Beach excursions in Cabo

luvronijean

The last time I was in Cabo, I remember there being plenty of vendors when you first get off the ship, offering rides to Lands End and other excursions. Seems like the price was anywhere from $12.00 and up. I'm assuming this was just a water taxi service, maybe more. Has anyone every used any of these? My daughter recently lost her job and was considering cancelling her cruise but I'm trying to show her thier are plenty of things to do without spending lots of money. I figured in Ensenada we would just walk around some since we've been there many times but she has never been to Cabo.

Any idea's?

The water taxi tours are usually about $10/pp. They take you out past Land's End, to the arch, to the Pacific side at Divorce Beach and the marina side at Lover's beach and the sea lion colony. This takes about 30 minutes. Then you can have them drop you off at Medano beach which is about 10 minutes away. This is the main beach in Cabo lined with resturants and bars and a good place to spend the rest of the day.

No it is $10 for a 30 minute tour. They usually charge $3/pp each way from the beach to the marina. See if you can get the whole thing for $10/pp for the tour and to the beach. Make sure to negociate the price before you get in the boat. The water taxis will be lined up and waiting to take you back from the beach for another $3/pp.

This is the main beach in Cabo lined with resturants and bars and a good place to spend the rest of the day.

Is there just ONE place for the water taxis to drop you off on Medano beach? Or can you pick the spot to be dropped off? Also, where would you recommend going for CHEAP beers! Thanks

You can pick the place. Most of the bars have happy hour. I like Tabascos and the Sand Bar which are at the far end of the beach and a little quieter. Tabascos has an all day happy hour- 2x1 on drinks, not sure on beer!

Can you walk to Medano beach from the cruise terminal? Or do you have to take the water taxi?

thank you

Claudette

There is no terminal, Cabo is a tender port.

It would be a long walk all around the marina area and then over. Maybe 30 minutes if you walk fast. You don't have to take a water taxi, you can also take a regular taxi for $10 total. They will be line up on the small alley right when you step off the tender pier.

You can pick the place. Most of the bars have happy hour. I like Tabascos and the Sand Bar which are at the far end of the beach and a little quieter. Tabascos has an all day happy hour- 2x1 on drinks, not sure on beer!

Does Tabascos & Sand Bar have a swim beach and are they close to each other? Also how is the snorkeling? Thanks again for all your info...you sound very well informed of this area!

Linda

No snorkling on Medano beach. Tabascos and the Sand Bar are very close to each other at the far end of the beach. There are roped off swimming areas all along the beach so it is very safe as watercraft cannot enter these areas.

Glad to be able to help. We go to Cabo 2-3 times per year for 10-14 days at a time!:) We've been doing land vacations there since our first cruise stopped there in 1994! We are currently looking at condos there and are hoping to live there half the year in less than 5 years. It is our "happy" place!

House Hunter, You sound like a definite expert on Cabo which is what I need. If you were only going to make one trip to Cabo what is not to be missed and how would you go about doing it? We will be there in Jan. and any help would be great, thanks!

:)It really depends on what you like to do. If I had never been there before, I would get off the ship asap! Grab a water taxi at the dock and do the 30 minute Land's End tour for about $10/pp. If you are a beach person, I would then have the water taxi drop you off at Medano beach at the far end at Tabascos where you can have a great breakfast or lunch and some cocktails for 2 for 1! Spend a few hours at the beach relaxing, drinking, swimming etc.

Then I would walk back to the tender pier thru town stopping to shop and maybe more cocktails along the way.

If the beach is not for you, maybe a snorkle trip or swim with the dolphins?

Since we go so often, we are now in a major rut. We can be there for 2 weeks and maybe only do 1 tour. We visit with friends, hang at the pool or beach, nap go out for dinner, sleep in, repeat. We are probably boring! And we love it!

Do the water taxis that take you out to the Arch and then to Medano pull up to a dock or do you have to jump out into the water. We have seniors with us and they won't be able to handle anythin too unstable.

We took the water taxi from the tender point to the other side of the marina last year and were shocked when someone met us at the dock there and charged us another $1@ to get off the taxi! Plus our water taxi ride was $4@, not $3@.

No snorkling on Medano beach. Tabascos and the Sand Bar are very close to each other at the far end of the beach. There are roped off swimming areas all along the beach so it is very safe as watercraft cannot enter these areas.

Glad to be able to help. We go to Cabo 2-3 times per year for 10-14 days at a time!:) We've been doing land vacations there since our first cruise stopped there in 1994! We are currently looking at condos there and are hoping to live there half the year in less than 5 years. It is our "happy" place!

What is the best place for parasailing? And what do you think would be a good price? We have 8 peple and would go tandem. Also,what does San Jose have? Would it be interesting for teenagers? Thanks for your reply!

What is the best place for parasailing? And what do you think would be a good price? We have 8 peple and would go tandem. Also,what does San Jose have? Would it be interesting for teenagers? Thanks for your reply!

I have never parasailed in Cabo. Medano beach is where most of the water activities are. I have no idea of the price. When you first get off the tender boats and start walking around the marina there will be a huge group of people trying to sell tours and activites. There are always parasail guys there too.

San Jose is a small, more authentic Mexican town centered around a nice church and town square. You will find smaller shops and restuarants in the heart of the town though the outskirts now look like the US complete with an Applebees and McDonalds. I don't like that! San Jose is about 30 minutes from Cabo and about a $40-$50 cab ride each way for up to 4. Teenagers will be bored there and will have much more fun hanging on Medano beach in Cabo.

We always walk to Solmar Beach via the lobby of the Hotel Solmar, and go south to the end of the beach for a little sunning. There is no charge for passing through the hotel. In fact, they seem to welcome anyone who visits. The recent-most time a Mexican father and son asked us if we wanted to be shown how to go the Lovers Beach (which is an "excursion" for the cruise lines). I always thought that one could get there if you don't mind a little bit of "boulder hopping." We politely declined, but they continued on over the rocks. I later climbed to the top of the "first bit of rocks," which revealed that it would take another bit of boulder hopping to actually get to that beach. We usually spend an hour or two on the beach, which is almost vacant of people, before going back to the hotel. At any rate, we usually go back to the Hotel Solimar for a couple of fish tacos and a beer before returning back to the ship. To get to Solmar Beach, just go towards the Pacific Ocean off of the cruise dock (it's only about 1/4 mile). We saw whales off of Cabo, plus I witnessed a stingray leaping and flipping near the ship on one trip on the Golden Princess.

Will we need to be wearing our swim suits when we get off the water taxi in Medano or will it work to be wearing capris? How deep is the water we will be getting off and on the taxi?

I would wear shorts over your swimsuits. It really depends on the water conditions. It could be about knee to thigh high and if the waves are rough, you'll get even wetter.

You are a wealth of information, I hope this question doesn't sound too stupid. We are interested in Medano Beach for the day. I get jumping off the boat to get to the beach. How about getting back on? Do they pick you up in the same spot? I have a bad knee, I'll jump off anything, climbing back on is another story. LOL

Thanks for your help,

Bella

Archived