Roll Call - June 21st 2010, Celebration from Marmaris

Hi

As there's no roll call area for Thomson Cruises, thought we'd start one here... we're on the Celebration on 21st and 28th June 2010, first week we're a group of 5 as we've one set of parents on tour too second week just the 3 of us... anyone else booked already?

All the best

David , Jan and James

• 4 months later...

Six of us are going but on the 7th June for two weeks, so we get off as you get on! It's the first time on Celebration for all of us and the first time to Greece and Turkey for four of us. Just come back from the Caribbean over Christmas and finished the unpacking, so gearing up now to start some research into the ports on this itinerary. Have you been to this area before?

Carol x

Carol

Hi - I'm Mrs Dopeyngrumpy and saw your post

We've been to some of the ports before with Ocean Village.

Rhodes - you can walk off the ship and through the arch in the city wall straight into the old town and there is a good deal of shops and sights to see. We visited the castle, paid the fee and spent a good hour or so in there. Lots of places to eat and the food was good. We saw many walking tours and they were a waste of money in our opinion unless you really want a guide- we brought with us a greece and turkey book from waterstones and it was great.

Santorini - we chose a morning trip to Oia and a winery - Absolutely beautiful - blue domed white buildings and then they dropped us in Santorini - we fell in love with the place. You can do this on your own if necessary in santorini but you can't get to Oia unless you hire a car- you tender into the dock and ride the cable car upto the top if doing it on your own, or walk all the stairs or ride a donkey (not recommended, even the ships warn you not to - a woman on our trip got her arm broken on one) . Lots of lovely glass and I recommend the bar right next to the cable car at the top - lovely view and not expensive - as some of the sea view places are.

Kusadasi - we took a trip to the church of the virgin mary and esphesus and really enjoyed it - the guide was good and there were even goats in the trees. In the afternoon we walked round Kusadasi - it even has a starbucks in the port. Lots of knock off goodies - great price pashminas. There is a port shopping area with the expensive shops. Typical greek holiday place with a burger king and choice of good restaurants for local food. Has a beach too. You can pay here in £ Euro or local currency and you get the best deal in local currency.

Mykanos - we docked out of town and paid for the shuttle - or it can be walked in 30 minutes. Once in the centre, here they filmed Shirley Valentine - you can walk round mazes of streets, see the windmills and even the pelican that lives on the beach. We'd seen everything in the morning and took the opportunity to get some space on the ship near the pool for a relaxing drink.

I do hope some of this helps but ask me anything you want to know, if you want me to dig out the book I will and let you know which book it is.

We do find that Thomsons excursions are usually a decent price and don't quibble over using them but to be honest so many ports can be just walked yourself, it you are able.

thanks

Jan

Thanks for this information Jan, we have been to the Caribbean several times now so know what to expect there but Greece and Turkey are all new and unknown. Once we get over this awful weather and can start thinking about the summer we will all be really excited about going! I can't quite picture it yet, I will have to start watching my DVD of Mama Mia!

I have friends who have family that live in Rhodes and he advised me it was a port to just wander in. We are there until 10p.m. I think so we will probably have a meal out as we love to try the local food and drink wherever we can.

The others (my mum and dad, husband and friends) all laugh at me for the time I spend on these forums but the tips I pick up are invaluable. They are always saying to me "How do you know all this then?"!! I shall make my notes over the next few months!

Carol x

Hi

We're booked on the Celebration on the 21st June from Marmaris, Cruise and Stay. Really looking forward to it. This is our first cruise so we're not sure what to expect but everyone on here seems really positive and friendly.

Janet and Ed:)

Welcome Janet and Ed ...

Yes most on here are friendly enough, if a little opinionated - it is a great (and free) place to share ideas, tips , tricks and so on. We've done a few cruises now and still love the Thomson service, so here and in other boards if you've any questions ask away!

David

Thanks David, Jan and James

The one thing we're unsure about is that we've booked with the basic Deck 1/2 inside cabin, not wanting an outside on Deck 1 as it's too near the sea, and can't make our mind up whether to book a cabin. We would like a quiet spot not near family cabins but don't know which is best. At the moment we're going round in circles about it. Any help please.

Ed and Janet

Thanks David, Jan and James

The one thing we're unsure about is that we've booked with the basic Deck 1/2 inside cabin, not wanting an outside on Deck 1 as it's too near the sea, and can't make our mind up whether to book a cabin. We would like a quiet spot not near family cabins but don't know which is best. At the moment we're going round in circles about it. Any help please.

Ed and Janet

Hi Ed and Janet

Can't really advise on those decks as we've not been there though friends did rate them highly. That said - we do pay to pick a cabin - at least then it's only our fault if we're next to the cleaning closet, the lift, below the sunbeds, the kitchen or similar. I'd look at the deck plans above and below and if there are are more rooms you don't want than do then it's worth the £39.. if you're relaxed about what is nearby then save it for an excursion or drink or two.

This is our 3rd time on the Celebration and we are really looking forward to it.

David

Paul has had surgery twice on his nose and throat, and spent a night in hospital wired up with electrodes to monitor his snoring levels (a job from hell or what!).

His consultant is quite happy with the improvement in his snoring and does not need to see him again. Pity he doesn't have to share a bedroom with him!!!

He currently uses a nose spray and a throat spray and I have my ear plugs. And they say romance is dead! (He's a lovely chap, but you don't want to sit next to him on an overnight flight, ha ha!).

Carol x

Oh dear!! My hubby's not that bad, thank goodness.

