Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi .. we are cruising on the Liberty out of Miami and will be spending 2 days post cruise in FLL before our flight home on Monday. The airport hotels are pretty pricey for 2/22 and 2/23. We need TWO rooms so we are trying to find something a little more economical than spending $280+ a night x 2 rooms.

Is there a particular area of FLL that you recommend? We were looking in the Weston-Plantation-Davie area where the prices are much better compared to the airport zone. Is there much to do around there?

Really would like to know if there are any areas to avoid due to safety.

Thanks for your help.

Weston/Plantation/Davie is safe. You'll really need a car due to high cab fare at that distance. There is shopping and dining in the area.

Hey RoyalCruz....First let me say...THANK YOU for everything you do in this forum in helping everyone out..not said enough on this forum!! Is the Oakwood Plaza area safe in the evening...we're staying at the LaQuinta and wondering what restaurants are worthwhile going to?? Moonlite Diner seems interesting?

Hey RoyalCruz....First let me say...THANK YOU for everything you do in this forum in helping everyone out..not said enough on this forum!! Is the Oakwood Plaza area safe in the evening...we're staying at the LaQuinta and wondering what restaurants are worthwhile going to?? Moonlite Diner seems interesting?

Hollywood Ale House is the best restaurant in Oakwood IMO. It's not a bad neighborhood but its best to wander in pairs or groups.

Edited by royalcruz

Hollywood Ale House is the best restaurant in Oakwood IMO. It's not a bad neighborhood but its best to wander in pairs or groups.

Again Thanks for your help.....also thinking of going to Hollywood North Beach Park ....we have one extra day before our cruise...any nice attractions in and around the area? whats a good cab company and estimated fare from the laquinta to the beach??

Again Thanks for your help.....also thinking of going to Hollywood North Beach Park ....we have one extra day before our cruise...any nice attractions in and around the area? whats a good cab company and estimated fare from the laquinta to the beach??

I don't go to Hollywood Beach so I'm not familiar with what's there. It's only 3 miles to North Beach Park so taxi would be under $15 including tip. You are staying right off Sheridan St and the park is where Sheridan St meets the beach. Yellow Cab is 954-777-7777.

Hi .. we are cruising on the Liberty out of Miami and will be spending 2 days post cruise in FLL before our flight home on Monday. The airport hotels are pretty pricey for 2/22 and 2/23. We need TWO rooms so we are trying to find something a little more economical than spending $280+ a night x 2 rooms.

Is there a particular area of FLL that you recommend? We were looking in the Weston-Plantation-Davie area where the prices are much better compared to the airport zone. Is there much to do around there?

Really would like to know if there are any areas to avoid due to safety.

Thanks for your help.

Check out the rates on hiltonfamilymvp. You will need to sign up for a Hilton honors account, but that is free.

I put in 2 adults 2 children. Prices below are for 22/23

Hampton Inn North $231/199

Hampton Inn Downtown $191/143

Bahia Mar $199/199

Hilton Garden Airport $191/191

Hampton Inn Plantation $135/135

Many of the Plantation area hotels offer shuttles from/to airport/cruiseport However the distance and taxi cost to the beach and tourist areas of Fort Lauderdale are $30-40 each way

Check out the rates on hiltonfamilymvp. You will need to sign up for a Hilton honors account, but that is free.

I put in 2 adults 2 children. Prices below are for 22/23

Hampton Inn North $231/199

Hampton Inn Downtown $191/143

Bahia Mar $199/199

Hilton Garden Airport $191/191

Hampton Inn Plantation $135/135

Many of the Plantation area hotels offer shuttles from/to airport/cruiseport However the distance and taxi cost to the beach and tourist areas of Fort Lauderdale are $30-40 each way

:) Great list! From that list I would go for Bahia Mar...it's at the beach!:)

We will be arriving a couple of days before our cruise. Our hotel offers a shuttle to the beach or we look to be on the trolly line as well as the water taxi. We would like to spend a day at the beach. Are there any vendors on the beach that rent umbrellas and beach chairs? Which beach area is nicer, Los Olas or Ft. Lauderdale?

We have three rooms booked at La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport for February 28th. They do have a shuttle to Port Everglades available for $8/pp, but I was wondering if I could get an estimate for a taxi service. We would need two taxis but I thought this would give us more control over our departure time.

Also, what are your feelings about the La Quinta Inn...as opposed to the Comfort Inn, now Quality Inn & Suites on Stirling Rd?

Thank you, in advance, for any assistance!

We will be arriving a couple of days before our cruise. Our hotel offers a shuttle to the beach or we look to be on the trolly line as well as the water taxi. We would like to spend a day at the beach. Are there any vendors on the beach that rent umbrellas and beach chairs? Which beach area is nicer, Los Olas or Ft. Lauderdale?

To clarify, Las Olas is a street in Fort Lauderdale that ends at Fort Lauderdale beach. There are no public restrooms right there. There are restrooms in the beach park north of Sheraton, and in Beach Place. Yes, there is a vendor that has umbrellas and chairs up and down the beach. If you go for a little walk you should be able to find them. I can't recall exactly where they are and aren't.

We have three rooms booked at La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport for February 28th. They do have a shuttle to Port Everglades available for $8/pp, but I was wondering if I could get an estimate for a taxi service. We would need two taxis but I thought this would give us more control over our departure time.

