Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

[quote name='SusieO']We are two couples in our early 50's sailing Nieuw Amsterdam on 12/5/10. What are some nicer hotels that are on the water taxi route (we can walk a few blocks if need be). Thanks much![/quote]

Hyatt Pier 66
Hilton Marina
The Pillars
Gallery One
Renaissance (2 blocks)
Riverside hotel (2 blocks)
Il Lugano (2 blocks)
Sheraton Ft Laud beach (1 block)
Bahia Mar (1 block, well priced but not as fancy)

[quote name='royalcruz']Hyatt Pier 66
Hilton Marina
The Pillars
Gallery One
Renaissance (2 blocks)
Riverside hotel (2 blocks)
Il Lugano (2 blocks)
Sheraton Ft Laud beach (1 block)
Bahia Mar (1 block, well priced but not as fancy)[/quote]

Thanks much RoyalCruz for the fast reply!

[quote name='royalcruz']There are lots of hotels that offer free shuttles and allow you to leave your car for free. Check with these hotels to see if they are currently offering this:
Sleep Inn Dania
LaQuinta Hollywood
Hampton Inn on 12th Ave in Fort Lauderdale or Stirling Road in Hollywood or in Plantation
Hyatt Place north or south
Holiday Inn Express Convention Center
Cambria Suites FLL
Fairfield Inn & Suites
Summerfield Inn & Suites
Homewood Suites
Rodeway Inn FLL (gets mixed reviews)[/QUOTE]

I had no idea there were choices!

[quote name='royalcruz']There are lots of hotels that offer free shuttles and allow you to leave your car for free. Check with these hotels to see if they are currently offering this:
Sleep Inn Dania
LaQuinta Hollywood
Hampton Inn on 12th Ave in Fort Lauderdale or Stirling Road in Hollywood or in Plantation
Hyatt Place north or south
Holiday Inn Express Convention Center
Cambria Suites FLL
Fairfield Inn & Suites
Summerfield Inn & Suites
Homewood Suites
Rodeway Inn FLL (gets mixed reviews)[/QUOTE]

Hyatt Place North definitely provides free parking for the week? I found Hyatt Place South on the [url]www.parksleepfly.com[/url] site, but they didn't list North.

[quote name='TrishOB']Hyatt Place North definitely provides free parking for the week? I found Hyatt Place South on the [URL="http://www.parksleepfly.com"]www.parksleepfly.com[/URL] site, but they didn't list North.[/quote]

This is why I said to check directly with the hotels (call the hotel instead of the national booking number). Some people have reported that they offer this service. There may be an upcharge as part of a park and cruise package. I am not a travel agent. Edited by royalcruz

[quote name='mommie922']Who told you SAS had a 6 person minimum? I just booked with them for November. There are 4 of us. Check out the web site. [URL="http://www.ridesas.com"][FONT=Arial]www.ridesas.com[/FONT][/URL]
It looks like they even transport a couple people but it costs more like $16 each. We are paying $13 each person from Miami port to FLL.
Happy Sailing!! :)[/quote]

There's only 2 in my party.

[quote name='royalcruz']This is why I said to check directly with the hotels (call the hotel instead of the national booking number). Some people have reported that they offer this service. There may be an upcharge as part of a park and cruise package. I am not a travel agent.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Royalcruz! Your information is always welcome. I'll call closer to our sail date. We're still more than a year out, and policies and packages could change in that time. Good to know it's a possibility, as Hyatt Place North seems to get good reviews here.

[quote name='Orlando Dale']Has anyone toured Fort Lauderdale on the water taxi? Is this a nice way to see Ft. Lauderdale and find some funs spots to hop off at?[/quote]

It's a blast. You can hop on and off to get a cocktail, eat, shop, go to the beach or just walk around. Get an all day pass, it's a bargain. Some restaurants will give you "to go" glasses. The taxi captains give a great tour, lots of history, who owns what house, etc.

[quote name='SusieO']We are two couples in our early 50's sailing Nieuw Amsterdam on 12/5/10. What are some nicer hotels that are on the water taxi route (we can walk a few blocks if need be). Thanks much![/quote]

We just stayed at the il Lugano. Loved it. 4* See my review here: [URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=412923&page=151[/URL] :)

[quote name='Orlando Dale']Has anyone toured Fort Lauderdale on the water taxi? Is this a nice way to see Ft. Lauderdale and find some funs spots to hop off at?[/quote]

Yes, we just took the "tour" yesterday. We only did round trip from il Lugano, but a lot of people were getting off to go shopping or eat. It was fun and the captain and hostess tell you about the million dollars houses that you pass by. $15/ea for an all day pass. I believe they have a water taxi website.

Yes and yes!! The homes along the waterway are gorgeous. We only hopped on and off once and that was to go to the mall. Once back on, we stayed for the entire tour. It was great.

[quote name='firstimer2']We just stayed at the il Lugano. Loved it. 4* See my review here: [URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=412923&page=151[/URL] :)[/quote]

My friend stayed at Il Lugano Friday night and I visited. It really is a lovely boutique-style hotel. She had an ocean view room on the top floor and we were able to see the white caps from the tropical storm. I loved the futons on the intracoastal to sit and watch the boats go by. The disadvantage is that it is a 3 block walk to the public beach. The Greek Islands restaurant is 2 blocks away and is very popular among locals.

