Train Questions

Leigh-Anne V

Hi!

Sitting in Anchorage and internet connection isn't the best so I'm having trouble searching the forums for the answers ...

We are taking the train to Whittier tomorrow and were wondering which side was better to sit on?

Next train question .. we are booked with Chilkoot tours .. bus up and train down for the 7.5hr tour ... which side is better to sit on for those?

thanks!!

Leigh-Anne

We took the train from Anchorage to Whittier and I don't really remember there being a "best" side. The left side is better if they see Dall sheep. The right side is better if there is a bear in Turnagain Arm. (We had both of those situations on our trip.) You can get up and go out on the platform. And I know on our trip, if there was something spotted on one side of the train, everyone from the other side could come over and get pics. People were really nice/easygoing about letting others squeeze in to get that shot.

Seats are assigned on the Alaska RR. The right side- from Anchorage is the Arm and most scenic views. If you are on the "wrong" side, just get up and go sit in the dome car.

For Skagway, sit on the RIGHT- on both the bus and train.

Archived