Ruins in Belize or Costa Maya?

onelkytraveler

We will be on Carnival Valor the first week of November and would like to see some ruins/pyramids. I have never been to anything like this, so I have a question - do you go inside any of them?

We are considering Dzibanche or Chacchoben in Costa Maya and/or Lamani in Belize...but am open to suggestions. I'd appreciate any comments in regard to size of ruins, jungle or barren landscape, wow factor, length of tour, availability of food (do we need to take lunch?), tour operators you used, etc.

Please and thank you for helping me decide!!

Having never toured the ruins in Belize I cannot speak to those particular tours. having viewed both Chacchoben and Kohunlich in Costa Maya with Native Choice, I don't think you can go wrong booking with David and Ivan. Both tours were excellent (once with David and once with Enedina) though the experience is quite different as the two ruins date from different eras in Mayan history. Kohunlich is pretty much an all-day affair with the possibility of an optional stop at the Laguna Azul (which we didn't do). Chacchoben is closer though still a fine tour giving you time to visit the pier area or the fishing village of Majahual.

Having done the Xunantunich ruins in Belize and heard about the various modes of travel to Altun Hu, I'd say for short excursions ( 4-5 hours) go to Chacchoben with Native Ways. If you prefer a longer excursion and more sightseeing that just the highway, got to Altun Hu via a ship excursion (in case anything delays your trip the ship knows where you are and will wait for you). Just don't plan on doing anything else in Belize.

It's been a few years, but we did Lamani in Belize and it was by far one of the most fabulous excursions we have been on. It was an all day tour that first took you on a boat ride because the ruins are not accessible by land. We got a tour of the river which was nice. We stopped and has lunch provided which was chicken cooked on a grill and pasta salad. This was provided by the excursion company and not the ship, so I was a little aprehensive about the safety of the meat and whatnot, but I didn't get sick from it. After lunch we toured the ruins and they were FABULOUS. We saw different temples, and you walked through a rain forrest from one temple to the next. There were monkies in the trees and it was a really great way to see the ruins. We were able to climb on the ruins, but could not enter them. We saw at least three different temples. Then it was a faster boat ride back to the bus. By then everyone is worn out from the day and they hurry to get you back to the ship. I'm going to Belize again in February, but my ship is not offering the Lamani excursion because of the time issue. It is an all day excursion and you will not have time to do anything else. The bus ride to the river takes you through part of the country and the guide explains some interesting facts about life in Belize. Definately an excursion I would highly recommend!

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful replies. Even though I think the Lamani trip was our first choice, we have opted for Chacchoben with Native Choice due to the length of the tour and tender port in Belize - just a little too nervous about not making the ship! Native Choice is so highly recommended that I think we will enjoy it. We will just have to go back again some day to see Lamani...oh darn! :)

Archived