Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi, I have been looking through this thread and just overwhelmed. We want a pre-cruise hotel for March 3, 2011. Don't want to spend much $150 or so is fine. Don't want a dump but don't need high class accomodations. Just clean and a comfortable bed. We stayed at La Quinta a few years back. I believe the plantation one, it was nice but wanted to try something different. Would like to have a nearby restaurant, shuttles from the airport to the hotel and then another shuttle in the AM to Port Everglades. Oh, and breakfast in the am would be nice.

I have been thinking about:

Homewood Suites

Fairfield Inn and Suites

Best Western Plus

Any other suggestions or which one would you pick?

Thanks, Beth

The Sheraton ft lauderdale airport has a free

Airport shuttle and $10 per person

Transportation to cruise terminal... Rooms

Start at less than $150 I believe.. We are

B

Marriott Courtyard is very nice. Its in Dania. Very close to the Airport and the Pier. Free Shuttle to and from airport. They will take you from the Hotel to the Port for a fee, I think it's $8 a head.

They have a real nice Bistro there, where you can get Bkfst and dinner but you do have to pay for it.

I stayed there last time and really enjoyed it. JMHO...:)

Thanks everyone and especially Royalcruz. I booked the Fairfield Inn with lastminutetravel for $69. Other sites wanted $169 so you saved me a bunch. Beth

Ah...Yes...also owned and operated by Marriott.

That is exactly where we are staying in for the same price in January.

Some of the rates for that month are outrageous!!!!...:eek:

Can anyone tell me if you get a choice of rental cars from FLL airport, we will be booking with Alamo.

I know that at MCO you pick from a line up, is FLL the same or do you just get given one.

many thanks.

Yes, at Alamo at FLL you get to choose your car. The keys are in them and they tell you to pick any car in the Full Size (or whatever) section. When we rented in September we had a mid-sized reserved and they told me to pick from the full size section. For some reason there were mini-vans sitting in that section and I asked if I could take one of those and they said yes. Was awesome to get a minivan for the price of a mid-sized. I'm sure that's not typical though. I didn't do it because I had a Priceline reservation, but I know that if you check in online you can skip the rental counter and go straight to the cars.

Thanks so very much for all of your help.I'm happy you told me about the area as it will be my mom and my self and I need a safe area.By any chance do you have any other motel/hotel to recomend please that will be close to every thing? The Riverside is more than what I want to spend but great location for me.

Thanks so very much for all of your help.I'm happy you told me about the area as it will be my mom and my self and I need a safe area.By any chance do you have any other motel/hotel to recomend please that will be close to every thing? The Riverside is more than what I want to spend but great location for me.

Riverside and Hampton are the only 2 hotels downtown. Alhambra Beach Resort and Bahia Mar are by the beach town and a very short cab ride to downtown and really close to water taxi stops. They usually have very good rates. If you just want to be close to basic stores and restaurants (no charm) you can book by the port by 17th St (Hyatt Place north, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Express Convention Center, or Extended Stay).

Looking for a nice, but reasonably priced hotel near the beach for post-cruise in mid-December.

We are considering the Courtyard Marriott Ft Lauderdale Beach Hotel - our flight the second day after the cruise leaves in mid afternoon, so we will have the disembarkation day and half the second day.

Is this hotel close enough to walk to restaurants? Nice beach area?

How far from the airport - shuttle or taxi cost?

Suggestions for things to do on the day we arrive (we'll be there way too early to check in, but hope to be able to drop off our bags).

Looking for a nice, but reasonably priced hotel near the beach for post-cruise in mid-December.

We are considering the Courtyard Marriott Ft Lauderdale Beach Hotel - our flight the second day after the cruise leaves in mid afternoon, so we will have the disembarkation day and half the second day.

Is this hotel close enough to walk to restaurants? Nice beach area?

How far from the airport - shuttle or taxi cost?

Suggestions for things to do on the day we arrive (we'll be there way too early to check in, but hope to be able to drop off our bags).

It's perfect. Just drop off your bags and walk north on the beach road and discover all that is in the area. There is a water taxi stop a few blocks away either direction. You can walk to Beach Place or take a short taxi or water taxi ride downtown. If it is bad weather, hop on the 40 bus going north and spend the day at Galleria Mall. It's really close to the port and also close to the airport...about $20 to the airport by cab.

I tried to see if this question was already asked but was unsuccessful. Is there a shuttle that runs between the 2 parking garages? If there is, do you have to show a parking ticket to be able to use it and how much does it cost? I'm concerned if my ship leaves from one place and returns to a different place, how do I get to my car. Thanks.

I was told that Holland America does allow to bring soda onto the ship. Is there a place where we could buy some soda near the Fairfield Inn? Thanks, Beth

Hi Beth. I just stayed there last weekend and there is a gas station across the street. The hotel also runs a shuttle to the Oakwood Plaza where there is ALOT of stores. They only drop off at the restaurant area so it could be quite a walk if you have alot of soda to carry. There is a Kmart, BJ's, Big Lots and I'm sure more than I can remember. It's an outdoor mall and very spread out. You may be able to ask the shuttle driver if he can make an exception and pick you up in a different location.