Better get back to the thread. Had a look at the excursions yesterday and thought that the first 3 stops in Turkey were the best ones. The Greek stops are easy to DIY on foot, especially Rhodes Town. Wouldn't fancy doing Istanbul ourselves, everything's so big and busy in the city. I had a look at independent tours on the web and it's a bit difficult to convert euros and dollars to pounds. Doesn't seem that much difference to me.

Any thoughts?

Jan

Hi Jan from Jan!

Thomson excursions tend to be ok priced, much better than the american ship prices. I must admit there are always lots of taxis about at every port but although we've been with them twice before we've only ever organised private ones when we are on NCL.

We enjoyed in Kusadasi doing the half day Virgin mary and Esphesus trip and then you can walk round the town in the afternoon, if you are into ruins and history. Lots of cats at esphesus and our guide took biscuits and they all came running to see us. Lots of walking here but well described by the tour guide and there were many groups there too so if you can't stand crowds, don't do it.

We're going to definitely do a trip in Istanbul and decided on the Troy trip the next day rather than galipoli. We're going to do all the others on foot most likely - although if the ship docks in mykanos outside the ferry area, we will need a shuttle or taxi into town.

We have my dad, step mum, mother and father in law with us but we've decided for everyone to chose what they want to do and if we pick the same we go together and if not we will see them for dinner. There is no way mum in law will manage some of the areas with her walking stick and she's really not fussed about getting off every day.

bye for now

Jan

Hi Jan

You're thinking on the same lines as us re. Istanbul, Troy and Ephesus, then DIY the others. Had a look at the excursions on the website, plenty of choice for Istanbul.

Jan

Havent booked yet but like the itinery and the Celebration, I would not be put off by not doing Istanbul on ones own, there is a tram just left outside the port gates purchase a token, think it was a euro and off into the city, not far, get off just over the bridge spice market, carry on a little further to the temples all within easy walking distance of each other, carry on a little further up the hill to the kasbar, a masvive maze of a market, return tram back to port.

That sounds interesting. We would like to know if we can get a tram that goes close to the Blue Mosque and/or Topkapi Palace. Also where on the Google Map of Istanbul does the ship dock so we can get our bearings. If there are trams close by it would be easy but we don't like going into the city without transport nearby as it is too hot and chaotic and we just end up sitting on a wall in some rough part of town like 2 village idiots, LOL. Found a good website on Istanbul http://www.frommers.com/destinations/istanbul which has plenty of information.

Ed and Janet

That sounds interesting. We would like to know if we can get a tram that goes close to the Blue Mosque and/or Topkapi Palace. Also where on the Google Map of Istanbul does the ship dock so we can get our bearings. If there are trams close by it would be easy but we don't like going into the city without transport nearby as it is too hot and chaotic and we just end up sitting on a wall in some rough part of town like 2 village idiots, LOL. Found a good website on Istanbul http://www.frommers.com/destinations/istanbul which has plenty of information.

Ed and Janet

Find the 'Golden Horn' - the stretch of water which divides the Western half of Istanbul. At the mouth of the Golden Horn is the Gelata Bridge. Our ship was berthed on the opposite side of the bridge from where the main attractions lie (Blue Mosque, Bazaar, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi etc.) - but not too far 'round the corner'. Over the bridge and to the right across the waterfront we could clearly see the Celebration from the main tourist area. In fact, as there was a marathon on one of the days we were there, the trams had stopped so we had to walk in - doable but tiring given you then want to walk around all the attractions too! It's best to get the tram really as it does save quite a bit of leg-work and as others have said, it's cheap and reliable (except for marathon days!!:D)

When we did get the tram, we got off at the Bazaar then walked to the main attractions, the Blue Mosque, Topkapi and Hagia Sophia and Cisterns which are all in the same area so it's easy to get from one to the other on foot. You can see the Spice Market entrance if you stand with your back to the Gelata Bridge when you've crossed over from the berth area. The main sights are quite compact. The Topkapi gets very busy - we went there first to try to beat the rush. Entrance fee doesn't get you into the Harem though - you have to pay extra for that but we thought it was worth it as it contained some of the most impressive parts of the Palace. Istanbul's a fascinating place. Enjoy! :)

Just seen this thread on another forum about the tram stops - it might be helpful. We found it easy getting into Istanbul - just be sure you know the name of the stop where you got on - there are tube-style maps of routes on the tram stop shelters so can follow your route - and for getting back!

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1124603

Thanks Kruzseeker that was really helpful. Looks like we might save a lot of money as the all day trip, returning for lunch, is about £46 I think. Double that up for 2. We can save our money for trips that we can't do ourselves in the time allowed. How long do you think it took you to get around and back. According to the itinerary we are in port from 08.00 to 18.00 so looks like an early start.

Ed and Janet

Thanks Kruzseeker that was really helpful. Looks like we might save a lot of money as the all day trip, returning for lunch, is about £46 I think. Double that up for 2. We can save our money for trips that we can't do ourselves in the time allowed. How long do you think it took you to get around and back. According to the itinerary we are in port from 08.00 to 18.00 so looks like an early start.

Ed and Janet

You're welcome :) We had a half-day on our first day and did the Bazaar, Spice Market, Blue Mosque (have to check you don't clash with prayers) then walked back to the ship over the Gelata bridge (quite an experience in it's own right).

The second day we headed off quite early to get to Topkapi then did the Hagia Sophia, had a tea outside the Hagia Sopia, wandered leisurely around for quite a long time and over the bridge getting back to the ship around 4pm - remembering we had to walk both ways (you could probably save about an hour if you get the tram compared with us having to walk). I think it's quite doable to go to the Topkapi, then the Blue Mosque and/or Hagia Sophia and Spice Market or Bazaar in one day if you start early and keep going - I think you'll be surprised how much you can see in the day as you have got quite a long day there - but it is tiring! Enjoy! :)

Archived