So, when's the next round of cancelations?

cltdad

If the track holds up, looks like a direct or almost direct hit on Port Canaveral and Castaway as of now. So, next non-cancelled sailings are the Dream on the 15th and the Fantasy on the 16th. When do we think the next round of cancelations will be? I know there is no past precedent for a storm like this but with people traveling from all over they need to make a call soon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

The weather forecasts that I watched tonight were not significantly different from last night--basically saying that Irma is on track to hit south Florida on Sunday and it is uncertain from there whether it will proceed up the coast toward PC or into the gulf. They did say that many on the east coast were preparing for the worst.

To the best of my memory, this is the earliest DCL has ever canceled cruises. I think they will wait at least till early next week to see what happens.

Castaway Cay has been wiped out by storms several times. While that had affected the ship ability to dock there, it has not caused cruises to be canceled. If PC is closed or damaged, the repairs will be a swift as possible--the Port Authority is losing a lot of money if the port is non-functional.

In any event, I would not expect any more word from DCL until next week. As to the people who have booked the next round of cruises, that is the purpose of travel insurance. If I were planing to come down the week before the cruise for a trip to WDW, I'd be seriously rethinking that. If I were coming down on the 15th for a cruise on the 16th, I'd be stewing and worrying about it, but it is much too soon to make any reasonable decision. And between the private travel insurance I would have purchased and whatever concessions DCL might offer based on what their decisions are, I'd be OK.

If the track holds up, looks like a direct or almost direct hit on Port Canaveral and Castaway as of now. So, next non-cancelled sailings are the Dream on the 15th and the Fantasy on the 16th. When do we think the next round of cancelations will be? I know there is no past precedent for a storm like this but with people traveling from all over they need to make a call soon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

In reality the current cancellations were announced earlier than DCL typically makes such announcements. They typically wait until much closer to the date.

There is past precedent. This storm itself is without precedent, but its difference in impact is just a matter of scale, so past storms inform how this storm will be handled.

A few things we know for sure, from watching how cruise lines have handled storms for decades and from watching how they've handled these recent storms: Their decisions will be timed in accordance with the level of confidence of information related to the ability to disembark the current voyage and restock and embark the next voyage. That we passengers would like to know earlier than that, to help us manage our own getting-to-the-port travel plans better, isn't reflected in the timing of these decisions.

The potential path of the storm is still quite wide as it reaches Florida. That wideness isn't a measure of the storms strength or size but rather the wider the cone is the less we know about which way the storm is going to go. It is leaning to the east right now, but could still end up going west. Only time will tell.

Castaway Cay has been wiped out by storms several times. While that had affected the ship ability to dock there' date=' it has not caused cruises to be canceled.[/quote']And even cruises aimed at the islands that were just utterly devastated by the storm will almost surely not be canceled due to that fact. The inability to make a port-of-call simply will result in rerouting of the ship. We've already seen a lot of Eastern Caribbean cruises this week turned into Western Caribbean cruises.

Castaway Cay has been wiped out by storms several times. While that had affected the ship ability to dock there' date=' it has not caused cruises to be canceled. If PC is closed or damaged, the repairs will be a swift as possible--the Port Authority is losing a lot of money if the port is non-functional.[/quote']

Let us all hope Irma weakens greatly as soon as possible. Should she whack Castaway Cay significantly, and CC must be closed, where might DCL send her ships as an alternate to CC? What if Port Canaveral gets beat up? Where would DCL dock until PC repairs are completed?

Should she whack Castaway Cay significantly, and CC must be closed, where might DCL send her ships as an alternate to CC?

They may just add another Sea Day, especially if that itinerary already has a Nassau port-of-call.

They may just add another Sea Day, especially if that itinerary already has a Nassau port-of-call.

