travel insurance? do you always purchase it?

NWgal65

Hello! Any input on this would be appreciated. Do most seasoned crusiers always purchase this? Should this be just part of the vacation expense...or do some of you opt out and take your chances? Do most major health insurance policies cover medical treatment out of this country?

Thanks!

Hello! Any input on this would be appreciated. Do most seasoned crusiers always purchase this? Should this be just part of the vacation expense...or do some of you opt out and take your chances? Do most major health insurance policies cover medical treatment out of this country?

Thanks!

Yes, Always! Too many horror stories. The cost is minimal. The peace of mind is well worth it.

Yes, I always purchase travel insurance, but not from the cruise line. I purchase independently using insure my trip. com . There are just too many things that can go wrong. I know my Blue Cross does not cover me for medical expenses outside of the country, so that is my main concern for insurance. Having to be med evaced off a ship could prove to be a financial disaster for many. I can't afford to "self insure".

I have been following that thread today and now am thinking I should maybe get insurance... 6 day cruise next month...Two healthy adult females with no medical issues what-so-ever.... it's 130 dollars for both of us and this trip is getting more expensive each day (NOT complaining, just wanting to understand if it is really worth it and neccessary?)... but can I get some feedback from seasoned cruisers as to basically what it covers and why you would recommend it or why not? I know it's subjective.. I mean I could theoretically get stung on my StingRay City tour ;) How about on a scale of 1-10, 1 being not neccessary at all and 10 being highly advised? Thanks in advance.. love these boards!!!

For cruises, yes, always. We have a membership at a big box store and book our travel through them. They offer a really good insurance package that we use. We are actually looking at purchasing an annual travel insurance package for the future since we usually take more than 1 vacation a year.

Thank you. I began researching on insuremytrip thanks to your suggestions. I noticed the trip cancellation coverage is only about $567 on the first few policies I compared. Is it normal to be so low? Is "trip cancellation" if I cancel the trip or the cruise line cancels it?

I have been following that thread today and now am thinking I should maybe get insurance... 6 day cruise next month...Two healthy adult females with no medical issues what-so-ever.... it's 130 dollars for both of us and this trip is getting more expensive each day (NOT complaining, just wanting to understand if it is really worth it and neccessary?)... but can I get some feedback from seasoned cruisers as to basically what it covers and why you would recommend it or why not? I know it's subjective.. I mean I could theoretically get stung on my StingRay City tour ;) How about on a scale of 1-10, 1 being not neccessary at all and 10 being highly advised? Thanks in advance.. love these boards!!!

I would say 10. DH and I are both 25 and have no medical conditions or problems. BUT, you never know what can happen when on a cruise or excursion. We did have to use it once when DH became ill and had to go to the ships doctors. The visit would have been $375 (afterhours, 4 meds, 2 shots) without insurance. We paid $0 because we had insurance. The policy cost like $76 and was so worth it! We also use insuremytrip

Thank you. I began researching on insuremytrip thanks to your suggestions. I noticed the trip cancellation coverage is only about $567 on the first few policies I compared. Is it normal to be so low? Is "trip cancellation" if I cancel the trip or the cruise line cancels it?

Is that what you put in as the cost of your trip?

I didn't until the trip where we came back and my Father passed away 2 days later and my Grandmother was in the hospital. I was just glad nothing had happened while we were on the cruise. After that we purchased from an on-line agency. Better safe than sorry.

I've posted this story before, so those of you who have already read it, please bear with me. I like to tell it to anyone who is questioning travel insurance!

In 2003 my husband and I were booked to take a two week land/cruise in Alaska aboard the Coral Princess. We had purchased insurance thru Access America. We mainly got the insurance because my in-laws are elderly and wanted to be covered in case they were to need us during that time. We smugly thought that WE WERE healthy!

About the first day doing the land portion of the trip I started to feel very fatigued. That morphed into a fever and vomiting. I thought I had the flu. I stayed behind on most excursions and thought I could sleep it off.

