New RCCL Price Drop Policy

I didn't see anyone say they wouldn't sail RCCL anymore, just possibly postpone booking. RCCL is the only line still giving drops beyond final payment so if they defect there aren't any places to go. :rolleyes:

Which posters said they wouldn't sail Royal Caribbean anymore if this change was implemented? Impatient about what? People were discussing the possibility of a change in policy regarding price drops. Is there a reason people shouldn't discuss possible cruise line policy changes on Cruise Critic? What does that have to do with patience?

Did it ever occur to you that between the thread on CC and the many phone calls Royal received when people heard about the possible implementation of a new policy that somehow these so called impatient people might have had something to do with the policy NOT being implemented?

Colleen

Actually, THIS poster did:

Agreed! We may hold off booking until much later (if at all) if we cannot receive price drops.

So cut swsfrail some slack!

I would be very happy with an upgrade or OBC...if I was willing to book at the higher price I obviously thought that price was fair...sailing in JS on my next cruise due to great price reduction...and since I did not read all the posts I will stop there...

Actually, THIS poster did:

So cut swsfrail some slack!

sorry that wasn't even remotely a statement that they wouldn't book with RCCL again, I still stand by my statement

BTW, you know too much to be as new as your post count implies. I wonder who you were????:rolleyes:;)

Seems to me that would encourage people to wait until the last minute to book to try and get the best price. At least this way they now basically know how full the ship will be as of 60 to 70 days before sailing. :confused:

Exactly. If this is ture, then I will start booking my cruises with them at that last minute then.

I was on the phone with Royal Caribbean checking something and I asked about a price drop. She informed me that it's not official but come tomorrow they are supposed to roll out something where there is no more refunds if you catch a price drop. You will receive OBC so you have to spend it on the ship. Well that just burns my bisquits completely. They are trying to encourage upgrading she told me. Said if you see a price drop they want you to upgrade rather than get any money back. And it will not be as simple as calling in and requesting your new price. She said that was all she could say to me until it's official.

I actually totally get this from a business standpoint.

If you buy an item in a store , you have 14 days to claim the lower price if it goes on sale and get a refund for the difference( in CT anyways). Why should you have an unlimited amount of time to get a refund on a cruise? I imagine they are dropping prices in an attempt to fill a ship that has slow sales. When airlines drop prices, if you want to get the lower fare ( unless you are southwest) , you'll pay the change fee even if you are keeping the exact flight and seats ( i've been here with AA).:mad: WHy should cruiselines just honor the drop indefinitely and with a cash credit?

After eight cruises, and getting educated reading these CC boards for many months, i discovered that my next cruise/cabin class had a price drop, called RCCL and received an unbelievable refund. I was shocked to get the credit on my charge card as opposed to an OBC. I could never have used this $$ amount in OBC, but thought that if everyone booked on this particular cruise asked for the credit, the cruiseline couldn't be bringing in much profit.

While a large OBC credit might be an undesirable refund/credit option , maybe having a standing credit toward a future cruise might be a better solution.

sorry that wasn't even remotely a statement that they wouldn't book with RCCL again, I still stand by my statement

BTW, you know too much to be as new as your post count implies. I wonder who you were????:rolleyes:;)

BINGO!!!! I was thinking the exact same thing.

I would be very happy with an upgrade or OBC...if I was willing to book at the higher price I obviously thought that price was fair...sailing in JS on my next cruise due to great price reduction...and since I did not read all the posts I will stop there...

Totally agree and also sailing in a JS for a great price on my next cruise:)!

I doubt this policy will be "rolled out." Possibly for bookings already paid-in-full, but it would not be prudent for them to apply this to bookings with only a deposit. It would simply cause people to hold off on booking cruises until near/after final payment dates, and that would disrupt their cash flow at a time where they are cash hungry. Guess we will find out soon, but I'd be willing to bet this rumor does not play out. I am certainly not saying the OP made this up, but believe the person she spoke with was misinformed.

What would stop people from doing what I would do? Not paid in full?

Call TA, have them book new room at new price, cancel old room, change new ressie to old room number?

Yes, I would have to wait for refund of old ressie to apply to new room ressie, but I won't be stuck with a high OBC that I could not use.

Not everyone comes to Cruise Critic as a brand-new cruiser.

Some of us cruise for years and years, blissfully unaware of its existence, until someone mentions it on a cruise.

So here I am.....................

:)

What would stop people from doing what I would do? Not paid in full?

Call TA, have them book new room at new price, cancel old room, change new ressie to old room number?

Yes, I would have to wait for refund of old ressie to apply to new room ressie, but I won't be stuck with a high OBC that I could not use.

You *could* lose your cabin. Some people are very picky about their cabin selection.

Some of us cruise for years and years, blissfully unaware of its existence, until someone mentions it on a cruise.

That is very true, you just seem to know way more about the people/personalities on this board, like you have been around here for a long time. ;):D If you truly are new, welcome to the boards and if you were here...welcome back!!

That is very true, you just seem to know way more about the people/personalities on this board, like you have been around here for a long time. If you truly are new, welcome to the boards and if you were here...welcome back!!

Besides, I heard that Royal Caribbean is deciding whom to invite on the Pre-Inaugural cruises by post count on Cruise Critic!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

That is very true, you just seem to know way more about the people/personalities on this board, like you have been around here for a long time. ;):D If you truly are new, welcome to the boards and if you were here...welcome back!!

Sue,

I remember back in the dark days, March of 2009 to be exact, when many, many people were being sent to the naughty chair for just asking ????'s, some folks I knew came back with alter egos during their "off" time, lol! I didn't and served my sentence(s) dutifully only because I'm such a technophobe.

There have been an extraordinary amount of frequent posters who no longer do so......and an extraordinary amount of new posters since May/June 2009, even though the boards are slower than I have seen in a long time.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist...............................

JMO,

Colleen

That's (more or less) what happened to me. I had heard of cruise cruitic, but I though it was just a travel site - news and reviews directly from the cruise lines or travel industry professionals -- I looked at the headlines in the home page a couple of times and then forgot about it. It wasn't until 2008 during a cruise when one of our table mates, an active member of this board, mentioned it and explained what it was. I started looking in this message boards and got hooked. I lurked for a few months before I joined.

That's (more or less) what happened to me. I had heard of cruise cruitic, but I though it was just a travel site - news and reviews directly from the cruise lines or travel industry professionals -- I looked at the headlines in the home page a couple of times and then forgot about it. It wasn't until 2008 during a cruise when one of our table mates, an active member of this board, mentioned it and explained what it was. I started looking in this message boards and got hooked. I lurked for a few months before I joined.

Same here, but I just found it by searching for cruise reviews! I joined in 2004 because we loved cruising and learning about it more since we don't consider ourselves "know it all's", but we were cruising long before then. I used to be excited on these boards, but recently it's been placing a bad taste in my mouth regarding how some posters consistently make condescending remarks to one another.

Getting back to this thread, just received a price drop today and the rep. told me that it's going back on my VISA. Visa or OBC I really don't care since it's all been applied to my great cruise vacation anyway!

Because it is my money and I don't like people playing games with my money??

Really, are people just looking for something to complain about? Money's money, whether you have it now or at the end of the cruise. Think of it this way, if you spend $1000 on the ship and you have $1000 OBC, you have nothing to pay at the end of the cruise.....your on board purchases were prepaid.

Not really a big deal in my book, simply, opportunity cost.

Archived