Let's hope there is a better plan. We have a cruise on the Magic booked for November. NYC departure, with stops at CC and PC. If they add a sea day or two, that will make it a 6-sea day cruise!:eek::((n)

And even cruises aimed at the islands that were just utterly devastated by the storm will almost surely not be canceled due to that fact. The inability to make a port-of-call simply will result in rerouting of the ship. We've already seen a lot of Eastern Caribbean cruises this week turned into Western Caribbean cruises.

We're booked for the 10/7 Eastern and I am already assuming our itinerary will change. That's okay. I'd rather be inconvenienced and pray that the islands that were just devastated have a chance to begin recovery.

I'm curious, for those in the know, if Disney had to alter itineraries for the next few weeks, it would seem easy to say they would switch to just a western Caribbean. But then I can't see the ports being able to handle all the cruise lines switching to a western. Is it feasible to do any part of a southern Caribbean out of PC, or is that too far for a 7-day cruise?

I'm curious, for those in the know, if Disney had to alter itineraries for the next few weeks, it would seem easy to say they would switch to just a western Caribbean. But then I can't see the ports being able to handle all the cruise lines switching to a western. Is it feasible to do any part of a southern Caribbean out of PC, or is that too far for a 7-day cruise?

After next Tuesday it'll be past Florida and there will be no need to reroute.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm curious, for those in the know, if Disney had to alter itineraries for the next few weeks, it would seem easy to say they would switch to just a western Caribbean. But then I can't see the ports being able to handle all the cruise lines switching to a western.
I am expecting Western ports-of-call to be a lot more crowded this fall. My spouse was saying how there was limited dock space, but of course there is practically unlimited places to anchor and run tenders. My spouse also was saying that the sightseeing excursions have limited capacity, but of course in a situation like this I wouldn't be surprised if such limits were stretched a good bit, and if people who otherwise would not be working (and may not even be that good at it) would run additional excursions. And there's always room for another couple of bodies to squeeze onto the crowded beach. :(

After next Tuesday it'll be past Florida and there will be no need to reroute.
I'm sure the previous poster's intent was that the reroute would be needed due to how many of the Eastern ports-of-call may be unfit for a port call.

I am expecting Western ports-of-call to be a lot more crowded this fall. My spouse was saying how there was limited dock space, but of course there is practically unlimited places to anchor and run tenders. My spouse also was saying that the sightseeing excursions have limited capacity, but of course in a situation like this I wouldn't be surprised if such limits were stretched a good bit, and if people who otherwise would not be working (and may not even be that good at it) would run additional excursions. And there's always room for another couple of bodies to squeeze onto the crowded beach. :(

I'm sure the previous poster's intent was that the reroute would be needed due to how many of the Eastern ports-of-call may be unfit for a port call.

Oh I see. My mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is from the DCL website under the Tropical Weather Update:

Future Bahamian and Eastern Caribbean Sailings

At this time, there are no changes to other sailings on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy. However, we continue to closely monitor Hurricane Irma and assess its impact on the ports of call we visit in the Caribbean and Bahamas. Updates regarding any necessary itinerary changes will be posted beginning September 12.

While we always strive to deliver magical cruise vacations, nothing is more important to us than providing a safe experience for our guests and crew. We will continue to closely monitor the weather and provide updates as necessary.

This is from the DCL website under the Tropical Weather Update:

Future Bahamian and Eastern Caribbean Sailings

At this time, there are no changes to other sailings on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy. However, we continue to closely monitor Hurricane Irma and assess its impact on the ports of call we visit in the Caribbean and Bahamas. Updates regarding any necessary itinerary changes will be posted beginning September 12.

While we always strive to deliver magical cruise vacations, nothing is more important to us than providing a safe experience for our guests and crew. We will continue to closely monitor the weather and provide updates as necessary.

This is standard DCL. However, if you've seen pictures of St. Maarten and St. Thomas on line, you can be reasonably certain that the islands won't be able to accept "guests" for some time. Since tourism is their main income source, they'll get things back together as soon as they can.