Family Shore Excursion Ideas in Ocho Rios

polar_purple

I would like to get some ideas on what to see/do in Ocho Rios, while in port. We will have two boys (ages 8 & 10) and grandma (a very fit 59) with us.

What are some ideas? Here's what I have so far (any tips on these is much appreciated):

Sunset Grande Jamaica visit - seems like #1 right now, as the kids love the beach & waterslides, plus they offer food & drinks

Bamboo Beach Club - sounds intriguing, but not real sure it's appropriate for our kids (or us), as we're not big drinkers

Bobsled Jamaica - I know my 8yo would love this, but it seems pricey

Chukka Dune Buggies - both boys would enjoy this, but very pricey

We are not interested in the following (for various reasons):

Dunns River Falls

Swimming w/dolphins (or sharks)

River Tubing/Rafting

Anywhere that is not good for kids (i.e. lots of nudity or grossly excessive drinking)

We also really don't want to spend an arm & a leg (the dune buggies are $100pp, which is quite a lot in my eyes).

Thanks in advance for your help, and especially on suggestions for other places I haven't reviewed!

We did this cruise in late July/Early August.

Jamica:

We throughly enjoyed the trip to Dunns Falls and the afternoon at the Bamboo Beach club. You sit on the beach in lounge chairs while they bring you jerk chicken and other foods, acohol and non-alcoholic drinks right to your lounge chair on the beach. They have dancers on the beach for you to watch if you get tired of the beautiful beach and ocean. Very decadent. And highly recommended.

BBC was kid friendly. Lots of families ans kids there. Yes, there are drinks being served but its not a wild party scene. Safe for kids, no worries.

We also did the bamboo beach & dunns river falls tour last year. We had the best time. It was completely appropriate for kids - we even noticed a few hostesses and entertainers who seemed to be entertaining a group of children. The food was great, the drinks were good - they served lemonade and water as well - and the dancers were a lot of fun.

We are booking the zipline/ATV excursion with Yardie Tours. Our boys (10 and 8) are both able to participate. They have child sized ATV's and they are able to participate in 4 of the ziplines. Check it out on Tripadvisor. H'Evans Scent is the property where the tour will take place. This is also on Tripadvisor.

Definitely bamboo beach club. We've been there twice. It's great place for the whole family. It's all inclusive - They have nice music, good food and fun entertainment. We saw a lot of kids there and the entertainers and hostesses really made an effort to entertain the children and get them involved.

Guess we're going to nix any ideas of doing the ziplines. Found out this weekend that my 8yo is terrified of heights on a mini-vacation to Niagara Falls.

We ate breakfast at the Fallsview DR (Sheraton) and had a window seat - he refused to sit by it (it's on the 13th floor). And we tried to do that kiddie balloon ride at the hotel that is about 5 stories up - poor guy totally freaked & was sobbing uncontrollably by the time we were done.

So yeah...no ziplines. But thanks, Jared!

However, the mini-atv's sounds very interesting. I'm gonna check that one out. The same 8yo is nuts for four-wheelers.

• 6 months later...
Guess we're going to nix any ideas of doing the ziplines. Found out this weekend that my 8yo is terrified of heights on a mini-vacation to Niagara Falls.

We ate breakfast at the Fallsview DR (Sheraton) and had a window seat - he refused to sit by it (it's on the 13th floor). And we tried to do that kiddie balloon ride at the hotel that is about 5 stories up - poor guy totally freaked & was sobbing uncontrollably by the time we were done.

So yeah...no ziplines. But thanks, Jared!

However, the mini-atv's sounds very interesting. I'm gonna check that one out. The same 8yo is nuts for four-wheelers.

If someone in your party is afraid of heights, definitely don't do the bobsled. There is a 20 minute chair lift ride to get to the top of the mountain where you take the bobsled and although I am not normally afraid of heights, I was freaking out. Now, my 77 year old mother loved the ride, as did my 14 year old twins and DH. I think it was something about not having a place to put my feet and just having them dangle, but I was having a major panic attack!! Once at the top of the mountain, we loved the attraction though, and the bobsled was anti climatic to me (no rougher than Big Thunder Mt. Railroad at Disney) after the chair lift. DH actually inquired about alternative routes down the mt. for me, but we were told we had to take the chair lift again. But, the chair lift down the mountain is significantly lower, so I wasn't as scared. Now, we are going to Ochos Rios again and I have to decide if I can psyche myself up to do the lift again!!

Good luck with whatever you decide. We are also looking at Bamboo Beach Club or the Sunset Beach resort.

Archived