Celebrity Cruises

wmjivey

Am looking at a 14 night Hawaii cruise on the Summit in March 2006. Boys will be 10 and 12 at the time. What can anyone tell me about the children's program on Celebrity? Do you feel this is a more adult ship or is it a good one for kids?

Thanks.

Hi,

Celebrity is a fine cruise line. I would tend to agree that it's a bit more adult-oriented than, say, Carnival or Royal Caribbean. But Celebrity has a fine children's program geared toward specific age groups: 3-6 (Shipmates), 7-9 (Celebrity Cadets), 10-12 (Ensigns), and 13-17 (Admiral T's).

Sailing during March, depending on time of the month, you may encounter a few more children due to various schools being on Spring Break.

However, the longer 14-day sailings do tend to attract less of the family element, given their overall higher cost.

I hope you'll stay with Celebrity and that you find its' level of service and sophistication very much to your liking.

Happy Sailings,

CM

CelebrityMan:

Thanks for the input. I was quoted a price for the March 2006 cruise for the four of us out of LA and is the same, if not cheaper, than flying to Houston, New Orleans or Miami and going Caribbean for 7 days.

So far, even though the boys will be out of school a week, this seems like the most economical trip yet.

Thanks again for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

wmjivey ~

We have cruise with our children several times on Celebrity....Summit, Mercury & Century.

Celebrity has a very well managed children's program....

The counselor's are top notch...most are from Europe or Canada.

My standards in this area are very high....and Celebrity has consistently exceeded my expectations.

The general rule of thumb is, the longer the cruise, the less children there will be on board. We did an 11 day Celebrity Summit cruise last year, and there were 4 children on board, with three of them being pre-school age. With that few children on board, they might not run a kid's program at all. I know on our Summit cruise, they didn't have a program. If your boys won't mind being in the minority as far as other kids on board, then Celebrity is a nice choice, even without a kid's program.

Although the kids program is very good on Celebrity, I would also like to add that unless you are cruising during a peak time for children, there may not be enough kids on board to have the full benefit of the program. We cruised to Bermuda on the Horizon in May and there were only 30 kids total on the ship. My son who was 8 at the time was put in with kids who were 5 because there just were not enough kids to warrant the usual separating. The counselors were wonderful, but my son was bored do things for younger children.

We went on Constellation last spring and our daughter had a great time. If the cruise is during spring break at all there should be lots of kids on board. Although there usually are less kids unless it's spring break or summer I have been finding more and more that just isn't true. Lots of people are figuring out that cruising is a lot of fun for the whole family and are taking the kids on more and more trips. We went on RCCL to the Baltic this summer which you would think because of the itinerary wouldn't have many kids but there were, and I don't think it is necessarily because it was summer. I just think people are traveling more and more and after you've done a few Caribbean cruises, you want to try the more exotic ports. hey when is it? We would love to do a Hawaii trip, but like you guys it would have to be during spring break or the summer. We were able to find a Panama Canal one for this spring and I can't wait!

We were on Celebrity Millenium during Christmas week a few years ago with our 2 DD about the same ages as your sons. All I can say is your sons will be very bored! We felt more like we were in a nursing home more than on a cruise. We have since been on RCCL Voyager class ships three times and WOW! what a difference! These are kid ships all the way, Expecially for boys. Every night there would be about a hundred boys up on the sports deck playing basketball and other such games. The kids area are very well hiddent from the rest of the ship so you would never know there were 900 kids on board.

I don't think there will be to many kids on a 14 night cruise to Hawaii in March. If your sons will be happy on a ship for that many sea days and keep themselves busy than go ahead. The dinning experience on Celebrity is top notch if that is all you plan on doing. Celebrity doesn't have the fun pool games and entertainment that RCCL and Carnival offer all year round. There will be mostly senior citzens (many in wheelchairs and disabled) on a cruise of that length with that many sea days on a Celebrity ship. Celebrity doesn't always run their childrens program year round. I wouldn't count on it.

Norwegian, Carnival and even Princess have great cruises from the West coast to the Mexican Reviera. I just priced one on Norwegian for 8 days from LA on a new ship to 4 ports in Mexico. It was priced around $550 per person for inside room.

If Hawaii is a must than I would just fly there and do a land vacation. You will have more time to explore the Islands on your own instead of being stuck on ship out at sea with not much to do for that many sea days. Hope your family had a great time!

Thanks for all the responses.

We are still very much interested in a Celebrity cruise but have decided not to take the boys out of school so will have to wait and see what else comes up.

Thanks again.

I have been checking out Alaskan cruises, and was surprised that the Monarch has the lowest fare for a seven day cruise to Alaska originating in Seattle.

It is my 7 year old daughter and myself. In the past we have gone Carnival. If we choose a late August sailing do you think there would be plenty of kids on board?

Thanks.

Archived