Hi ... not sure if this is the right place to ask this but thought it would be a good place to start. My daughter and I are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale next March. We are going down 4 days early and so I decided to use my timeshare points and booked into a place in Weston. (Yes I know it is not ideal but the points needed to be used so went for it) My question is besides renting a car ( which I am not keen on doing) what is the best method of transportation from the aiport to the resort and fromthe resort to the pier? Or at least some recommendations? Thanks

[quote name='TrishOB']Hyatt Place North definitely provides free parking for the week? I found Hyatt Place South on the [URL="http://www.parksleepfly.com"]www.parksleepfly.com[/URL] site, but they didn't list North.[/quote]

We just stayed at the Hyatt Place North 7/6-8. I asked about parking at the hotel and was told that we could @ $12/night. For the cost, it wasn't convenient for us. We parked at the port for $15 which enabled us to get off the ship, get in the truck and head home w/o having to wait for shuttles, etc. The $3 per day savings just didn't do it for us (it was a 4 day cruise).

Cathy

Thanks, Cathy, good to know! Our cruise is 7 nights so that's a bit more savings, but if we get a good deal on the hotel rate, it might be better just to park at the port. But it would be even better to find a hotel with free parking for the week. There seem to be a number of options so I'll continue to research.

Hi ... not sure if this is the right place to ask this but thought it would be a good place to start. My daughter and I are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale next March. We are going down 4 days early and so I decided to use my timeshare points and booked into a place in Weston. (Yes I know it is not ideal but the points needed to be used so went for it) My question is besides renting a car ( which I am not keen on doing) what is the best method of transportation from the aiport to the resort and fromthe resort to the pier? Or at least some recommendations? Thanks

I answered this question on the other thread that you started. Rental car is the most cost-efficient option.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is full of great info but I could not find the answer to my question doing searches.

My best friend and I are booked for our cruise in Nov. We are flying home the same day we get off our boat. Problem is our flight is not until 3P. That leaves alot of time to fill! The water taxi has caught and held my interest but we will have luggage. What can we do with it? We will have 3 bags, 2 are carry on so having it sent ahead is not an option. Car rental is not an option after the fiasco we had in Seattle post cruise last yr. (OMGoodness, you just had to be there!!!:rolleyes:)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million! CC folks are the best!

This thread is full of great info but I could not find the answer to my question doing searches.

My best friend and I are booked for our cruise in Nov. We are flying home the same day we get off our boat. Problem is our flight is not until 3P. That leaves alot of time to fill! The water taxi has caught and held my interest but we will have luggage. What can we do with it? We will have 3 bags, 2 are carry on so having it sent ahead is not an option. Car rental is not an option after the fiasco we had in Seattle post cruise last yr. (OMGoodness, you just had to be there!!!:rolleyes:)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million! CC folks are the best!

Why not call the water taxi and ask if they would mind your luggage. We took the "tour" a few weeks ago and they seemed very nice. There would be room for a few suitcases. Round trip takes about 3 hours, so plan accordingly.

Why not see what a day rate is at one of the hotels on the beach? The taxi ride is cheap. You could check your baggage there and then swim or go on the water taxi. Hyatt Regency Pier 66 is on the route.

Regardless-- Hope you have fun!

Some of the cruiselines and airlines work together so that you can get your luggage when you get off the ship and then send it to the airport to be checked onto your flight. There is a fee but it is worth it. Call your cruiseline to see if this is offered for your airline. The nearest water taxi stop is at the Hilton Marina.

We're staying at the Hyatt Place Airport South - any restaurants or shopping nearby? What's the best way to get to the water taxis from there?

Thanks

Take a taxi to Hilton Marina to get the water taxi (about a $25 cab ride). You are about a half mile walk to TGIF, Ale House(my recommendation), Sweet Tomatoes, and Dave & Busters. Closer than that is McDonald's, Moonlight Diner, Kmart, Barnes & Noble, Ross, Marshall's, Big Lots, etc.

ok, I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. We're driving in to Ft Laud the day before our cruise on Oct 23, we are looking for a hotel where we can leave the car while we're on the cruise AND include transfers. The Renassaince in Plantation is a nice property but I've read they don't offer transfer to the port and back.

What's the most budget friendly way to get the hotel, parking and transfers?

thanks for your help.

I know some LaQuintas, some Hyatt's do this, google them, and start dialing.

I have probably missed the answer to this question in my searches but if you could help it would be appreciated. Which 4 or 3 1/2 star hotels are on the beach, not 2 or 3 blocks away, in the Fort Lauderdale area. We don't want to go too far north or south, want to be where we won't require a car. Originally had a hotel booked for us but we have opted out of that arrangement.

I have probably missed the answer to this question in my searches but if you could help it would be appreciated. Which 4 or 3 1/2 star hotels are on the beach, not 2 or 3 blocks away, in the Fort Lauderdale area. We don't want to go too far north or south, want to be where we won't require a car. Originally had a hotel booked for us but we have opted out of that arrangement.

These are all within a few miles of the port: W (4*), Westin (3-3.5*), and Ritz Carlton (4-5*) are within walking distance to stuff and are across the street from the beach. The Atlantic (4*) is a little further walk, and the Lago Mar (4*) and Mariott Harbor Beach (4*) are on the beach and very nice but quite a walk to anything. The Sheraton is on the beach, probably more of a 3 star and is a little bit of a walk to places, but not too bad. Marriott Beach Place (3.5*?) is across the street from the beach.