Anyone else anxiously waiting for a cabin number?

debsjc

Just got room for dec 13 very dissapointed got last room on deck 5 end of boat. should have went with NCL at least there i had better rooms :(

A guarantee is the luck of the draw. That is why we always book the least we would be happy with. The least for us is the cheapest balcony. Now, in our case, we are not prone to sea sickness, so we do not have to be midship. If we did have a tendency toward seasickness we would NOT book a guarantee.

BTW, I noticed you booked the Pearl last year. You do know last fall, cruises were not selling well (up until Christmas)- we also were on the Pearl (Thanksgiving week, so before you) last fall. We booked in early October,so after final payment time-we did the guarantee/ cheapest balcony and was up graded to a minisuite which was great right? Except the minisuite was $350 (total price for 3 people) less than what we paid for the cheapest balcony in early October, prices had dropped so much that sailing- but because we booked after final payment we were not given a refund or an on board credit-NCL's policy is they do no refunds or on board credits for cruises booked after final payment.

However, I still had a good time and I did not gripe and complain or blame the cruiseline. I realized that there is a big jump in cost between a minisuite and a suite-so they did what they could, and they could have left us in a regular balcony since that is all we were promised when we booked.

I also ended up sick with norovvirus the day after I returned home that I am pretty sure I caught on ship-so I could have had an attitude about that also, and griped and blamed NCL-I just realize there are some things that is out of the cruiseline's control.(such as some of my fellow PAX boarding ill and claiming to be well)

Sailing on Westerdam in 3 days. Had been checking every day for a couple of weeks. We booked an SZ guarantee....went to print the documents last night and saw the stateroom assignment.

Hooray!.....got upgraded one category to SY midship. Very happy about not havng to wait any longer.

We got what we paid for so we broke even with the Westerdam. Just over two days away, we finally were assigned the last of two GTY cabins. We had reserved a K and we were assigned a K and it is standard sized. The other cabin was a SZ and they gave us a SS under the Lido deck. I am not sure why they don't classify those as SZ as those suites are noisy from the deck noise above. The SY and SZ are better located and do not have the noise issues. Earlier this year, we had booked a balcony GTY with another line and got upgraded to a Penthouse. We were not as lucky with HAL. That being said, it should be a great cruise! Pierce

2 GTY Cabins and no upgrades

The other cabin was a SZ and they gave us a SS under the Lido deck.

Going from an SZ to an SS is an upgrade. At least technically.

Remember, "upgrade" is in the eyes of the beholder.

The other cabin was a SZ and they gave us a SS under the Lido deck. I am not sure why they don't classify those as SZ as those suites are noisy from the deck noise above. The SY and SZ are better located and do not have the noise issues.

We were on the Westerdam in Feb and again in May of this year and had SS cabins (8061 and 8065) and never heard a peep. I had heard that one could hear chairs being moved around, but that never happened. There was never any noise coming from above on our two cruises.

Enjoy your trip!!

Ken

We were on the Westerdam in Feb and again in May of this year and had SS cabins (8061 and 8065) and never heard a peep. I had heard that one could hear chairs being moved around, but that never happened. There was never any noise coming from above on our two cruises.

Enjoy your trip!!

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for your update. That is good to hear. Pierce

it was worth the wait--the upgrade fairy moved us from an inside guarantee to an HH--we're happy to look at the sea BEHIND those lifeboats! leaving here in two hours for the 7 hour flights to FLL. here's to happy sailing, folks!

it was worth the wait--the upgrade fairy moved us from an inside guarantee to an HH--we're happy to look at the sea BEHIND those lifeboats! leaving here in two hours for the 7 hour flights to FLL. here's to happy sailing, folks!

Happy Cruising. We might be in the same predicament getting our cabin assignment, i.e., last minute. We cruise Dec. 11 and fly out early morning of Dec. 9 and still no sign of cabin #.

Congratulations! - Have a great Trip!

Can be worth the wait!

We have the highest category of inside guarantee booked - the whole ship is on guarantees. The highest category of insides puts us at higher decks. Can they book us in an outside and put us on the bottom deck? I know that would be considered an upgrade but if we wanted to be on the bottom we would have booked there. Any experiences?

We have the highest category of inside guarantee booked - the whole ship is on guarantees. The highest category of insides puts us at higher decks. Can they book us in an outside and put us on the bottom deck?

Yes, they can. Since an outside is a higher category than an inside, and since a guarantee means you get the category you booked or higher, you can be assigned an outside on a lower deck.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at that, either. A lower deck means a smoother ride in rough seas. And a window closer to sea level gives a nice view.

Yes, they can. Since an outside is a higher category than an inside, and since a guarantee means you get the category you booked or higher, you can be assigned an outside on a lower deck.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at that, either. A lower deck means a smoother ride in rough seas. And a window closer to sea level gives a nice view.

Thanks Ruth, did not look at it that way to be able to see the ocean closer since we have always been up higher. We experienced walking on the bottom deck of a Carnival newer ship and it was so noisy and could feel vibrations that we could not imagine us trying to sleep there, so hopefully we can at least get on deck 2 if they do upgrade us, if not we are fine with the I category.

We received our room number for our Zuiderdam cruise in early 2010 almost from the day we booked. We actually got to pick which room we wanted. As usual, I keep checking to see if we get an upgrade to a " higher " deck, no matter though cause we are going cruising !

We received our room number for our Zuiderdam cruise in early 2010 almost from the day we booked. We actually got to pick which room we wanted. As usual, I keep checking to see if we get an upgrade to a " higher " deck, no matter though cause we are going cruising !

This thread is about those who book guarantees. You did not book a guarantee.

hammer29-you can not get upgraded unless you book a Guarantee.....other wise you do get to pick your cabin...enjoy your cruise

Actually that's not true. Unless you have your booking marked 'no upgrade' even if you picked your cabin, there is still the possibility, just not as likely as a guarantee booking. Happy Sailing!

Archived