Whales in December

dleighb

We are looking at possibly taking the POA the week before Christmas of next year. What is the likelihood that we will see whales? I know January through April is the best time, but my sister-in-law teaches so cruising during the school year is tough for her.

Thanks!

Dana

Once I visited Maui during the third week of October and there was a great deal of excitement as the first whale of the season was spotted while I was there. So, I planned my next trip for December thinking that if the first arrives in October, then there must be a large number in December. Not. We saw three whales only during this early December trip. You quite possibly will see more towards the end of the month and it probably varies from year to year.

You are correct that January thru March are the best months. Sorry you can't visit at that time of year. Last time I visited was in February and we never once went out onto the condo's lanai without seeing whales. One even breached just off shore of our condo in Ka'anapali.

(Am attaching a photo collage of some of my February Maui sightings, and the most exciting of all taken in July in Auke Bay, Alaska near Juneau. Click to enlarge.)

PS: The two photos in the top corners of the Maui collage are dolphins, not whales; all the rest are humpback whales.

1937225775_AukeBayHumpbacksCollage.jpg.1713a6b359e9785ff7f92a333e9055f0.jpg

779900299_WowieMauiWhales.jpg.3474e6fb1f73841ab8a0066e3a8e2e48.jpg

Archived