Cruises to the Caribbean

Zombatar

Just thought I would see what everyone thinks about some of the UK cruise lines attitude towards upcoming cruises to the Caribbean after the latest hurricane incident.

US cruise lines such as Carnival and RCI have openly posted that some cruises are to be cancelled whilst others have had or will have itinerary changes.

This appears not to be the case with some of the UK based cruise lines. Arcadia sails for the Caribbean on 7th October. It is scheduled to arrive at St, Marten on 17th October. Given the amount of damage that there is on that island I doubt very much if the ship will be going there. Okay that's the way it goes and it would be fair to assume that there will be change to the itinerary. What I find disturbing is that you can still book this cruise and nowhere on the P&O web site is there any indication that an itinerary change is likely. The same is true of Thomson cruises but I do have to say that Fred Olsen cruises have a warning on the Caribbean section of their website explaining the situation as it is at this time.

What does anyone else think?

Peter

I think it is too early for cruise lines to make any definitive statements until the full extent of the damage is clear.

Obviously, as you say, some ports will out of the itineraries for some time, perhaps for all season, so new ports will be needed to replace them.

The problem there is that there will be many ships chasing fewer ports so probably there will be more sea days on the itineraries.

It is a tragic time for the Caribbean, and the hurricane season is far from finished.

Thank you, but it was so far down the page I didn't look down there!

Peter

It clearly states on the booking page for this cruise that itinerary changes are possible and will be advised as soon as they know them. I don't really see what else they could do, if you really were interested in booking, or had already booked, then its up to you to read all the data not to get bored halfway through.

We are already booked to travel to the Caribbean on Arcadia leaving Southampton on 7th October. Following the first stop in the Azores we are scheduled to visit St. Marten, which as we know has been hit badly by Irma. I contacted P & O directly over a week ago and was told that it is possible we will have a change to the itinerary or maybe an overnight at one of the other ports. If you are due to travel with P & O and have any worries call the customer service team, you won't be the first and without a doubt you won't be the last. I think the website information just about covers all that we can expect at this stage and we are happy to know that what ever happens we will have a great cruise. It will be disappointing if we don't get to see all the islands we had hoped for, but when I booked I knew I was booking at the end of the hurricane season. My disappointment will be nothing compared to the despair of those who have lost pretty much everything.

We are booked on the Adonia to the caribbean and have received an email stating that there may be changes to our itinerary and that they will update us as soon as the situation becomes clear which seemed to me to be the only thing that they could do at this stage. Whilst we are still keen to go on our cruise the priority must be the poor people of those islands affected. I do hope they get all the help they need to recover as soon as they can.

This might seem a radical way of thinking but the beaches are probably going to be affected to a much lesser extent. Beach days will likely be a good option. When you go into town it might all look a bit different in the everything is damaged sense. I should look to spend as much money as you can and not haggle about the taxi fare. The locals will remember that P&O is essentially British.

Regards John

While I can see your point John I don't think P&O will go to any of the islands that has no infrastructure even if the beaches are accessible. The company has to know that the island is safe for passengers, all passengers, not just those who are willing to lie on a beach all day. If everyone who is going or has been to one of the Caribbean islands donates money to the fund I'm sure that will help. Hopefully whatever the outcome is over which islands are put on the re-scheduled itineraries, no passengers will complain and start demanding compensation.

While I can see your point John I don't think P&O will go to any of the islands that has no infrastructure even if the beaches are accessible. The company has to know that the island is safe for passengers, all passengers, not just those who are willing to lie on a beach all day. If everyone who is going or has been to one of the Caribbean islands donates money to the fund I'm sure that will help. Hopefully whatever the outcome is over which islands are put on the re-scheduled itineraries, no passengers will complain and start demanding compensation.

I agree that P&O will rightly err on the side of caution where safety is concerned. The wording on the update page has altered in the last couple of days to say there will have to be some ports replaced and that they will let affected passenger know which next week. We are on the Azura TA on Oct 20th and have St Maarten and Dominica on our itinerary which I'm certain will not be ready to receive cruise passengers. Just hope we get replacement ports and not extra sea days but we have accept whatever happens and that is nothing compared to the plight of the poor residents of these islands.

The level of destruction will vary enormously at the different islands. P&O will certainly cancel any ports where stopping and running excursions is simply not viable and in the short term will not stop there. I think almost every Caribbean island will have some damage and to what extent each island has problems and what they are will be reviewed very closely I think. Then the cruise line will look at necessary diversions.

Regards John

The level of destruction will vary enormously at the different islands. P&O will certainly cancel any ports where stopping and running excursions is simply not viable and in the short term will not stop there. I think almost every Caribbean island will have some damage and to what extent each island has problems and what they are will be reviewed very closely I think. Then the cruise line will look at necessary diversions.

Regards John

I think the problem P&O will have is that the other (US) cruiselines that were already operating cruises out there have already done that and P&O may find some of the alternative ports are full.

I think the problem P&O will have is that the other (US) cruiselines that were already operating cruises out there have already done that and P&O may find some of the alternative ports are full.