I got on ship (with lots of Tylenol in me trying to act like I was OK) and within 24 hours we were seeing the ship doctor. He could not tell what was wrong but graciously set us up to see a doctor in Juneau. The ship arranged the transportation and everything for us.

The ER Juneau doctor couldn't make a definitive diagnosis but encouraged us to cut our trip off and return home. I was too sick to deal with any of the details, but my husband was on the phone immediately with Access America who were (by his account) EXTREMELY helpful. They helped to set up our return flights and an extra night of lodging.

Long story short: I returned to Illinois, was hospitalized for several days, and after test results came back learned that I had West Nile Encephalitis. I had apparently contracted it a few days before leaving home. I'm happy to report that I recovered and hope to never be that sick again!

Access America promptly paid bills. I think we were reimbursed within 2 weeks of sending materials to them. Our only mistake was in staying in Alaska as long as we did....they could not reimburse us for the days that we were there, but prorated our total vacation days and paid for that. As stated earlier, Access America also picked up things like the very expensive last-minute airfare, the cancelled air fare for the day after the cruise, lodging, ship doctor, etc.

We did a do-over the very next summer aboard the Coral Princess and enjoyed every minute of it.

And we NEVER travel without insurance!!!

Wow!! RecycleLady - I am so glad things turned out so well for you. Those folks left in Grand Cayman from the news article above should have read your story before they left.

We, too, ALWAYS purchase travel insurance and take our passports off the ship when in another country!!!!

I just purchased it. $59 for a basic policy with decent medical, but I called Blue Cross and they do cover me internationally and gave me the world-wide number. Much has to be pre-approved but at least now I have double coverage.

Traveler353 and Rednose---You are right! The cost of the plan is for the whole family, but the coverage is per person! Duh!

I am on a tight budget, and I thought my health insurance would cover me just fine. I suppose on vacation you don't want to worry about "what ifs."

Thank you all for the info. In future, I will just include this as part of the vacation budget!

10! I only traveled once without insurance and it was a short 3 day cruise which still could have been an issue if either one of us had anything come up. I always buy insurance. So many things can go wrong. Cost is minimal. Ask yourself this: Do you ever consider dropping your auto insurance if you haven't had an accident in 10 years? Of course not. Do you consider eliminating health insurance cuz you are basically healthy. Do you want to cancel homeowners insurance cuz chances of your house suffering a loss is minimal. I'm insurance poor and will continue to be. It is part of the cruise.

About to go on our 8th cruise - and we've never bought it. Just yesterday DH was saying that it was worth the gamble.

But, he was not thinking about the medical issues!! So, I've just checked into the medical and evac insurance only - only about $30 for our upcoming cruise - so yes, I'm buying it!

I work in the healthcare field and know how much the bills can rack up!!

About to go on our 8th cruise - and we've never bought it. Just yesterday DH was saying that it was worth the gamble.

But, he was not thinking about the medical issues!! So, I've just checked into the medical and evac insurance only - only about $30 for our upcoming cruise - so yes, I'm buying it!

I work in the healthcare field and know how much the bills can rack up!!

Kim, I work for a health insurance company and I see first hand the amount of these claims too.

Where'd you get your insurance?

Most medical insurance policies don't cover medical evacuation by plane or helicopter. You can be healthy one minute and have a broken leg, concussion, or appendicitis the next.

Buy the insurance.

Roz

Thanks!

You have to check your own medical policy. However, I would suspect that most limit the coverage to the United States and Canada.

Do I always purchase travel insurance? I do now. Why, because it covers an expense that medical policies don't - evacuation. Also it covers you if you cannot go on the trip for a covered reason and it covers you for added expenses as a result of a covered reason (like you missed your flight home because the ship couldn't dock as a result of a covered reason.

The cost for the insurance is low and the risks are high. Nonetheless, you have to decided if the risk is something you are willing to take, or if you would feel better purchasing the insurance. Of course, you hope you never need it.

Archived