Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Any suggestions for transportation to the Port from Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport North? Or are there taxi's waiting outside? There will be eight of us who need a ride to the Port and last time we were there it was complimentary, but we ended up waiting quite a while for the driver to pack us up and take us there, even though we were on the list. I figured it would be easier (and maybe cheaper since there's now a charge) to just grab a cab over, plus we can go on our own schedule, not theirs.

Yes, taxi will be inexpensive. If there aren't any taxis waiting just call yellow cab at 954-777-7777.

Hi

Hope some one can tell me if Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty Six, is a good place for 1 pre cruise night. thank you for any advice

Pier 66 is a very nice resort. Most of the complaints are re lanai rooms (see tripadvisor). There are a couple of good restaurants at the resort that locals go to (Pelican's Landing and Grill 66). There is a convenience store across the street and a Walgreens a few blocks away across the bridge. You can see the port from some of the tower rooms. The Water Taxi stops there.

Hi, Has anyone recently stayed here? What are your thoughts for pre cruise? We are arriving early afternoon so will have plenty of time to explore. Would love to hop on the water taxi and later have time to pick up necessities to take onboard.

If you booked what search engine did you use? I can't find any promo codes but this hotel looks like the best bet for some privacy with 3 adults per room.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hi, Has anyone recently stayed here? What are your thoughts for pre cruise? We are arriving early afternoon so will have plenty of time to explore. Would love to hop on the water taxi and later have time to pick up necessities to take onboard.

If you booked what search engine did you use? I can't find any promo codes but this hotel looks like the best bet for some privacy with 3 adults per room.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

The only discount that I know of are on hiltonfamilymvp.com. You have to sign in with your free hhonors acct info to see if there are any discounted rates for your dates.

The only discount that I know of are on hiltonfamilymvp.com. You have to sign in with your free hhonors acct info to see if there are any discounted rates for your dates.

Hi, Thanks so much! I was able to hold it with a credit card and I received $40 off!! All the other sites I have looked at want to automatically charge credit card so if you changed your mind you are out of luck!

Hi, Thanks so much! I was able to hold it with a credit card and I received $40 off!! All the other sites I have looked at want to automatically charge credit card so if you changed your mind you are out of luck!

That's great! I haven't prepaid for hotels for years, as this site always gets me good rates without the risk... Now keep checking and rebook if the price drops!:)

No....the one that is off of 17th street has this address:

Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center

1851 SE 10th Ave (Harbor Shops Drive West)

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316, USA

the one you booked at is over by the airport in Dania....you'd probably like the Convention Center better...

OOPS seems Royal and I were posting at the same time!!

Thanks (both to you and Royal!). The thing is that the Convention Center hotel is more expensive. Is there any reason not to stay at the one I've booked? We'll be coming in late (probably after 8 PM) and just need the hotel for the one night pre-cruise.

Thanks again.

Thanks (both to you and Royal!). The thing is that the Convention Center hotel is more expensive. Is there any reason not to stay at the one I've booked? We'll be coming in late (probably after 8 PM) and just need the hotel for the one night pre-cruise.

Thanks again.

The Hyatt Place south that you booked is much newer than the other one. There are a few restaurants across the street. Only disadvantage is that cabfare to the port will be a little higher, around $20 with tip.

........ Do you know if the Fairfield Inn is a nice hotel? We will be arriving late afternoon and will probably just relax for a while, swim in the pool and then go to dinner. The hotel said they have free shuttle service to local places - including restaurants.

Hi,

royalcruz is a great source of information and I also take advantage of the comments that royalcruz provides - what a great poster.

You are asking about the Fairfield Inn - we stayed there last year in Dec.

If you are interested please read my review from my stay there. It is an old review but probably not much changed there

in the few months.

Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1533793

My first choice naturally would be a beach hotel, however for a moderately priced hotel I would prefer the 17th. st area Hyatt Place North. Close to restaurants, shops,grocery store and total wine store. About a $12 dollar ride to the port. Also offers a free shuttle from the airport. Depending on the dates of travel, there is the Sun Trolley that is just a short walk to board that will take you to the beach area or the Galleria Mall. There is a city bus#40 that will do the same. There are other moderately priced hotels in the area including Holiday Inn Express and Extended Stay America. The Renaissance and Embassy Suites are also in this area which is very popular with cruisers. Depending on your dates of travel www.valutrips has some very good rates for this Hyatt.

Thanks. Now my interest is peaked for a beach hotel. I know DD would be just as happy to spend the day at the beach instead of sightseeing. Do any of them have free shuttle service from the airport? How far are they from the port? What are your recommendations? Are they really expensive? We'll be going in August.

