Ironing Boards In Cabins

RECPILOT

There are no irons or ironboards on celebrity. I bring my steam iron and use that, if something is really wrinkled I send it with the Seward to be pressed. I find their dry cleaning charges are in line with what I pay here in New York, so if something needs to be dry cleaned I wait until we board the ship

RECPILOT....

I would recommend budgeting the small amount it will cost to have the few things pressed. Then, just throw it into your suitcase....and no worries!

The ship will do a good job.

Enjoy your vacation!

I have done it all ways: bringing an illegal iron, trying to get the clothes there in a pressed condition, and having the ship do it for me for a fee.

Three weeks ago we were on Constellation and I took with me the "Laundry List" receipt with all of the items and services listed and priced.

If you or anyone else is interested I can copy and list the prices for whatever items and service that you will need. I think the prices are the same for all Celebrity's fleet.

Wes

I learned to save the plastic bags clothes that are sent to the cleaners come in. I have packed my clothes, on hangers, here again from the cleaners, and in those plastic bags. For the last two cruises I have done this and haven't had to send anything to be pressed. I am too afraid of fires to bring an iron to the ship, and I truly wish others would feel as I do. The cruise lines say no irons and I do respect that. For items that need to be pressed, the price is quite reasonable and I have done that many times before I decided to try the plastic bags.

Katie

Katie...

I completely agree about the irons being a fire hazard.

When I brought my travel iron onboard, it was our very first cruise....and I was ignorant.

It really is a hazard.

I sailed on a Princess Ship a year ago...and they have a laundry room in the cabin areas....complete with washers/dryers and irons/boards. The irons are on timers...so they go off after 10-15 minutes. This laundry room was very, very nice to have....and I have missed them when I sail on Celebrity.

Curling irons and clothes irons are completely different. You generally use your curling iron on a hard surface which won't really burn easily because the temps of the curling iron isn't all that hot. Most people tend to iron their clothes either on the floor (carpeting is very flamable and because carpet fiber can melt very easily because of what they are made of) or on the bed (also highly flamable) and clothes irons are usually much hotter than curling irons.

The clothes iron argument is pointless-the ships (all lines) don't allow them in staterooms and the crews are required to report irons to the ship's Safety Officer, who is responsible for taking any appropriate action (usually just speaking with the passengers). Some housekeeping staff will sometimes cut passengers a little slack but they are under strict instructions not to.

Why is it that you can take a curling iron ( that could just as easily start a fire), but not an iron? I think you have to be responsible with whatever you use. I can't find anything in my Celebrity documents that says no irons.
Hi Venicegal,

I do believe that some of 'us' are more responsible than others and in the wrong hands an iron can be a fire hazard - although I wonder how many fires got started by the iron and how many were started by someone smoking - both a fire hazard....... but rules conected with safety - especially at sea are very important and I feel should be obeyed by all for everyone's sake. The problem with the 'unwritten rule for the iron' - is, that is not listed anywhere and a first time cruiser has no idea that the iron should not be used untill 'one' gets on board the ship.

I have asked in the past (on this board) the same exact question as you have stated: "I can't find anything in my Celebrity documents that says no irons." - neither did I and I looked at every document. I do believe that Celebrity should print this information - other cruise lines do.

On the last cruise three weeks ago I did see for the very first time a video about safety and there was a segment about irons and their forbiden usage.

Wes

No irons or boards on board!!!!.......DH sends his shirts to be pressed and his workout gear to laundry b/c it just doesnt dry. You can hang your cotton/linen things in the bathroom while you shower...that is what I do!!! Steams the wrinkles right out!

Wow I haven't seen this 'debate' in a while.

Why do you want to iron on vacation?

I try not to iron, even at home. The dry cleaner does an exceptional job.

Your on vacation, give yourself a break, let the ship's laundry do it.

There are no ironing boards available to cabins on Celebrity ships.

