Viking GET - Attention billinyucatin and others

Little Toot2

Can't believe that I posted this to the Roll Call threads yesterday...

The countdown begins.... one month til we leave for Amsterdam to begin our 'Grand European Tour' on Viking's Legend. So inquiring minds want to know... Since returning, what do you wish you had known that you didn't before you set sail??? Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer... LT

We booked our own air and plan on taking the train from the Amsterdam airport into Central Station.... The only times we've purchased air through a tour company was for our first time to China, Russia, and now for our trip to Egypt this coming winter. We were a bit hesitant to book independent air with the Jordan extension as that would have involved a one way ticket purchase back to Cairo.....which we feared might red flag us with security as independent travelers???

The corkscrew's on the packing list...anything else?

LT

Thought I lost everyone. So many things going through my mind now that the clock is ticking. After I write this I start to make my "Things to do before we leave" and the packing lists. The airlines have convinced me to pack as light as I can-No sport coat etc. I have been looking for a review from Bill, but not yet.

Chat soon

Larry

Hi Larry...

Don't know if my husband plans to take a sport coat or not, but if he does he'll wear it on the plane for his jacket. We used to pack light, but haven't flown across the pond since ' 05 so we've developed some bad habits on recent roadtrips. Not sure that I can get myself down to 3 pairs of shoes....that's the worst part for a woman! We plan on doing some layering as the weather should start shifting while we're enroute. Think that we messed up on our timing, however, as we're going to be a bit early for fall foliage...

No physical lists yet, just mental ones. Have been looking for a trip book and am having trouble coming up with just one. I usually choose a good read that gives general background of the area we visit.....for example, I read COD by Mark Kurlansky before we went to Newfoundland and The River at the Center of the World by Simon Winchester before sailing down the Yangtze, but I'm really struggling this time. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

LT

Haven't been on line, as you can tell. Have been running a B & B for the grandkids. One group left yesterday and another coming today.I never thought about fall foliage. Guess I thought only the NE had it. Share your reading concerns. I went onto the Wikiipedia site and printed their description for each port. It should be somewhat helpful.

Was not happy to read dean's review (today) about his just completed cruise. It was under "Viking Legend-Just Returned by ddean 52. All I can say is we will have a great time despite any difficulties that might be placed in our path.

Will chat soon, if I survive the next wave (just kidding).

Larry

Hi Larry...

We fly out 3 weeks from today, so it's time to get serious about making final travel arrangements. Yes, I read Dean's post today and felt like I was back in China again! (If you read my other post today on this site you'll get my drift....) My husband's and my philosophy is that if you're given lemons, then you make lemonade... so we'll plan on joining you for a drink aboard ship. Be it wine or a lemon slush, it really doesn't matter, but no whining allowed! :)

Looking forward to meeting you on the Legend!

LT

Viking China 2004

Viking Russia 2005

Viking GET 2009

Viking Egypt 2010

Hey Larry, I found a travel book today: The Improbable Voyage by Tristan Jones. Not exactly what I was searching for, but as I have less than 3 weeks left it will have to do. Here's the summary as taken from off the back cover...

"The Improbable Voyage is the astonishing account of Tristan Jones' 2,307 mile voyage across Europe in an ocean-going trimaran. With characteristic wit and inimitable style, the legendary sailor and master storyteller continues this tale of his round-the-world voyage begun in Outward Leg......Tristan, together with his crew, sets off up the Rhine and experiences the most severe winter known in Europe for many years. Battling ice and cold, petty-minded bureaucrats and customs officials, Bulgarian gun-boats and Romanian frontier police, he charts his hazardous course up the Rhine and down the Danube......A memorable contribution to travel accounts of Central Europe behind the Iron Curtain, The Improbably Vouyage offers a vivid portrayal of life along Europe's oldest water routes...."

LT

LT

Sounds good. Will look for it through our library system when I go home tomorrow. Have been upstate (NY) July and August, thus DIAL-UP internet. Instant insanity.

From the back cover read, I am happy we are not going in January.

Have a good Labor Day.

Larry

Can't believe that I posted this to the Roll Call threads yesterday...

The countdown begins.... one month til we leave for Amsterdam to begin our 'Grand European Tour' on Viking's Legend. So inquiring minds want to know... Since returning, what do you wish you had known that you didn't before you set sail??? Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer... LT

1 that the sundeck would be closed for most of our trip

2 that the dinners would be as bad as they were

3 that the excursions were as short and disorganized as they were

4 that the over all experience was as no frills/ bargain basement as it was

5 that viking legend was no more than a glorified bus

6 that the viking co. was no more than a grey hound co, on water

on the other hand;

1 the cities were great

2 when we were allowed to sit on the sundeck, the country side was fun to look at

3 that budepest was so much fun i would have precruised there for more than 2 nights

4 should have post cruised in amsterdam for more than 3 nights

I would do a river cruise again, however, i would do it with tauck!

enjoy the cruise (you will!)