Edited by 19Ladybird67

For 2 nights it is good to stay at the beach. Bahia Mar has good prices and a family friendly pool. If you prefer to be in the suburbs, Hampton Inn south FLL, Hyatt Place south FLL, and LaQuinta Hollywood are near Oakwood Plaza and there are family friendly restaurants, cinema, and arcade. Your daughter might also enjoy Boomers, a very short cab ride away. The best way to get to the port is by taxi if you don't want to use the shuttles that these hotels offer. The beach hotels do not have shuttles.

The Bahia Mar has quite a few recent negative reviews on trip advisor. I think I'd be a little worried taking my family there. What is the address for the Hampton Inn? Is the Hyatt that you are referring to the one that is listed as "airport & cruise port"?

Thanks. Now my interest is peaked for a beach hotel. I know DD would be just as happy to spend the day at the beach instead of sightseeing. Do any of them have free shuttle service from the airport? How far are they from the port? What are your recommendations? Are they really expensive? We'll be going in August.

Beach area hotels don't have free shuttles but there are many within about 3 miles of the port. Some that have reasonable prices are Bahia Mar, Westin, Alhambra, Sheraton, Best Western Oceanside, and Courtyard.

Edited by royalcruz

The Bahia Mar has quite a few recent negative reviews on trip advisor. I think I'd be a little worried taking my family there. What is the address for the Hampton Inn? Is the Hyatt that you are referring to the one that is listed as "airport & cruise port"?

Hampton Inn: Stirling Rd, Hollywood, FL

Hyatt Place south: now called "airport & cruise port"

(Hyatt Place north is now call "17th St. Convention Center"

We will be spending 1 night pre-cruise in January at the BW Oceanside and are trying to decide if renting a car makes sense. Is it possible to take a bus to restaurants and/or wine store from this hotel? Are there any car rental companies that offer free shuttles to the pier? Thanks for your help.

Linda

We will be spending 1 night pre-cruise in January at the BW Oceanside and are trying to decide if renting a car makes sense. Is it possible to take a bus to restaurants and/or wine store from this hotel? Are there any car rental companies that offer free shuttles to the pier? Thanks for your help.

Linda

You can walk to a few restaurants from the BW. You can also take the 40 bus or the SunTrolley to restaurants and Total Wine & Spirits. You really don't need a car at that location. They only charge $10 a day for parking if you do decide to rent a car. If you rent from Budget and return the car to the SE 17th St location they have a free shuttle to the port.

Wow, that was a quick cruise! Did you have a good time? Can't wait to get down to FLL a week from tomorow. Bob:)

This was not my best cruise but it was nice to get away. Majesty is fine for first time cruisers but we have come to expect better food and automatic loyalty benefits without begging for them (no bathrobes, spotty service at nightly event, priority disembarkation not honored). Although we sailed out of Miami, as Americans it seemed we were in the 10% minority, and so there weren't many passengers that we could speak with in English. The new Coke machine was cool.:D

Hi royalcruz! Looking for a rental car to pick up in Fort Lauderdale. After doing some research I've found the cars are cheaper to rent in Boca Raton. Do you know of any transportation from Ocean Sky Resort to Boca Raton? I think a taxi would be too expensive. Any help/suggestions would be great! Thanks so much.

Hi royalcruz! Looking for a rental car to pick up in Fort Lauderdale. After doing some research I've found the cars are cheaper to rent in Boca Raton. Do you know of any transportation from Ocean Sky Resort to Boca Raton? I think a taxi would be too expensive. Any help/suggestions would be great! Thanks so much.

I can't think of anything other than a taxi, and you are right, it would be a very expensive ride. Look at rental car locations in Fort Lauderdale that are not airport based instead. Ocean Sky Resort is in central/north Fort Lauderdale. See my posting on the Ocean Sky thread for suggestions.

Edited by royalcruz

Thanks royalcruz. I saw your post. I've been looking off airport but still very high in Ft. Lauderdale. I'll have to give this some more thought. Looked at Pompano Beach area but that is high too. Boca was about 1/2 price. Might be worth the taxi :confused:

Thanks royalcruz. I saw your post. I've been looking off airport but still very high in Ft. Lauderdale. I'll have to give this some more thought. Looked at Pompano Beach area but that is high too. Boca was about 1/2 price. Might be worth the taxi :confused:

I think a taxi will cost about $40-45 one way to the center of Boca. Maybe it is worth it. It will cost about $15 for a taxi to one of the Fort Lauderdale locations nearest you.