Thoughts?

forthe3boys

I'm sending my parents to Alaska on a 11 night Celebrity Cruisetourand these are the shore excursions I purchased for them for the cruise portion of their tour:

Evening Whale Quest, Mendenhall Glacier

Wildnerness Exploration and Crab Feast

Skagway Extravaganza

Halibut Fishing in Hoonah by G-Wind Charters

Did I choose okay?

Also, I was thinking of purchasing the following excursions for the cruisetour portion of the trip? Should I buy or skip?

Cabin Night Theatre in Denali

Portage River Raft and Salmon Dinner in Aleyska

Any thoughts?

Thanks for sharing your advice and experience,

forthe3boys

That's late in the season. I would skip Cabin night at Denali and the evening whale quest with Mendenhall Glacier. Check sunrise/sunset times.

Personally I love Portgage Glacier having watched it retreat for several decades. Check the season to make sure the rafting trip is still going. Where do they serve the salmon bake? Key question for food.

Need I say that you are very nice to your parents? Do you need an extra mother?

I'm sending my parents to Alaska on a 11 night Celebrity Cruisetourand these are the shore excursions I purchased for them for the cruise portion of their tour:

Evening Whale Quest, Mendenhall Glacier

Wildnerness Exploration and Crab Feast

Skagway Extravaganza

Halibut Fishing in Hoonah by G-Wind Charters

Did I choose okay?

Also, I was thinking of purchasing the following excursions for the cruisetour portion of the trip? Should I buy or skip?

Cabin Night Theatre in Denali

Portage River Raft and Salmon Dinner in Aleyska

Any thoughts?

Thanks for sharing your advice and experience,

forthe3boys

As only a suggestion, if an option, sailing in this timeframe is better to go northbound, since the Inside Passage drops off significantly in weather where you have them sailing. If available to reverse this, they have much better odds.

You will need to rebook your whale watch, even though it may be on your shore excursion list available for booking, it will NOT be running. In their cruising timeframe, it's going to be dusk at 7pm. Since they are going independent in Hoonah, you might also want to consider that in Skagway, if that happens to be a ship shore excursion. The smaller buses can be superior, also some of the tours, definately more personal. This is general, since I don't know from this "tour description".

Especially in the fall at Denali Park, having them on the Tundra Wilderness tour is especially excellent, can be loaded with wildlife and no bugs. :)

Be certain, they are WELL prepared in their attire, necessary will be a lined jacket, knit hat, gloves, good rain gear, 2 pair of walking shoes, warm layers.

Archived