Best means of transportation from cruise ship and Best Beach recommendation

tigers2425

Looking for best transportation (and cost for it) from cruise ship to your recommendation of best beach for the day while on a cruise? Please advise. Thank you.

We are headed there in June 2017.

Tigers2425

Lori

Looking for best transportation (and cost for it) from cruise ship to your recommendation of best beach for the day while on a cruise? Please advise. Thank you.

Tigers2425

Lori

I used the local bus transportation to Jolly Beach, it was under $2.00 one way.

Thank you😊 I'll take a look at that and see how to locate bus station etc.

Thanks again.

Tigers2425

Once I was off the ship I asked a vendor where the bus station was. He pointed out the street that I needed to turn right on, just stay on that for a short distance, the bus station will be on your right. I asked others along the way just to make sure the first guy gave me the correct directions. When you get to the station ask which bus you need, then tell the driver where you want to go. Once there ask him where the return pickup area is, they are near each other. Also ask the driver how to get to the beach. It is a half mile or so. You will need to go through a hotel security post, I just asked him how to get to Jolly Beach. He told me where to go then opened a barrier to let me on the property. The sand is white & the water is auua, very beautiful. I rented a lounger & hungout. When I decided to leave I walked back out through the security guard. As luck happened there was a bus parked there so I boarded & off we went. I would definitely do this again.

Once I was off the ship I asked a vendor where the bus station was. He pointed out the street that I needed to turn right on, just stay on that for a short distance, the bus station will be on your right. I asked others along the way just to make sure the first guy gave me the correct directions. When you get to the station ask which bus you need, then tell the driver where you want to go. Once there ask him where the return pickup area is, they are near each other. Also ask the driver how to get to the beach. It is a half mile or so. You will need to go through a hotel security post, I just asked him how to get to Jolly Beach. He told me where to go then opened a barrier to let me on the property. The sand is white & the water is auua, very beautiful. I rented a lounger & hungout. When I decided to leave I walked back out through the security guard. As luck happened there was a bus parked there so I boarded & off we went. I would definitely do this again.

Thank you again. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Tigers2425

Me and my wife took the bus to darkwood beach it was 1.50 per person each way. The beach was gorgeous and not crowded. Rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for 15$. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the information. I sincerely appreciate it.

Tigers2425

Lori

Me and my wife took the bus to darkwood beach it was 1.50 per person each way. The beach was gorgeous and not crowded. Rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for 15$. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Is there a restaurant/bar darkwood beack?

• 3 weeks later...

Tigers2425

Lori

Do you wish for shabby chic ambience?

Do you wish to take Lunch and Drinks?

Do you wish to be away from the Cruise Herds?

If the answer is yes to all, then Jacqui O's or Cecelia's

For all of the above, but with all inclusive, then Curtain Bluff.

OP, if cost is a concern(as you mentioned in your 1st post), I would ignore the recommendation of Jackie O's. Overpriced food in what is otherwise a typical island-style decor/ambience.

Read some of the reviews for Jackie O's on TripAdvisor for more detail.

Darkwood and Turner's are nice beaches and neither are very crowded. Some other nice beaches are: Ffryes and Valley Church.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can someone give more info on Curtain Bluff? Can you bus to it? What do they have there? Cost? etc...

http://curtainbluff.com/

We only take a taxi - About $30.00 per cab plus tip each way - Think the all inclusive was only $120.00 per person.

Worth every dollar - No Cruise Herds.

Contact CB direct for all additional questions.

Ask to book a deluxe hammock, strung between two palm trees.

• 2 weeks later...

Were their ample facilities? Places to get drinks, etc. at Darkwood Beach?

• 2 weeks later...

Tigers2425

Lori

I'm curious about what you did?

I just did a ton of research and think we will head to Darkwood Beach, maybe grab an island cab and do a quick tour around first.

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken the bus with no troubles to Valley church beach but that place is very popular now.

Directionsto Valley Church Beach, Antigua

The bus depot is on Market Street acrossfrom the public market just past the fork in the road you'll bear right. You'llwant bus #22. Just tell the driver where you want to go and ask him to let youknow when you arrive. The bus will drop you off across the street from theentrance to the beach. You will see a sign for the Nest Beach Bar. You'll walkalong a dirt road to the beach. When returning to the ship you'll wait on thebeach side of the road opposite of where you were dropped off. If you need anyother information let me know

The Market Street bus stop is the West BusStop and the one straight ahead is the East Bus Stop. Valley beach is to theWest?

Yes, the #22 bus located at the West BusStation on Market Street will take you to Jolly Beach, Valley Church Beach,Darkwood Beach, Turner's Beach and eventually end at Carlisle Bay Beach. Inthat order. It runs along Valley Road. Buy a bag of chips before I catch the bus.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...