Le Mederian Pyramid Hotel-Cairo

ptcellen

Hi everyone,

We will be staying at the Le Mederian pyramid hotel in Cairo in Nov. Wanted to know if it pays to pay extra for a pyramid view room if we are arriving after dark, and leaving at 7:30 a.m. the next morning? Also has anyone eaten dinner in the hotel and was it safe(mummy tummy?) If so, which restaurant and was it expensive. Thank you in advance.

Ellen:)

Can't speak to the view room (but why pay for a view you can't appreciate?) but be very careful with food and drink everywhere in Egypt, even the best hotels (I speak from experience). Best route is cooked vegetarian with carbonated soda or water, absolutely NO ice.

I agree - drink carbonated drinks or drinks hot to the touch (tea , coffee).

As an added precaution avoid fruit and dairy.

I am unclear as to why you should restrict yourself to vegetarian dishes.

Follow these guidelines and enjoy your dining experience in any of the 5 star venues in Cairo.

Smooth sailing...

Cooked vegetarian dishes=less likely to encounter contaminated, undercooked or spoiled meat dishes. Travel the streets and become aware of the "care" that goes into storage of raw meat.

Oh I see...yes, I think I have walked those streets. Right!

I was thinking more in context of food preparation in a 5 star venue like Starwood's Le Meridien. Did you have a bad experience with food prep. in a 5 star hotel?

Smooth sailing...

Here is the relevant notation from the US State Department website:

It is generally safe to eat properly-prepared, thoroughly-cooked meat and vegetables in tourist hotels, on Nile cruise boats, and in tourist restaurants. Eating uncooked vegetables should be avoided. Tap water is not potable. It is best to drink bottled water or water that has been boiled and filtered. Well-known brands of bottled beverages are generally considered to be safe.

The emphasis is my own.

If I may say, that reflects the experience of ourselves and our friends and colleagues. Also, 5 star hotels and dining rooms are many steps above ordinary tourist hotels and restaurants in Egypt.

Of course, you should take whatever added precautions you feel comfortable with.

Hope this helps.

Smooth sailing...

Thank you so much for checking out the information on that web site. We will be extremely careful with what we eat and where we eat,:) and hopefully mummy tummy will stay away. When we were in Israel 20 years ago, I got very sick, so I am more cautious than many.

Ellen

Hi everyone,

We will be staying at the Le Mederian pyramid hotel in Cairo in Nov. Wanted to know if it pays to pay extra for a pyramid view room if we are arriving after dark, and leaving at 7:30 a.m. the next morning? Also has anyone eaten dinner in the hotel and was it safe(mummy tummy?) If so, which restaurant and was it expensive. Thank you in advance.

Ellen:)

Stayed there 4 years ago, very nice hotel with excellent food; we had the good value lunch and evening buffets without any ill effects.

We had a Pyramid view room, but although you can see them clearly it is from across a very busy main road. So for your times not really worth it.

Stayed there for 5 days a few years ago. Ate many meals at the hotel , drank lots of non-bottled water, with ice and had zero problems. Their breakfast buffet, which was included in our booking was excellent with lots of different stations offering a wide variety of foods.

Agree the view rooms are not worth it. The street noise in unbelievable late into the night and starts early in the morning.I would ask for a garden view room. You can enjoy the view of the pyramids from the second floor restaurant which can be reached form steps by the lovely swimming pool.Get a table near the edge and order a drink if you don't want to eat. We had kabobs there - a lot of fun to cook at your table.

Archived