Certainly the cruise lines currently operating itineraries in and around the Caribbean have needed to find alternative ports very urgently. Those same US lines also start their winter Caribbean programmes over the next few weeks, so again they need to be acting quickly.

However P&O only have a small number of Caribbean cruises until Britannia and Azura start their winter programmes in November, so the urgency for them is less. But I doubt that this will have any issues for them in finding alternatives for any Islands that have to be dropped. They are part of Carnival and, although the regular Caribbean itineraries will still have priority, it is not in Carnivals UK interests not to find adequate alternatives for the Southampton P&O round-trip itineraries..

Our immediate thoughts are with the people of the islands so badly affected and as much as my gut instinct is to say I want to visit Tortola, St Maarten and Dominica to support the economy I can't see it happening. From photos and videos we have seen, the infrastructure on these islands has been so badly affected that it neither makes it safe nor sensible to visit when they are barely habitable. IMO, the best way we can help at present is to donate to the charities such as the Red Cross or UNICEF via P&O which have specific projects / workers on the ground to enable these communities to get back on their feet as soon as possible.

I don't think P&O is in a position yet to make announcements about future itineraries. Hurricane Maria is just making her way through the Caribbean and potential replacements such as Turks and Caicos and Guadeloupe have been badly affected. I'm sure that P&O is working very hard behind the scenes to ensure all the cruises go ahead with changes to itineraries if necessary. Clearly, though, they don't want to advise passengers of a change, only to have to make further changes a few days later

Celebrity has a fairly intense schedule around the Caribbean unlike P&O.

I don't think that P&O should be rushed into making a decision and it is after all, a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation which has more than 100 ships across 10 brands and as such, they will taking directions from 'corporate HQ'.

I am not a betting man (and I am a great supporter of Celebrity) but I would not be surprised that having gone public with their revised ports of call, RCCL have to make further changes before the actual sailings - they could find they are putting ships into ports where the infrastructure will struggle to cope with multiple dockings in one day.

Perhaps with the benefit of not having a ship in the area for another two to three weeks, P&O wants to see how some of the alternative ports cope.

Perhaps with the benefit of not having a ship in the area for another two to three weeks, P&O wants to see how some of the alternative ports cope.

But, passengers leaving shortly need to know where they are going, Arcadia leaves for the Caribbean on Oct 7th.

Probably because the ports used by P&O in the Eastern Caribbean have been affected more and P&O want to use them if at all possible in a show of support?? The Western caribbean is so Americanised but the Eastern Caribbean is on the whole much more authentic.

Selfishly I hope they don't need to increase the number of tender ports, otherwise as my wife cannot pass the step over test we would be unable to go ashore.

Not that I am suggesting you would, but if this happens, you might have a good case for asking to transfer to an alternative itinerary. For someone like your wife who cannot use tenders, you would no doubt have researched the tender ports before booking. If P &O change the ports ...understandably....to such an extent that several require tenders then would this not constitute a major change...and allow you to reschedule your cruise? One would hope P &O would show a degree of compassion and understanding in such circumstances....even though in this instance the changes are rather out of their control...? Just a thought.

Not that I am suggesting you would, but if this happens, you might have a good case for asking to transfer to an alternative itinerary. For someone like your wife who cannot use tenders, you would no doubt have researched the tender ports before booking. If P &O change the ports ...understandably....to such an extent that several require tenders then would this not constitute a major change...and allow you to reschedule your cruise? One would hope P &O would show a degree of compassion and understanding in such circumstances....even though in this instance the changes are rather out of their control...? Just a thought.

I think if the ports are o/u then it's likely that the islands aren't going to be safe enough to visit. However I agree with Mm that in your circumstances P&O would allow a change if tenders were being used extensively - but let's hope not. I'm looking froward to learning why you can yourself terrier :D!!

Don't forget not only do P&O have to find acceptable, alternative ports that will accommodate them, they also have to find suitable tour excursions too. The American lines do tend to keep to the Western Caribbean ports and several of them can take quite a few ships whereas the Eastern Caribbean tends to have smaller islands with less docking areas. It must be a nightmare. I should think that P&O don't want to make too hurried decisions only to have to alter them once the passengers are on board. If I was sailing to the Caribbean this winter it wouldn't bother me if I didn't know which islands I was going to in advance. I would just be grateful that we were able to go and have a wonderful time no matter which islands we would be visiting. Some allowance has to be made. I would think that if people have a genuine problem with a new itinerary - like the couple who can't use tender ports - then P&O would look on their request to change favourably. Let's face it P&O don't want bad publicity out of this tragic event.

I agree they have to err in the side of caution. However, Royal Caribbean and many others have posted amended itineraries on their websites for many days. It's clear to anyone who does some basic research that St Maartin and Dominica are in a terrible state at the moment and it will take a long time for them to recover. The islanders are lacking even the basics in many cases and are a long way from being able to open up to tourists. They last thing they need is a bunch of moaning Europeans complaining about the lack of gluten free coconut water. As soon as the horrors of the hurricanes were known it was clear changes wouldhave to be made. So why are P and O still offering excursions for both these places even today? Does it not set unrealistic expectations for some? Those who maybe put hope over experience?