Single Parent Travel Documentation Question

cruise_gal21

Yeah I hear you. I didn't mean to alarm you or be difficult. I was just surprised this happened since it didn't happen on cruise lines that originated from US or Canada previously. To be clear, I've taken DCL cruises in the past but this was NCL (my first). I can't tell whether this varies by cruise line or port. I do know the one time it happened and I didn't have a letter I was able to talk around it. This time, I was expecting it for the flights but I didn't have it out for the cruise at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I have sole custody after having to go to court just to get her passport. I asked for 2 years and even cancelled a cruise because he wouldn't sign. (Yes, I know you don't need a passport to cruise a closed loop.) I've only cruised Carnival with her and they didn't ask. I took it to Paris with us, they didn't ask. I'll keep bringing it because a woman in my travel group was denied going into Belize because she didn't have one. She had to call her husband just so they could get in.

Everyone can say they haven't been asked, but it takes that ONE time and your whole vacation is ruined.

I have sole custody after having to go to court just to get her passport. I asked for 2 years and even cancelled a cruise because he wouldn't sign. (Yes, I know you don't need a passport to cruise a closed loop.) I've only cruised Carnival with her and they didn't ask. I took it to Paris with us, they didn't ask. I'll keep bringing it because a woman in my travel group was denied going into Belize because she didn't have one. She had to call her husband just so they could get in.

Everyone can say they haven't been asked, but it takes that ONE time and your whole vacation is ruined.

That is precisely true! My daughter has been asked, and then other times, not asked. Her Ex gives her a hard time EVERY time--just to make things difficult for her. Make sure you have documentation just in case that one time they do ask for it.

I have cruised 5 times with my kids as a single Dad, including Caribbean cruises and two European cruises. Different embarkation points in Europe each time. I have not ever been asked by European border officials, or other countries for that matter, for a travel letter.

However, we routinely fly to Canada and I have been asked for a travel letter every single time by Canadian customs officials. This only changed very recently, where the airport we now fly into has an automated clearing process and they spend much less time with you. Per Canadian Customs and Immigration website, they do require a travel letter. If you are stopping in Canada, having a travel letter will certainly make your life easier but bringing other documentation likely gets around the issue.

On 1 or 2 occasions (out of dozens) US Customs has asked me for a travel letter returning from Canada. But the request seems perfunctory and I'm not sure they would have pressed the issue. US Customs is not really the issue as they wont refuse US citizens re- entry into the country at that point.