Pullman Bed VS. Fold out Sofa COMforT!!

alylee777

Hi,

We are going on Navigator in May and have booked a cabin with a pullman bed. We have 1 son who will be 11 and are wondering if anyone has felt the difference in comfort between the pullman and the foldout couches in the balcony rooms.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alyson:D

I'm curious about this as well. We just booked a cabin for 4 with a pullout sofa instead of 2 upper berths. Our youngest will only be 3 and too young to sleep "upstairs." I'm wondering exactly how the pullout sofa works and how large it is since it's supposed to hold 2 people.

If you have 4 people in the cabin I am sure you still have an upper bed.

Really? I specifically booked our cabin (8214) because the sofa supposedly holds 2 people. On another website (not the one I ultimately booked through), the description of this cabin indicated 4 lower beds. In the deck plans, the icons show a sofabed only, no upper berths. It is a larger oceanview stateroom (category F) -- I assumed that the larger cabin size allowed for a larger sofabed that could hold 2 people.

I'll have to research some more to find out if I have misinterpreted. We primarily wanted to avoid upper berths because my son will only be 3 and too young to sleep in a bunk. I guess one upper berth would be fine for my daughter (who would LOVE it), but I'm sure we'd have a heck of a time trying to keep ds off!

Really? I specifically booked our cabin (8214) because the sofa supposedly holds 2 people. On another website (not the one I ultimately booked through), the description of this cabin indicated 4 lower beds. In the deck plans, the icons show a sofabed only, no upper berths. It is a larger oceanview stateroom (category F) -- I assumed that the larger cabin size allowed for a larger sofabed that could hold 2 people.

I'll have to research some more to find out if I have misinterpreted. We primarily wanted to avoid upper berths because my son will only be 3 and too young to sleep in a bunk. I guess one upper berth would be fine for my daughter (who would LOVE it), but I'm sure we'd have a heck of a time trying to keep ds off!

I have never seen a cabin with 4 lower beds. Could you post what you find out--coz now I am curious. (I couldnt imagine 4 lower beds in any cabin)

Well now I can't remember which site I saw that info on -- I can't find it. But it distinctly said 4 lower for the larger oceanview, as opposed to 2 upper/2 lower for the standard oceanview. I just assumed that meant the sofabed was large enough to sleep 2, not that there are 4 separate beds. I have done a search on cruise critic message boards for the specific cabin numbers we were considering and saw at least one reference to the fact that the sofa bed in a similar cabin sleeps 2.

I'm not going to sweat it -- if we end up with one upper berth, my daughter will be absolutely thrilled. We would just have to make sure ds doesn't try to climb up there after her.

We had a sofa bed for two on the Voyager of the Seas. It was a futon sofa bed that slept two people. Mattress was very firm(hard). My kids did not like it, so they took the beds and Hubby and I took the futon. Hubby is 6' 4" and I am 5' 9". His feet hung off the sofa bed. We slept fine on it, we were tired each night. Our friend had the same cat. cabin and there sofa bed was like a sofa bed you would have in the house, mattress very soft(felt the bars underneath. Hope this helps. Have a great cruise!

Hi again,

Has anyone actually climbed up into the pullman? How is it done? Is it just a mattress on a board with a type of railing? I figure my kid will probably love it because he has never slept in a bunkbed. I guess the thought of him sleeping above us kind of freaks me out!!!

A:D

Our youngest will only be 3 and too young to sleep "upstairs."
I don't do upper berths. So, the one time that I cruised with my parents and had a pullman upper berth, I would remove the mattress from the berth and lay it on the floor - it worked like a charm. And this was on the Sovereign of the Seas, with its tiny outside cabins!

Here is a quick picture of our cabin that had the upper bunk. If you look around that thing hanging there...you will see it. During the day it can be put away. as you can see there is a little railing. If you have a wee one.. get one of those portable ones to use too.

http://joephila.net/cruise/ship16.jpg

Hi Serene:

How's your cruise @ Legend in Oct, '04. I inquired about the noise level above the main showroom in a posting back in Oct, and you kindly responded to my concerns, and indicated that you might be able to check it out for us, did you have a chance to go by that area? Can you hear noises from the main showroom below if you are in the cabin located in the upper lever (Category 8C)?

Thanks.

Eli

Eli: Actually the cabins on the Legend are very quiet. You cant hear the noises in the hallway unless the door is opened. I learned this when we left our cabin and all those cabin stewards were having a nice meeting (loud) outside our door. I dont think you will have a problem with the noise from the showroom.

Can you tell me your cabin number and let me see where you are located.

If you look at the deck plans for the upper deck then look at the plans for the main deck you will see that your cabin is more located toward the back- the very back of that show lounge... Even so the shows are over by 11pm. I really dont think you have a good concern... lol you will love it.

We bought a choc chip cookie from that "cafe" make sure you try one. THey cost a buck each but my gawd were they worth every penny.

Serene56.

I believe the couch flatten out to become a bed. Its been a few cruise since I had the futton sofa bed. The back of the couch and the seat of the couch come together to make a bed. We had an aft JS cabin. Our friends had side JS cabin and they had a conventional sleeper sofa where the cushions of the seat come off and you pull out the bed from under the seat cushions. The futton(or jackknife style ) was more comfortable IMHO. I could email you pictures if you would like. Send your email address to wdc500@ptd.net.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.!

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to bulletin board replies. However I mistakenly booked (via internet) a D1 Superior room (with mini bar/extra room) thinking it would be better than a deluxe. But I didn't realise at the time when I upgraded that I had chosen a room with a sofa bed instead of pullmans (E) or one pullman and sofa. My kids are 6 and 9 and have previously cruised at ages 3(maybe 4)girl and 6(boy) on pullmam beds on the Grandeur. They loved them and I wanted them again so they don't kill each other in bed(alas) - heck they are lucky enough to be going but all our family are in Oz so no babysitter - hence cruise vacation. At RCC customer service they said hey let the kids sleep in the twin beds. My husband says no way! I can ask for a rollaway if necessary. My daughter will sleep anywhere but my son is bony and needs a soft mattress. I hope the sofa bed is comfy. I was also told I could order extra 'cushions' whatever that means. Some quick reply hey.

Hi Alyson,

We have been cruising since my little guy was 3 and he actually slept in the upper pullman bed. There is a safety bar. We also had our beds put together as a Queen/King so that if any did fall down or out, they would land on the beds that are joined together vs. the floor. There is a ladder for climbing up and down, if you want to use it. Hope that helps. Ellie

We cruised a few weeks ago on the Mariner. We had a junior suite for 4 young adults in their 20's. They had a sofa bed. I do not know which type they had...I will have to ask them. We made a request from their room attendant for a mattress pad type thing for the top of the sofa bed. They used that and they took turns sleeping on the sofa bed. No one complained about it at all......of course, everyone was quite tired by the time they went to bed!!!

Archived