Dean

To "Little Toot",

Why are you afraid to come back from Jordan "independently"????? We are coming back from Amman, Jordan in November on Jordanian airlines to Heathrow after a tour in Egypt and Jordan on Tauck. We always make our own air arrangements and have never been concerned.

Sheila

Hi Larry...

Don't know if my husband plans to take a sport coat or not, but if he does he'll wear it on the plane for his jacket. We used to pack light, but haven't flown across the pond since ' 05 so we've developed some bad habits on recent roadtrips. Not sure that I can get myself down to 3 pairs of shoes....that's the worst part for a woman! We plan on doing some layering as the weather should start shifting while we're enroute. Think that we messed up on our timing, however, as we're going to be a bit early for fall foliage...

No physical lists yet, just mental ones. Have been looking for a trip book and am having trouble coming up with just one. I usually choose a good read that gives general background of the area we visit.....for example, I read COD by Mark Kurlansky before we went to Newfoundland and The River at the Center of the World by Simon Winchester before sailing down the Yangtze, but I'm really struggling this time. Any suggestions?

There is absolutely no need for dress clothing unless you intend to eat in nice local restaurants!

Have a great trip!!

Dean

LT

Can't believe we'll be on board in just two weeks. I will be in seclusion M-F, without TV or Internet. I hope the legend is working to get everything "shipshape" for our arrival. I am very excited and don't expect to be drinking any lemonade.

Peace

Larry

To "Little Toot",

Why are you afraid to come back from Jordan "independently"????? We are coming back from Amman, Jordan in November on Jordanian airlines to Heathrow after a tour in Egypt and Jordan on Tauck. We always make our own air arrangements and have never been concerned.

Sheila

Hi Shelia....

We booked our air through Viking on our upcoming Pathways of the Pharaohs tour this coming February because if we booked independent air, we would have had to book a one-way flight from Jordan back to Cairo where we intend to spend an additional two weeks with friends before flying back to Chicago. Our friends who have lived in the Middle East for the past year advised us that one-way independent air with a minimal amount of luggage might 'red flag' us for additional security inspection(s) and we decided to follow their advice... LT

Larry...

I finished reading The Improbable Voyage last evening. Good book and although that trip down the Rhine & Danube occurred 25 years ago under very different circumstances, it still gave me some insight into some of the navigational issues that the Legend may face along those rivers today. Still need to go back and highlight passages listing sights along the route by mileage markers. My husband still needs to read it, but it should prove to be a quick read for him as I know that he'll love the author's style. Who knows, we may end up booking Viking's Eastern European Odyssey in the next year or two in order to complete the journey.....

Looking forward to meeting you and your wife on the Legend.... LT

LT

Just returned home last night. Crazy time to be away. Somehow I will be ready eventhough it seems a impossible, as I look at the empty bag.

The book arrived while I was away. I'll scan it as best I can. We leave early Friday (25th)

afternoon. What time do they let you board the ship on Sunday?

I hope you get this , as I noticed the site have been quiet. Chat along the way.

Peace

Larry

LT...We leave early Friday (25th)

afternoon. What time do they let you board the ship on Sunday?

I hope you get this , as I noticed the site have been quiet. Chat along the way.

Peace

Larry

Hi Larry.....

Sorry that I didn't discover your post sooner, but I've been busy packing. We're flying out tomorrow too, on a direct flight from ORD to Amsterdam. Plan to lock our bags up at Central Station and explore the city until we can check-in to the hotel and will probably repeat the drill on Sunday until we can board the Legend.

From this forum, I know that we both have cabins on the Middle Deck, but I'm not sure as how we go about identifying ourselves to each other... Perhaps I'll just carry 'the book' around with me for the first day or two, which seems more reasonable that walking around humming...."Little Toot was just a tug, just a happy harbour tug..." :)

Looking forward to meeting you in person.....safe journey,

LT

Lt

I like your idea about the book. I'll will keep a sharp eye out for it. Is's better then me arriving with the red rose between my teeth and my wife avoiding me completely. We are staying at the Movenpick. I hope the Legend will be outside the hotel, as it was on one of the past cruises. We will probable get onboard for lunch.

Looking forward to meeting you, have a safe trip. We get picked up around eleven am tomorrow then lucky us, we make a connection in Alt, then on to Amsterdam arriving bright and early Saturday morning. The fun of flying.

Peace

Larry

• 4 weeks later...

Larry...

Just a quick post to confirm that we're back. It was great meeting both you and your wife onboard the Legend. I believe that we were indeed fortunate to have shared our cruise experience with a group of like minded passengers who could accept the low water problems encountered on the Danube and move on. May we all continue to make lemonade out of the lemons we are given in life.... :)

Cheers!

LT

LT

Glad you are back safe and sound. I have been real busy since I got back. To many wakes and funerals, if you know what I mean.

Today is the first I went on this thread. Send me an e-mail and I will bring you up to date.

Dean

The water was low so we stopped at Regensburg. We had a ball. Made new friends. Loved the countries and the people. Last to leave the dinning room each night because we were having so much fun.

• 7 months later...

Archived