Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Beach Place is about 3-4 blocks south on A1A. They have a CVS drug store that sells some wine. There are clothing stores but it's just beachwear and cheap clubwear. You can take either the SunTrolley or the 40 bus north to the Galleria Mall. It's about 2 miles away. They have Macy's, Dillard's, Neiman Marcus, and many other stores. Across the street from there is a brand new Publix grocery store where you will find a very nice selection of wine. There is another mall about 4 miles away called Coral Ridge Mall that has Target, TJMaxx, Marshall's, and other stores. The best way to get there is by taxi, or take the 11 bus north to 72 west. I found the Alhambra while walking around and it looks very nice for small lodging. Their prices are great and they are getting good reviews on TripAdvisor. The location can't be beat.

Thank you! The Sun Trolley sounds like a good option, as I only need half a day to shop, and then can relax. I haven't read a bad review on the Alhambra yet.

Thank you! The Sun Trolley sounds like a good option, as I only need half a day to shop, and then can relax. I haven't read a bad review on the Alhambra yet.
I haven't been inside the locked gate of Alhambra but from what I can see from outside the gate it looks like a really nicely maintained property. From the outside it is one of the nicest small lodges that I have seen in that price range. And the neighborhood is awesome!

Wow,so much information on the site. Trying to choose a hotel in FL post cruise on New Years Eve. Hoping to find a safe area where we will be able to walk to the beach, restaurants and fun teen activities as we will not be renting a car. We are a family of 4 with a 12 and 14 year old. Hoping to drop off our bags and explore. Wondering how New Year's Eve will be in town ie safety etc. Kind of limited about what we can do because we will have kids in tow.

I'm attempting to schedule transportation in March 2012 with QLS and after 4 e-mails and a phone call, I still do not have a confirmation with the same details as what I requested via their web page. Is this normal? Are they transitioning to a new system? I have to admit that their inability to get the reservation right makes me VERY concerned about trusting them to get me where I need to be.....:(
Not a past user of QLS but have them booked for 2 trips this coming Jan. Call and ask for Carina. She was very helpful, we changed our destination several weeks after booking and emailed her with the new details. She emailed back within the hour confirming our changes. Hope you get things sorted to your satisfaction.

Wow,so much information on the site. Trying to choose a hotel in FL post cruise on New Years Eve. Hoping to find a safe area where we will be able to walk to the beach, restaurants and fun teen activities as we will not be renting a car. We are a family of 4 with a 12 and 14 year old. Hoping to drop off our bags and explore. Wondering how New Year's Eve will be in town ie safety etc. Kind of limited about what we can do because we will have kids in tow.

I haven't been to the beach for new year's eve so I'm not sure what it is like. I would look at Marriott Beach Place Towers and Marriott Courtyard, as they both seem family friendly and are the closest to the center of everything at the beach. Bahia Mar would also be good, just another 3 blocks further than Courtyard.

How close is K-Mart? We're planning to go eat at Council Oak for dinner at Hard Rock, is there anyplace on the way we could get the taxi to stop at?

Kmart is across the street. You could stop at Publix at 3102 Griffin Rd, Fort Lauderdale without going too much out of your way.

Casablanca Cafe is great, just 2 blocks south of the hotel. No reservations accepted, so be prepared to put your name down and wait about an hour on weekends. Meanwhile, hang out in the piano bar. After dinner, visit the W hotel about a block north of the Westin...there are 2 fabulous bars: Whiskey Blue and the Lobby Bar.

The Westin is an old Sheraton that was closed down and completely renovated about 2 yrs ago. Most of the reviews are pretty good.

Thanks for the info royalcruz.

We are at the Westin now. It's a very nice hotel. They do have mandatory valet parking at $25 a day. They offer complimentary beach chairs and towels to their guests. The pool looked very nice too. We took your advise and ate at Casablancas tonight. The fetticini with chicken was delicious. Very nice place right on the water view. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks for the info royalcruz.

We are at the Westin now. It's a very nice hotel. They do have mandatory valet parking at $25 a day. They offer complimentary beach chairs and towels to their guests. The pool looked very nice too. We took your advise and ate at Casablancas tonight. The fetticini with chicken was delicious. Very nice place right on the water view. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm so glad you are enjoying Fort Lauderdale.

Hello Everyone!

Will be staying here for 2 days pre cruise and one day afterwards early December-any suggestions on restaurants or activities for the two of us?

I did make reservations at Trulucks for Friday evening-any comments on it-I understand its very nice and upscale? Can I walk there or take a taxi and the costs?

Also looked at the water taxi-worth it for the stops and 3 hours?

