Hio activities w/kids?

Sherette7769

Just got back from PoA with a 7 and 4 year old. In Hilo, my husband and some of the guys in our group did an all day coffee plantation tour. The kids and I did the glass bottom boat and dolphin cruise in the am. (About 2 hours.) Saw tons of dolphins in the crystal clear water and it was a lovely scenic ride on a very large, comfortable boat. We went back to the ship for lunch then tendered back to Hilo for the afternoon. We walked around the shops and then took a swim at the small, very calm beach located right at the dock. (You can't miss it.)

JessLCH...I think that the day you are describing took place in Kona which is the only tender port on the POA itinerary. It does sound like your family spent a wonderful day in Kona.

Hilo is on the other side of the Big Island and is the port where most folks visit VNP. In Hilo, the ship is docked. Would love to hear what you did in Hilo with your family.

Whoops, sorry I don't know how I read Kona for Hilo. We did a private tour of VNP, Rainbow Falls and black sand beach with Ricky's tours in Hilo. It was about 5 hours and it was terrific, though it was a little too much for my 4 year old. (It was his only grumpy day during our two week trip.) If VNP would be too much for your little one, the falls and black sand beach might be neat. Isd there a ship tour that does just those stops? Sorry I misread the post.

Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo is a nice place to spend a couple of hours. My kids really enjoyed it. Here is a link with info.

http://www.hilozoo.com/

Thanks for the site! It looks as if this might be the perfect thing to keep them occupied for a couple of hours while Dad is away. They always love the zoo anyway, and it looks manageable alone with the two of them. Do you know how far it is from the port ... did you take a taxi or drive? Thanks again for the tip!

Thanks for the site! It looks as if this might be the perfect thing to keep them occupied for a couple of hours while Dad is away. They always love the zoo anyway, and it looks manageable alone with the two of them. Do you know how far it is from the port ... did you take a taxi or drive? Thanks again for the tip!

We had a car rented for the day so we drove to the zoo. It's about a 10 to 15 minute drive from the port. It's a really enjoyable zoo and the grounds are so beautiful. We loved the peacocks just roaming around. A couple of them put on quite a show for us. Plus it's free!

Archived