final for $189. Princess does the whole thing for $389 including equipment - it seems it would be better to do the whole thing with Princess or does this take a lot of free time.

Ron

I'm looking at getting certified since I really enjoyed the Discover Scuba dives on a recent cruise. $250 for the classroom and pool stuff sounds high especially if it doesn't include the equipment. Tuition around here for the whole open water class is running around $120 to 150. The shop with the $120 price had the most detail on their website about their course. It included diving equipment (tank, wetsuit, regulator, etc) for the pool sessions but not the fins, mask and snorkel (which I guess they expect most people will want to buy). It didn't include the course materials which are about $50 and the equipment for the open water dives ($70 for all the dives). You might want to check around more for prices.

Sand Dollar, I have a couple of questions about getting certified.

In the PADI directory, there are different levels for the dive centers and resorts - just plain PADI, 5 star, and golden palm. Is the difference important in choosing where to take the classes?

If one does a referral, how much time is okay between the class/pool part and the dives?

the difference in the PADI level is really only important when you're going up the the high level courses, for example, a gold palm PADI facility has permission to conduct courses to Instructor level and beyond, while a regular PADI resort goes up to Divemaster level. Unless you plan on making this your career, and I certainly didn't, it really doesn't make a big difference. However, my opinion (and I always have one) meet your instructor and see if you like them. I'm not talking about possible best friend or best man material, I'm talking about does this person seem knowledgable in the field, responsible, etc. Most shops will have a few instructors on staff and it's always best to check out the one that best suits you and your goals.

As a PADI instructor we have to adhere to certain standards, and one of them is no more than two training dives in one day, so if you're going to do your open water referral in say Cayman, and, ahem, Cozumel, the most you can do is two dives. That'll take about 3 hours each day.

As far as doing an open water course. Again, my opinion, unless your son is willing to give up about 5 hours a day, I'd do it at home. Also personal experience tells me that people, don't pay attention to the academic stuff as much, and also tend to cave in when family and friends want to go out and then show up at my door the next day without their homework done. However, I have seen some people really dedicate themselves. You know yourself and you know what you do on vacation.

I can't stress that relationship with your instructor enough. One of my big pet peeves, is that people always ask about price, or departure time, etc. However, only once in a blue moon, does someone ask me "so how long have you been an instructor? what's your background? are you a CPR instructor as well? Do you carry oxygen on your boat?" (Literally in 12 years of teaching only one person asked me the oxygen question!!)

Hi Laura

Do you know how the course works on the 7 day cruise - are all 7 days taken up? They offer a package whereby you can do the academic stuff at home - on ship is it a morning thing? How many days of pool instruction are there?

Perhaps I should wait till Jan 3 when newwaves open their offices - although you have been a big help.

Ron

Hi Laura

Do you know how the course works on the 7 day cruise - are all 7 days taken up? They offer a package whereby you can do the academic stuff at home - on ship is it a morning thing? How many days of pool instruction are there?

Perhaps I should wait till Jan 3 when newwaves open their offices - although you have been a big help.

Ron

I'm not Laura, but I think I can answer part of your question. You have to have the class work and pool sessions done before the open water dives because it is during these 4 dives where you demonstrate what you have learned in class and practiced in the pool.

I would say that you should at least do the academic stuff at home before the cruise. That way a person can take their time with the material and not feel rushed. Then all you would have to do is the pool work before they can do their open water dives. I think that they do the pool stuff when the ship is at Princess Cays and the first sea day.

OK - sounds good - if one can do the pool stuff on the first 2 days - one would not miss a lot of other activities - Now - Is it possible to do do 2 lake dives per day - 2 in Cozumel and 2 in Grand Cayman?

Ron

I'm not sure why you think there are lake dives. The certification normally requires practicing the skills in a confined body of water (usually a pool but it doesn't have to be) and 4 open water dives which can be in a lake or ocean. I expect that the 4 open water dives would be done in ocean rather than a lake since you are in the Caribbean.

All the programs I'm looking at do two dives (or more) per day.

I think the description on this site is for the New waves program program:

http://www.7blueseas.com/bestcruises/article.asp?CatID=3&ArtID=198

While Bruce-R's reply is correct, you can do the academic portion at home, leaving only the confined water (aka pool) and open water dives (yay!), in MY opinion (and we know, I have lots) it's not always the best option. Doing hte academics beforehand is great, and eliminates need to do homework while the rest of your party wants dine and dance, you've still got the confined water portion, as well as the quizzes and final exam. The confined water portion is generally done at sea days, but that's still time away from loved ones. Also, if you're going to have to take an exam, I'd want all that material to be fresh in my head, and, lastly, the confined water portion works well in conjunction with the academics. If you do them at home together, I find that they "stick" a little better. Again, my opinion.

And I do think that Bruce is totally right on about the best dive destinations in the caribbean being Cayman and Cozumel, but I'm a little biased in that department!!

Have a great day!

Our onboard certification...

We received the DVD and books a few weeks before the cruise. After reading the entire book, the DVD is sort of boring reinforcement. All in all, it took the better part of a weekend to do the home study.

Onboard we met our instructor the first morning for an 8:00-10:00 review of the course materials and then were free to hit Princess Cays. I think we did some pool work that afternoon too. Sum total the onboard classroom review took no more than 4 hours total (two separate mornings). The pool work is planned to be completed in two afternoon sessions that should take about 3 hours each. One caveat... the pools are shallow and sometimes out of order. Your schedule for pool work might change and the pools are not ideal for some of the exercises.

Our first two open water certification dives were shore dives in Cayman at Don Fosters. A decent dive site (not phenomenal), but you spend the majority of your time demonstrating skills etc. Our second two open water certification dives were in Cozumel. Again two shore dives. I think they called the site The Grill or something. Not a bad site. Huge brain coral and a couple small stingrays. About half of the dive time was doing skills and the other half just checking stuff out.

I thought the New Waves price was extremely reasonable. It includes everything you need to get certified (all rental gear etc.). If you for some reason (bad weather, sinus trouble, etc.) cannot complete all of your open water check out dives, you still may be able to get a PADI certification that will allow you to go diving with a divemaster.

--” Do you know how the course works on the 7 day cruise - are all 7 days taken up? They offer a package whereby you can do the academic stuff at home - on ship is it a morning thing? How many days of pool instruction are there?"-- The four open water dives will take up most all of two port stops, the pool work should be about two 3 hour sessions onboard, and the classroom review about two 2 hour sessions.

In summary, I would try to go the referral route if you can do the pool and course work at home. If not, the onboard program is good and should not take too much of your time away from bingo etc. Let's face it, you are going to have fun either way you do it!

Thanks bullinohio

This is for my son (34) - not myself - he will be joining us on the cruise. It sounds like he won't miss much, the first stop being the cays and the second a sea day - third day is Cozumel ant fourth day is Cayman (if there is anything left) - then a stop in Jamaica - maybe he can do a boat dive in Jamaica - I can't even swim and too old to learn.

Ron

Bullinohio

Do you have a schedule from the newwaves program that lists days, hours and events?

New waves is closed until tomorrow - I am going to try them and see if they can send me a schedule for the week we will be there.

Ron

Our son, Ron, will be there - If you are single - I will make sure he looks you up!! Where is the grill? The rest of our group nis planning on doing Paradise Beach in the morning and slumming downtown Cozumel in the afternoon - we have been to Coz several times - need to pick up some vanilla, Tequila and Kahlua.

Ron

Archived