I was told that Holland America does allow to bring soda onto the ship. Is there a place where we could buy some soda near the Fairfield Inn? Thanks, Beth

I don't think there is any place to shop near there other than the gas station.

Edited by royalcruz

I tried to see if this question was already asked but was unsuccessful. Is there a shuttle that runs between the 2 parking garages? If there is, do you have to show a parking ticket to be able to use it and how much does it cost? I'm concerned if my ship leaves from one place and returns to a different place, how do I get to my car. Thanks.

Yes, there is a shuttle...this website has some information about it, and if you have further questions you can call the port at (954) 523-3404.

http://www.portevergladescruiseguide.com/cruise-terminal.html

Thanks, I was just reading some reviews on the hotel and read about this gas station. We get in rather late (6pm) so wouldn't have time for any shopping other then nearby. We just want to pick up a couple of shoots of soda but if we can't no big deal. Is there a place for a late night dinner after the flight nearby? Beth

Thanks, I was just reading some reviews on the hotel and read about this gas station. We get in rather late (6pm) so wouldn't have time for any shopping other then nearby. We just want to pick up a couple of shoots of soda but if we can't no big deal. Is there a place for a late night dinner after the flight nearby? Beth

Rustic Inn is opened until 10:45 most nights. It is about 4 blocks away. Or call Domino's for pizza.

As RoyalCruz said, the Rustic Inn is open and the shuttle service that the hotel provides will take you there if you don't want to walk it after dark (area looked pretty safe though). The shuttle runs from 4-10 or 4-11 on the weekend. The hotel also gives you several takeout menus to choose from. Edited by Jyllie63

As RoyalCruz said, the Rustic Inn is open and the shuttle service that the hotel provides will take you there if you don't want to walk it after dark (area looked pretty safe though). The shuttle runs from 4-10 or 4-11 on the weekend. The hotel also gives you several takeout menus to choose from.

Take out menu even better. Thanks so much for your help! Beth

Hello,

I originally booked pre-cruise 1/26 @ the Hilton Marina Ft Lauderdale $223. per night & 1/27 @ the Embassy Suites MVP rate of $195 (One of my favorites). However, I have been checking on Hotwire & also read somewhere on CC that people were scoring the Westin Beach Resort & Spa for $39.00 per night including taxes & fees. So I decided to check it out. I received an email from Hotwire saying they were offering email exclusive deals today only. So I click on the deal entered my info & took my best guest with better bidding dot com & sure enought it was the Westin Beach Resort & Spa. So I will cancel my other two rooms @ the Hilton & Embassy. I went from paying $418 to $112! We have 6 of us too! That is only $20.00 per person for 2 nights! Woo Hoo...

Now.. is there anything bad I need to know about the Westin Beach Resort & Spa... I've checked out the reviews on trip advisor dot com. They seem pretty good. Now I will need to do some research on good places to eat & drink! Any suggestions?

Happy Sailing!

Sue

Now.. is there anything bad I need to know about the Westin Beach Resort & Spa... I've checked out the reviews on trip advisor dot com. They seem pretty good. Now I will need to do some research on good places to eat & drink! Any suggestions?

Happy Sailing!

Sue

Casablanca Cafe is great, just 2 blocks south of the hotel. No reservations accepted, so be prepared to put your name down and wait about an hour on weekends. Meanwhile, hang out in the piano bar. After dinner, visit the W hotel about a block north of the Westin...there are 2 fabulous bars: Whiskey Blue and the Lobby Bar.

The Westin is an old Sheraton that was closed down and completely renovated about 2 yrs ago. Most of the reviews are pretty good.

Edited by royalcruz

Also consider the Airport Hilton. I just booked it for early December for $119.20 plus tax. They have an airport shuttle and if they're not to busy they'll take you to the port. Otherwise a taxi to the port will run about $15. I really like this hotel and the Sheraton because they have bellmen to help if you have a lot of luggage (my SO doesn't like to leave anything at home:]) and checkrooms if you'd prefer not to deal with all your luggage in your room. Both hotels have meal service if you arrive late and have a nice breakfast (not free).

Also consider the Airport Hilton. I just booked it for early December for $119.20 plus tax. They have an airport shuttle and if they're not to busy they'll take you to the port. Otherwise a taxi to the port will run about $15. I really like this hotel and the Sheraton because they have bellmen to help if you have a lot of luggage (my SO doesn't like to leave anything at home:]) and checkrooms if you'd prefer not to deal with all your luggage in your room. Both hotels have meal service if you arrive late and have a nice breakfast (not free).

Those hotels are nice for one night, or longer if you have a car, as there isn't really anything closeby to walk to.