Changing airlines and terminals at Seatac question

bluedevil72

We are planning a southbound cruise in the summer of 2017. We have a SWA credit card so we use points to fly with them. Our plan is to fly on SWA to Seatac and then change to Alaskan or whoever to fly to Anchorage.

I've looked at the terminal map of Seatac and it looks like those two airlines are in different terminals and quite a ways fron each other. We don't fly a lot and have never changed planes form one airline to another. How long will it take us and what type of transportation is used to go from one terminal to another? We fly out of DFW occasionally and they use trams to get from one terminal to another.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SeaTac is one large terminal. I believe the satellite terminal is mostly for Alaska/Horizon commuter jets.

However, if your arrival to Seatac is on Southwest, you will need to leave the secure area, claim your bags, and recheck in with the other airline, and go through security again.

Seatac has four "main" terminals (A, B, C, D) and two "satellite" terminals (S and N). They're all interconnected inside security. This map should help make it clearer: https://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Maps-and-Directions/PublishingImages/TerminalOverview.jpg

If you're transferring from Southwest to Alaska, I'd be surprised if you could check your bags all the way through when you begin your journey - Southwest reportedly does not do interline baggage (based on what I read at http://www.frugalhack.me/2015/03/27/interlining-baggage-rules-what-they-are-and-how-to-use-them/) so you'd likely have to exit the secure area anyway to grab bags and check them with Alaska.

The satellite terminals are served by underground trains (blue loop and green loop as shown in the map). They're inside the secure line, but I can't remember how easy it is to arrive back in the Central Terminal from S or N yet remain inside security. I'd definitely keep my eyes peeled if part of your group wanted to stay inside security for the transfer. Might almost be easier if you got off the train at B or C instead of Central, if you wanted to stay in.

There is a decent food court in the very center of the terminal with a great view of the airport.

A and D gates can be a bit of a hike. There are moving sidewalks to help, but they're out there.

The orange station connector train makes it possible to get from S to N or S to C pretty easily staying on the sterile side of security. The biggest hassle factor seems to be Southwest's inability to route bags to Alaska for final destination so you have to leave the sterile area. Since it is next summer it might be worth getting a TSA PreCheck Known Traveler Number (KTN) to speed security or even spring for the more widely usable Global Entry if international travel is anticipated (other than just Canada). Last time I used PreCheck at Seattle going through security took less than a minute.

Alaska's luggage check process is very smooth and you can pre-print luggage tags at home to have them ready - they provide plastic sleeves at the airport to put them in and attach them. Enjoy the differences on Alaska from the Southwest experience.

Edited by Sequim88

Since it is next summer it might be worth getting a TSA PreCheck Known Traveler Number (KTN) to speed security or even spring for the more widely usable Global Entry if international travel is anticipated (other than just Canada). Last time I used PreCheck at Seattle going through security took less than a minute.

The last time we flew out of Sea-Tac (March) we were stuck in the security line over an hour & a half and missed our flight - along with countless people around us. We got TSA PreCheck for the whole family when we got home from that trip. $85 for 5 years, and worth every penny! I've had 4 flights since then and breezed through security in each airport.

By flying on Southwest you will have to leave the secure area to claim your bags, go up to the ticketing/departure level and re-check your bags, go through (lengthy) security and go to the gate for your connecting flight. This is because Southwest refuses to check baggage through to other airlines; they don't have any "interline agreements." The only way to get around this using Southwest is to bring carry-on bags only.