1/2 day tour in Athens

Atalayabeachwalker

We were very disappointed to think we would not have time to see Athens! But, after checking our flights, we are on 2:20 flight out of Athens. I have made arrangements for a private tour 7:30 to airport by 12:15. Price is 330 in euros with professional guide. That is per car, not per person. So we would love two more to join us! Any interest?

First find your roll call. That will let other people that are on your cruise, and have a clue as to the dates you're referring, consider your option.

Roll Calls are the best place for these type posts.

Enjoy your trip, we'll be in Athens in Oct, but did our own air and will be spending three days there pre cruise!

We were very disappointed to think we would not have time to see Athens! But, after checking our flights, we are on 2:20 flight out of Athens. I have made arrangements for a private tour 7:30 to airport by 12:15. Price is 330 in euros with professional guide. That is per car, not per person. So we would love two more to join us! Any interest?

Hi -

You might want to post this over on the roll call for our cruise, rather than on the main Oceania board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2377882

Lots of history to see! This is a good decision on your part. We have been to Athens before, but have also hired a car and driver for some sightseeing before we head to the airport for our 1:40 p.m. flight.

See you on board!

Joe

This entire thread is makes me very nervous:

• The Athens Airport is a solid hour from Piraeus at any time of day, a lot more if there is traffic,
  • One cannot count on the Ship being cleared before 9AM.
  • The Airline will want you on the Airport Security Line two hours before the scheduled hour of your flight.

There is absolutely no way that there would be time for anything but a "drive by" tour, and I certainly would not pay €330 for that. :mad:

When I first saw the title of this thread "Half Day Tour in Athens" I assumed you really had a half day.

You would if you were coming in to Athens the day before you board the ship or staying on for a day or two after... but as Jim says, not if you are flying out that day.

Have you considered staying at least one more day in Athens in order to have a tour, or to see the city? That is why we usually do at least two days pre- and post-cruise. But especially for a city like Athens, you need the time to see it. For me it would be worth paying the deviation fee in order to have real time in such a wonderful city.

A few years ago we had a fabulous "food tour" in Athens ...we couldn't have done that on the day we were leaving the ship AND going home.

Mura

I think the price is high and you won't really have as much time as you think. Instead of doing the 1/2 day tour, why don't you focus on one thing - like the Parthenon - and just go see that? Jim & Stan are right about the distance between Piraeus and the airport and how long it takes, however, the good news is that with a short detour, you can visit the Parthenon and continue on to the airport without losing too much time. I think the best option is to spend an extra day or two in Athens but if that is not possible, focusing on one sight is better than nothing. You may want to check into a taxi/car service that will take you there and wait rather than a tour with a guide. The walk up to the Parthenon takes about 15 minutes if you are in good health and give yourself about a 1/2 hour to hour at the top and then walk back down again and you could be done in 1 1/2 hours. If you leave the ship around 8:30-9:00, that should get you to the Parthenon around 9:30-10:00 and finish around 11:30, getting you to the airport around noon, roughly 2 hours prior to the flight. Prior to setting this up, check with the tour sight and make sure it is open - you are touring earlier in the day and you need to make sure things are open - the shops on the Plaka may be closed.