Also, what are your feelings about the La Quinta Inn...as opposed to the Comfort Inn, now Quality Inn & Suites on Stirling Rd?

Thank you, in advance, for any assistance!

You should allow up to $25 per taxi from LaQuinta to Port Everglades.

Edited by royalcruz

Hello,

After our cruise we will stay 2 days at Quality Inn Airport & Cruiseport North

Is it a good place to stay ?

Also, where would the best place to go shopping be ? Anything MUST see attractions we do not want to miss ?

Thank you

Quality Inn Airport & Cruiseport North is on Broward Blvd near the Fort Lauderdale Police station and I-95. It's near one of the worst crime neighborhoods in Fort Lauderdale.

The best shopping in Fort Lauderdale city limits is Galleria Mall and Coral Ridge Mall.

Quality Inn Airport & Cruiseport North is on Broward Blvd near the Fort Lauderdale Police station and I-95. It's near one of the worst crime neighborhoods in Fort Lauderdale.

The best shopping in Fort Lauderdale city limits is Galleria Mall and Coral Ridge Mall.

As for the hotel, will it be problematic ?

Kinda nervous now

As for the hotel, will it be problematic ?

Kinda nervous now

You couldn't pay me any amount of money to stay there. You can call Fort Lauderdale police and ask about crime on that block...Maybe it's ok, but there is a very high (8 ft?) fence around the property because there needs to be one! The reviews on tripadvisor will give you many more reasons not to stay there.... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d84443-Reviews-Quality_Inn_Airport_Cruiseport_North-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html I would love for you to come and experience the nice city of Fort Lauderdale and not have to see that side of it.

If you click on this crime mapping link and look a little east of I95 on 842, that is where your hotel is. http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Fort_Lauderdale-Florida/crime/

Edited by royalcruz

Hi Royalcruz, such a helpful thread,,,thanks so much for the useful info. My question,,, is there some type of shuttle running from Fr. Lauderdale (staying at Beach Gardens) to the Bank Atlantic Centre for a hockey game (April 04/2014). I'm a Canadian going on a cruise but a hockey game would be such a bonus if affordable. If no shuttle,,, is a taxi out of the question? thanks for your help.

We will be flying red eye to FFL and will arrive to FFL at 6:00 AM how early should we take a taxi to port were we could even just sit and wait. Also we would like to pick up some wine on the way. Were would I tell the taxi driver to stop? Not sure if it is Total wine. Thanks

Hi, I have a question regarding a post-cruise excursion to the Everglades air boat ride. I signed up today through Royal Caribbean because we have a late flight from FLL the day we get off the ship-the system let me sign up my 3 year-old, but now I am wondering if 3 is too young to go on the airboat? I plan on holding him in my lap the duration of the ride, but do they give you lifejackets, etc? Is this kid-friendly? The description on the RC website did not mention any of this, so just wondering if anyone has taken a small child on it and felt safe? I think my son would love the ride and the alligator show!

There are no Marriotts in Fort Lauderdale. There are some airport/cruiseport hotels carrying the Marriott brand, like Courtyard, Springhill, and Fairfield. Which is your hotel?

No stores will be able to sell you alcohol products including wine on Sunday until noon.

I would leave at about 11AM to go to Port Miami. You will arrive before noon and boarding should have started by then unless there are unscheduled delays.

We are staying at Courtyard FLL Airport. Thanks for the information.

Hi Royalcruz, such a helpful thread,,,thanks so much for the useful info. My question,,, is there some type of shuttle running from Fr. Lauderdale (staying at Beach Gardens) to the Bank Atlantic Centre for a hockey game (April 04/2014). I'm a Canadian going on a cruise but a hockey game would be such a bonus if affordable. If no shuttle,,, is a taxi out of the question? thanks for your help.

I don't know of any shuttles. A taxi could cost about $50 each way. It's about 15 miles and a 30-45 minute ride, depending on traffic. Is renting a car out of the question? Maybe you could take the public bus one way....if you walk to Sunrise Blvd you can actually take the 36 bus the whole way but it will take longer.

We will be flying red eye to FFL and will arrive to FFL at 6:00 AM how early should we take a taxi to port were we could even just sit and wait. Also we would like to pick up some wine on the way. Were would I tell the taxi driver to stop? Not sure if it is Total wine. Thanks

Total Wine would be a good place to stop. If it's a sunday, you can't purchase wine until noon. If you don't want to be standing outside at the port arrive around 10:30.

We are staying at Courtyard FLL Airport. Thanks for the information.

If you googlemap your hotel and then search nearby for grocery, you will find a couple of convenience stores on Griffin Rd and on Gulfstream way no more than a mile away. Maybe they sell wine. There aren't many big stores of any kind in that area.

Hi, I have a question regarding a post-cruise excursion to the Everglades air boat ride. I signed up today through Royal Caribbean because we have a late flight from FLL the day we get off the ship-the system let me sign up my 3 year-old, but now I am wondering if 3 is too young to go on the airboat? I plan on holding him in my lap the duration of the ride, but do they give you lifejackets, etc? Is this kid-friendly? The description on the RC website did not mention any of this, so just wondering if anyone has taken a small child on it and felt safe? I think my son would love the ride and the alligator show!

You should have no problem taking your 3 year old on the air boat ride. When we lived in Ft Lauderdale, we took visitors of all ages out to the Everglades for the ride, from toddlers to my 97 year old grandmother. It was a highlight of their visit to South Florida----