Thomson Spirit 16th October Med Renaissance

We are going on Thomson Spirit on 16th October - flying from Manachester to Palma. Visiting Villefranche, Marina Di Carrara, Civitavecchia, Ajaccio and Palamos. Can anyone give me some info on the following:

Can we take we take our own booze on board to drink in the cabin? Can we get duty free from airport in Manchester and take it with us? Can we take a bottle of wine in suitcase?

Can you take food off the boat to have a picnic lunch?

Are tips included in price of holiday?

How do we go about paying for drinks on board ship?

Can anyone recommend any excursion companies that do them cheaper than Thomson? Especially for Florence.

Sounds like we are real meanies, but the more money we can save the more cruises we can have!

Any other information will be deeply appreciated.

We are going on Thomson Spirit on 16th October - flying from Manachester to Palma. Visiting Villefranche, Marina Di Carrara, Civitavecchia, Ajaccio and Palamos. Can anyone give me some info on the following:

Can we take we take our own booze on board to drink in the cabin? Yes Can we get duty free from airport in Manchester and take it with us? Yes Can we take a bottle of wine in suitcase? Yes

Can you take food off the boat to have a picnic lunch? Yes

Are tips included in price of holiday? Yes - but the staff are so good, we do give our cabin stweard and waiters (if we have the same ones each evening) something extra - but that is discretionary.

How do we go about paying for drinks on board ship? You're given a ship's card when you embark and this has to be presented every time you leave or board the ship (that way they keep track of who's on board or ashore) but it also doubles as a 'credit card' on board. You provide your own credit/debit card details when you are 'processed' on embarkation (or you lodge cash with them - I think it's a minimum of £200) and you then use your ship's card every time you 'purchase' something on board (drinks, spa treatments, excursions, shop purchases etc). It is added to your ship's account and will be debited from your 'real' credit card - or deducted against the cash you gave them up front.

Can anyone recommend any excursion companies that do them cheaper than Thomson? Especially for Florence. Sorry, no - we've only ever done the ship's transfer to Florence. Sounds like we are real meanies, but the more money we can save the more cruises we can have! Don't blame you - that's why have an inside basic cabin!

Villefranche is LOVELY - no need to go anywhere else but if you do, it's easy (and cheap) to get the train from here to Nice or Monaco.

Likewise, it's only about 9E return from Civitavecchia to Rome. I'd strongly advise you to get off the ship as early as you can though and head back to the ship in good time - allow for at least two later trains than the one you intend to catch which could get you back to the ship before sailing. You don't want to be left behind!

Ajaccio is quite a pretty little place - there's a little train you can get to tour the town, but there's not a whole lot there but it's a pleasant relaxing stop (waterfront cafes etc) in amongst the tiring Florence/Rome type ports of call.

Palamos again is a quieter stop - quite a nice long promenade - you can walk straight off the ship (as you can at Ajaccio) and there is a small but fairly good shopping area here.

Hope this helps!

yes you can take booze, yes you can take food, of board, wine in suitcase ? tips are included, why dont you buy the drinks package all inclusive better deal than buying, have a nice trip

Tom & Elizabeth

Can all you ladies/ gentlemen please pass any info over to me about the Hairdressing studios on board the Spirit prices ect of cut and blow, and all the other beuty treatments prices ect

Thanks Elizabeth

Hello Elizabeth

I got a wash, blow dry, style,(hair that is) for Gala night( as a treat) and it cost £40, wasnt bad either. On another occassion I got my make up done- again for Gala Night- £18- wasnt worth it! But staff change on ships so it depends on the quality of staff I guess.

Can we take we take our own booze on board to drink in the cabin? Can we get duty free from airport in Manchester and take it with us? Can we take a bottle of wine in suitcase?

Can you take food off the boat to have a picnic lunch?

Are tips included in price of holiday?

How do we go about paying for drinks on board ship?

Can anyone recommend any excursion companies that do them cheaper than Thomson? Especially for Florence.

Sounds like we are real meanies, but the more money we can save the more cruises we can have!

hello jules205. just been on the spirit . no to your first question no duty free at the airport you are still in the e.u. at spain. spirit has duty free shop on board. yes to your 2nd within reason but its cheap in thiershop onboard. dont put bottles in your suitcase they get knocked about a bit.3rdly you can take food out of the lido in napkins but believe me you will be glad of tummy break. tips are included onboard but the staff are so obliging you will feel sad if tou dont. 4th all drinks in bars go straight on your cabin card. 5th i have always used thomson trips ashore its a sure way of getting back on board in time as we found out on to late returns. they wont hold the ship late for independant trippers.

Archived