traveling with teens

topspin1267

Our friend will be traveling with us with her husband and 2 teen daughters. Her daughters are from her previous marriage so have a different last name and they are 16 and 17. she is the custodial parent of both. What, if any, docs will she need? Our fun pass docs say you must have a letter to debark in mexico.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Our friend will be traveling with us with her husband and 2 teen daughters. Her daughters are from her previous marriage so have a different last name and they are 16 and 17. she is the custodial parent of both. What, if any, docs will she need? Our fun pass docs say you must have a letter to debark in mexico.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

My sister and her 2 daughters, 14 & 17, joined us on a cruise last October going to Cozumel and Progresso. All 3 of them have different last names due to divorce and remarriage and such. My sister has custodial custody as well and was never asked for any kind of documentation concerning this. Not for embarkation nor at either port of call. She had a letter just in case, but never had to show it. Having said that, I would recommend she get a letter as there are always exceptions to every rule and circumstance.

If they're stopping in Mexico, that letter is required for minors traveling with only one parent. That being said, they don't typically ask for it if you're cruising, but it's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

I would rather be safe than sorry. The custodial parent should take the court orders showing her custody, her divorce papers showing her previous last name that matches the daughters, and her new marriage certificate, as well as passports and identification. I would have all of these not so much for the cruise line or the port of entry but in the event of an emergency and needing to get medical treatment for the teens. I carry all such papers and fold them up and place them in one of those plastic accordian files that you might use for canceled checks and other documents.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

My daughter has a different last name, and we never have a problem. I am assuming that her daughters are her biological children? however, her real father is not in the picture at all.

if NOT, then you will need a letter from the father stating that he gives you perission to take the kids out of the country.

It may be safe to do that anyway.

You could also take their birth certificates showing that she is the mother.

Archived