Any suggestions for Brkfst/lunch would be appreciated!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Hello Everyone!

Will be staying here for 2 days pre cruise and one day afterwards early December-any suggestions on restaurants or activities for the two of us?

I did make reservations at Trulucks for Friday evening-any comments on it-I understand its very nice and upscale? Can I walk there or take a taxi and the costs?

Also looked at the water taxi-worth it for the stops and 3 hours?

Any suggestions for Brkfst/lunch would be appreciated!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Truluck's is about 1.5 miles from the Westin so I wouldn't walk there. A taxi would be about $10. We ate there last night. It is an upscale restaurant with great live music in the lounge that you can hear in the restaurant (not loud). They also serve food in the lounge. People dress mostly casually there, so no need to dress up too much, but it is acceptable to do so if you wish. 3 hours on the water taxi would be nice even if you don't get off...you can even take it to Truluck (Gallery One stop). For lunch Casablanca Cafe near the Westin is nice, or Shooters or Coconuts on the water taxi route (you can walk to Coconuts too). I don't know about breakfast by the beach but there is a Starbucks at the Westin and Shula's at the Westin might serve breakfast.

Royalcruz, any suggestions on things to do post cruise for a few hours before our flight? My husband and I have a later flight (6 p.m.) on Saturday, Dec. 3, and we'd like to do something not far from the port/airport to kill the time. Don't want to spend a lot in cab fare and we will have our luggage to deal with. Are they any good hotels that have a day rate that could let us use their pool/facilities? Also looked into the wate taxi as a possibility, but not sure what we'd do with our luggage. Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone:

Anyone know if public transportation can be taken to access the Sun Trolley from the airport or from the Ft Lauderdale Tri-Rail Airport station? We are staying at the Fairfield Inn at 2081 Griffin Rd after disembarking and want to spend the day on Las Olas or the Beach without renting a car or spending too much on cabs. I think I can take the Tri-Rail north one station ($3.75 one way) to Ft Lauderdale station but is there a transfer point I can take to access the Sun Trolley? Thanks.

Royalcruz, any suggestions on things to do post cruise for a few hours before our flight? My husband and I have a later flight (6 p.m.) on Saturday, Dec. 3, and we'd like to do something not far from the port/airport to kill the time. Don't want to spend a lot in cab fare and we will have our luggage to deal with. Are they any good hotels that have a day rate that could let us use their pool/facilities? Also looked into the wate taxi as a possibility, but not sure what we'd do with our luggage. Thanks for your help!

Sorry, I don't know of any hotels with day rates. You could rent a car, put your luggage in the trunk, and go to the beach or to Las Olas. Or pay to have your luggage sent from the ship to the airport and then go to the beach or Las Olas.

Hi everyone:

Anyone know if public transportation can be taken to access the Sun Trolley from the airport or from the Ft Lauderdale Tri-Rail Airport station? We are staying at the Fairfield Inn at 2081 Griffin Rd after disembarking and want to spend the day on Las Olas or the Beach without renting a car or spending too much on cabs. I think I can take the Tri-Rail north one station ($3.75 one way) to Ft Lauderdale station but is there a transfer point I can take to access the Sun Trolley? Thanks.

You can take the #1 bus north from the airport (I think it's the ONLY public bus at the airport) directly to Las Olas Blvd, then walk east about 3 blocks to get to the main area where you will want to be. You can get the trolley from there to the beach. To get to the Fairfield Inn from Las Olas, take the #1 bus south on SE 3rd Ave to Griffin Rd, then take #4 west to the hotel. (trirail is near the hotel but not near anything else. There might be a free shuttle to the airport from trirail).

I know that when I flew in to MIA there was the possibility of a day room through RCCL (flights were with them) on departure day. Now I'm just guessing that they do the same thing out of FLL in which case that is a line of questioning for you...which hotels do they use in FLL?

I did a girls only cruise in April and had a late flight. I found "bagtogo" on this site and used them. You just find their truck as you exit the cruise ship and they will check your luggage for $6 per bag. They take it to the airport and hold it for you. Takes an extra ten minutes at the airport. Just stop by their room near the baggage claim area. Get your bags and off to check in you go.

We then did the water taxi for the afternoon, getting off and on to do lunch and a few other stops.

I did a girls only cruise in April and had a late flight. I found "bagtogo" on this site and used them. You just find their truck as you exit the cruise ship and they will check your luggage for $6 per bag. They take it to the airport and hold it for you. Takes an extra ten minutes at the airport. Just stop by their room near the baggage claim area. Get your bags and off to check in you go.

We then did the water taxi for the afternoon, getting off and on to do lunch and a few other stops.

Thanks for the great info! I will check out that service.