Costa Rica; earliest flight out?

ShirleyZ

Hi, I am planning our return flights. What is the earliest flight suggested after the cruise? We are probably getting our own transport to the airport. Looking at an 11:30 am flight. Has anyone done this? What time does the Windstar transport arrive at the airport? What time can we expect to leave the ship if we make our own arrangements? I have been to Costa Rica three times so I am aware of the distance, roads etc. Thanks everyone, Shirley

I think you might be pushing it...maybe. We took Windstar Costa Rica several years ago, and ship got back pretty early, but you never know about the time it will take for customs and port officials to do their work. And, you have a long bus ride from ship to the airport...about an hour, I believe. We are going on the Windstar for Jan. 9 CR trip and are staying a night in CR at end of cruise. As I recall, for last trip, we planned on an afternoon departure (2pm) and we didn't stress the airport arrival. I really don't think I'd try for a morning departure.

I don't think there is any way you could make an 11:30a flight. I think the travel time from Puerto Caldera to San Jose, even if you were driving yourself (nevermind in a bus), is more like 2 hours, and could be more.

The drive is over/through a mountain range or two... not a straight stretch of road, and is not a multilane highway -- I would build in some wiggle room there, just in case there is an obstruction on the road. Plus, cruising is a volatile thing -- even though most things go just right, there is always the possibility of being delayed into port for some reason.

Personally, I would not book a flight before 1p, and I would probably make it later (when we did this cruise, we also stayed overnight in the San Jose area). I realize that if everything goes perfectly, you end up with hours to kill in San Jose, but I'd rather deal with that than a missed flight. JMHO.

Oh, and it seems to me they want you off the ship by 9 or so... we did their bus tour/transport, and I think we had to be off the ship by 8:00 for that. I think you can start disembarking around 7 or before. I'll try to remember to check my paperwork from then and post back.

Found my paperwork. Keep in mind this info is from January 2007. I wouldn't expect them to change it too terribly much, but it is possible their protocol has changed.

From the daily bulletin for disembarkation day:

Arrival 7:00 a.m.

After the local authorities have cleared the vessel, you may step ashore.

Disembarkation schedule:

Airport Transfer departs ship 8:00 a.m.

Hotel Transfer departs ship 8:30 a.m.

Independent Guests departs ship 8:30 a.m.

Archived