Maine Lobster = cold water lobster?

LindaKE

On a post, I read that I should make sure I'm getting a cold water lobster. In a restaurant the other day the waiter told us that they had just gotten in a shipment of live Maine lobster. Are all Maine lobsters cold water lobsters, or are there at least 2 kinds of lobster from Maine?

JMO, but a true Maine lobster would be caught in the off the Maine coast in the Gulf of Maine waters which are cold, but the book definition of a Maine Lobster is any of several cold-water lobsters with large tender claws, caught from Maine to the Carolinas.

Does the lobster they are claiming as Maine Lobster have large claws?

I think if you want the best Maine Lobster, you should spend a week in Bar Harbor just going from one lobster pound to the next, eating lobster till you burst :D.

Any lobster caught in Maine waters is cold. I'm not a lobster expert; I just love to eat them!

If they are saying it is a Maine Lobster then they are saying it is a cold water lobster. The warm water rock lobsters are what they serve on Caribbean cruises, but a Maine lobster as mentioned with have the larger claws. Maine lobsters are the best in my opinion and nothing waiting on the dock in Kennebunkport and picking them out of the catch just pulled off the boat. Enjoy!

I think if you want the best Maine Lobster, you should spend a week in Bar Harbor just going from one lobster pound to the next, eating lobster till you burst :D.

Now THAT is a challenge only me an Homer Simpson could love. I'm cruising up north next week and will make sure I sample a few. Uhhhhhhh.

Jim

Archived