Usually I get my items pressed by the ship, (its a trivial fee really when you think of having to make room for an iron in luggage, haul it with you, find room for an ironing board or something like it in your cabin, iron while on vacation... etc LOL). Tip for you though... www.oreck.com has travel steamers on sale right now. $9.00 and FREE shipping and handling! How can you go wrong. It even has an attachment for creases. I find it to be so handy after dinner on a formal night. I have this one silk skirt that I have pressed he day before, but after sitting at dinner, it gets slightly creased again! What's a girl to do? Break out the travel steamer of course! Also, these make great Bon Voyage gifts, for friends you have that are sailing. :)

The clothes iron argument is pointless-the ships (all lines) don't allow them in staterooms and the crews are required to report irons to the ship's Safety Officer, who is responsible for taking any appropriate action (usually just speaking with the passengers). Some housekeeping staff will sometimes cut passengers a little slack but they are under strict instructions not to.

Carry it, use it, and have never been reported in 20 weeks on Celebrity.... use it on the glass table... We were on the Zenith for 28 days last year.. had my tux shirts laundered but rinsed items sometimes need a touchup... and laundry... they charge more to wash some items than the cost to purchase...

And of course that makes it right. Some folks are special and don't have to abide by the good common sense rules.

Good common sense engineering such as on the older HAL ships and Princess (hate to praise them here..) would have avoided the problem Celebrity created for themselves.. It would not be a problem on shorter cruises but on long cruises we find it necessary.. We don't think of ourselves as needing special treatment.. just think of ourselves as more practical then Celebrity planned for..

Bethwte,

Thanks for the info on the steamer. I have wanted one for a while. Not, that I need it for a cruise, but it would come in handy other times.

C2C,

Will you please post on the Celebrity board the dates of cruises you are taking so that I am sure not to be on board? Just because you never "got caught" with an iron, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. I guess the rules apply to only certain people.

It never fails to amaze me how the iron threads take off, and go on and on and on....I think the question was answered.

Ours tho lite, has never taken off on its own.. :D

Our prime minister, Pierre Trudeau, once stated that the nation (government) has no business in the bedrooms of the nation.. What goes on behind closed doors is no-one's business but our own.... we find ironing so subversive...

Bethwte,

C2C,

Will you please post on the Celebrity board the dates of cruises you are taking so that I am sure not to be on board? Just because you never "got caught" with an iron, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. I guess the rules apply to only certain people.

My ticket never told me not to iron my clothes... by the way I also bring my own wine... I like to have a couple of glasses while the domestic chores get done..

Try not to cruise too often, you're bound to stumble into my cabin while the iron is running loose.. the dates of my sailings are listed in my signature..

“There is nothing under the sun better for man than to eat, drink, and be merry. Go, therefore, eat your bread with joy and drink your wine with cheer.” Ecclesiastes 8:15

ARNO's wanderlust: Veendam <1/15/05> Zenith <1/30/05> Galaxy <5/7/05> Galaxy <5/23/05> Galaxy <10/17/05> Veendam <11/26/05>

:eek:

It never fails to amaze me how the iron threads take off, and go on and on and on....I think the question was answered.

Wow I never realized how interesting this topic could get.. When was this discussed before?. perhaps we could share tips on the lightest iron, ships that sank because of heavy irons, or ironing jobs that were outsourced and led to massive unemployment on board, or declining Celebrity revenues by pax taking jobs from underpaid staff...

I just love it when insignificant comments get some people in such a tizzy... People that don't want to cruise because a "contraband" iron is in my cabin... :rolleyes:

C2C

I am getting a lot of amusement out of this thread and your attitude. I do think it's a serious matter, but your sense of humor is great. I just don't want to go on a cruise KNOWING you will have an iron there. Darn, I wish you didn't really have the dates on your signature, then I wouldn't know FOR SURE that you could be on my cruise. Anyway, hide the "contraband".

Archived