Just back from the baltic cruise

LouiseB

Did you realise that you can ask for whatever vegetables you want in Compass Rose?

Like you, I always order sides of whatever vegetables I'm in the mood for, usually spinach. There's enough for others at the table as well. I have a friend who always orders a side of french fries each dinner. Something like a Cesar salad is available every night as well. I suspect OP never asked for a side of vegetables. NEXT TIME THINK OUTSIDE THE PRINTED MENU.

Prime 7 suits my taste just fine. Such an individual thing. I was never a big fan of Latitudes.

We were also on the August 21st Baltics cruise and I posted our observations on another cruise forum. We thought the cruise was terrific.

It is clear from this thread just how subjective tastes are. We thought the meals in Compass Rose were probably the most consistently good meals we've had over the 78 days we've been on Regent. The rack of lamb was delicious, and a lobster entree was also memorable. That said, our dinner at Signatures--which is usually a highlight on our Regent cruises--was disappointing. Of course, 3 out of 4 of us had the duck breast (magret de canard) and it was not very good. Further, a replacement order of halibut was overcooked. Perhaps we had the same server as NC&KY, because she was not very attentive either.

Our dinner at Price 7 was interesting--we were at the same table as mrlevin. My main course--a veal chop--was nothing special. Others at the table seemed to enjoy their entrees more, especially the prime rib and the whole lobster. The appetizers and sides were generally quite good. And the multi-layer chocolate cake was outstanding. We will certainly give Prime 7 another chance on our next Regent cruise. As for Signatures, I think in the future, we will be more careful in our choices and stick to less "interesting" dishes.

NetBill - The issue with where the ship docks is that it might make it more difficult to make good use of a personal visa if the ship is way out in the industrial port. Although we did not have the great good fortune to dock on the Neva River in the city (that would have been perfect), we did have the good luck to dock right next to the customs hall at the port. There were always taxis available right outside the customs hall.

I was told by crewmembers that when the ship docks farther out in the port, there is a shuttle to take passengers to and from the customs hall. One cannot easily or safely walk through the industrial port. Perhaps someone who has been aboard when the ship docked farther out in the port could confirm that.

We loved our day of wandering about St. P. on our own, revisiting St. Isaacs and the Church of the Spilled Blood at our own pace, taking a canal tour, having a wonderful lunch of Russian specialities at a restaurant across the canal from the Church of the Spilled Blood, and bargaining for souvenirs at the arts & crafts market on that same square. However, a key element that made us comfortable doing all of that was that I speak quite a bit of Russian (remnants of my training as a Russian linguist in the army about a million years ago). Even without speaking Russian, we'd likely have done the day on our own but would have been a bit less at ease dealing with cab drivers.

According to our captain, Captain Knute, they usually don't know until the day of docking where they will be assigned. While we docked right in front of the customs hall, the docking on the visit the week before was more than a mile farther out in the port. It all depends upon which other ships are in port, when they arrive and depart, etc. Thus, it is fairly unlikely that you will be able to determine well in advance whether you'll be close in or farther out in the port.

In summary, you probably won't be able to make the decision whether to obtain a personal visa based on any certain knowledge regarding the docking location of the ship.

Cheers, Fred

Thanks for insight -- especially on St Petersburg. We go on SS Voyager in August 28 and do the Baltic.

Is is sweater weather most days. Is it ever warm enough to use the pool.

Were the public areas on the ship nice -- coffee shop, library, computer room, and shows.

I got a chuckle from this thread, in a good way.

I have done this tour 4 times (the last being this August), and I feel it has the best ports of any cruise I have taken (20 so far).

The only port I was not impressed with was Visby, just my opinion.

I do agree that Regent should make it clearer that especially in the Compass Rose, you can always ask for something different, like veggies, and they will accommodate if they can.

I also agree that St. Petersburg is the most fabulous city I have visited. In 2 or 3 years, I will go back again. Wendy, I have always had a personal visa, or have booked a "walking" tour with one of the companies there. Once you know the city a bit, it is the only way to go.

The evening with the Tsars was wonderful from the point of view of being able to take pictures anywhere you want, including the amazing Amber Room. I felt the dinner and accompaning entertainment was very ordinary and touristy.

Also, I was amused by the comment about being docked in the commercial port, Wendy. Be sure you are not if you get your own visa because there is basically no way to get out of there. If I remember, I will send you more details in a private message or email.

To say the least, I love the Baltic cruise

I was on this cruise the week before and did it in reverse (started in Stockholm, ended in Copenhagen). I also loved Estonia but didn't mind 3 days in Russia. We did do the one day tour of Moscow so that really helped break up the time in St. Petersburg and was amazing. Highly recommend that excursion. Well worth the extra cost. Another American here and I didn't think Prime 7 was anything special.

St. Petersburg Industrial Port was the pits.....I sure did not see any transportation available outside the terminal!! And it was a very long way from that Port to the part of the City you would want to be in. That being said I bet the staff on the ship would know how to get you into town....The port was nasty....interesting that the Capt. told you they don't know ahead of time because last August on Voyager...we arranged a private tour for two of our three days and they told me that we would be in the industrial port and our guide made arrangements accordingly?? The only thing they could not confirm was which berth....we saw the dock right at town and their was ok my mind is losing it...can't remember the other cruiselines name....much much smaller ship, I was surprised that a ship the size of Voyager could even berth there....but it would be fab if you could!!! Now that would be a walk off and be in town!! Oh I knew which port about 45 days before sailing!

Now lets talk about the weather......umbrellas....that would be the word to describe something you would not want to be without!!! Stockholm and Copenhagen beautiful and warm (t-shirts weather) and the balance of the trip was lots of rain and you need light weight jackets...waterproof....I don't remember anyone ever around the pool much less in it except when we sailed out of Stockholm....it was gorgious that evening...but nobody in the pool and I think the weather was so poor that food was NEVER served out there the entire cruise....

This cruise was wonderful and the weather did not dampen spirits one bit....you will love it.

Kathleen

ps Next time I will get my own Visa so that it will be up to me and no one else whether I go into town or not as where there is a will there is always a way!

Archived