Question about Cobb (Cobh) tours

itsanita

Thanks everyone. We have contacted three private tour companies. Two have offered a Kinsale and blarney castle trip. The third company said there is not enough time to do both. So I guess we'll have to make a decision.

I think part of the problem you are going to have is your late arrival time. By the time you disembark, Blarney Castle will have already been open for a couple hours. If you get stuck in a long line it really will use a big chunk of your day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks everyone. We have contacted three private tour companies. Two have offered a Kinsale and blarney castle trip. The third company said there is not enough time to do both. So I guess we'll have to make a decision.

I don't think you have mentioned which month and which day of week you will be in Cobh. It would have a major bearing on travel time between the places.

I don't think you have mentioned which month and which day of week you will be in Cobh. It would have a major bearing on travel time between the places.
Pretty sure this wasn't directed at me but since you appear to be from the area, thought I would answer anyway.

The cruise we're going to be on is the Brilliance OTS leaving Amsterdam Sep 1, 2018 and eventually ending up in Tampa, Florida. We will be stopping in Cobh on Thursday, Sep 6 from 9:00am to 6:00pm.

I'm the one NOT interested in a tour. I would just like to know how we can get from the ship in Cobh to Kinsale and back. A previous poster mentioned Hailo which I appreciate and will check into but any additional information you (or anyone) could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tim

Edited by cruisin4kicks

Pretty sure this wasn't directed at me but since you appear to be from the area, thought I would answer anyway.

The cruise we're going to be on is the Brilliance OTS leaving Amsterdam Sep 1, 2018 and eventually ending up in Tampa, Florida. We will be stopping in Cobh on Thursday, Sep 6 from 9:00am to 6:00pm.

I'm the one NOT interested in a tour. I would just like to know how we can get from the ship in Cobh to Kinsale and back. A previous poster mentioned Hailo which I appreciate and will check into but any additional information you (or anyone) could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tim

Train and Bus is possible, but not recommended as you would only have two hours in Kinsale..(mostly because of your late arrival).

At the bottom are links to timetables for trains and bus, but lets have a look at the connections.

You arrive 10 am - the next train from Cobh to Cork is 10.30. You would need to be one of the first off the ship to get this train. Next scheduled train is 11.30. (sometimes extra trains are put on when ships are in port). If you get the 10.30 train to Cork, the next available Bus from the train station to Kinsale is 11.50 which arrives in Kinsale at 12.53.

That is 1 pm in anyone's language and you need to get the bus from Kinsale at 3 pm for your return (Depart Kinsale 3.00pm) arr Cork station 4.10 pm. Next train to Cobh leaves at 4.30 pm and arrives in Cobh at 5 pm. (If you wait until the 4 pm bus from Kinsale then you will not be back in Cobh until 6pm!)

Costs: Day return on train is €9.90 and on bus is €16.50, so a total of €26.40 each.

Links:

Cork/Cobh train timetable http://www.irishrail.ie/media/13_mallow_cobh_midleton_valid_from_20.11.2016.pdf

Cork/Kinsale bus timetimetable http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1474644447-226.pdf

Cork/Cobh train fares: http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/cork-cobh-midleton

Cork/Kinsale bus fares: http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=415&form-fare-finder-service=226&form-fare-finder-from=Kent+Station+Cork&form-fare-finder-to=Kinsale+%28Pier+Road+Amenity+Area%29&form-fare-finder-ticket=&form-fare-finder-submit-button=Find+Fare&form-fare-finder-submit=1

Here is a link to a local taxi company that has an estimator and is well known in Cork.

Perhaps an option would be to get a quote from them - including waiting time - and split it with a couple of others from your roll call?

http://corktaxi.ie/fare-estimator/