Many Desires, But Not Enough Time? Juneau Tours Help Needed

brendanspop

Tamsocal - thank you again. I'm feeling reassured that WE WILL be able to see all that we desire in time, though it may feel a bit rushed and stressful getting back to the port from Auke Bay. I am concerned that despite a port time of 12-9, there might be an earlier all aboard for passengers that I can't get a straight answer on from RCCL.

Tamsocal - thank you again. I'm feeling reassured that WE WILL be able to see all that we desire in time, though it may feel a bit rushed and stressful getting back to the port from Auke Bay. I am concerned that despite a port time of 12-9, there might be an earlier all aboard for passengers that I can't get a straight answer on from RCCL.

You are only on a 2 hour whale watch? Frankly this is a mistake in my opinion, since, time is essential. the typical trips are 3 hours and to consider a trip 1/3 less is significant. I've mentioned this on posts since it is often missed, same happens in Victoria.

IF it is closer to a 3 hour tour, It's going to be to tight of a time frame for you. I'd suggest being there is probably a large cost involved with the whale watch- you might want to give more priority to it. You probably would have no problem getting both stops in prior to an earlier schedule. I just do not give the Hatchery much importance. The museum/exhibits are maybe 30 minutes and the look at the ladder- 15 minutes[, none if no ifish.

The Sandbar is my top choice if you want some fantastic halibut. BUT, enter through the back otherwise, you'll have the dismal treck through the bar. It's not "pretty", but food is excellent.

what are all of your whale watch options that day?

what times and how long?

if the 3p whales are 3 hrs and you want 3 hrs you can make the day work too.

to do good comparison and get advice- note time on water

if you have booked a non refundable whale watch trip don't answer and we will just hope you see whales!!! :):)

you can definitely trim time down at hatchery if you aren't interested in a lot of details.

I agree a longer whale watch is nice but I would definitely not give up Mendenhall to do 3 hr whales.

salmon hatchery would need further info from you and your sons to decide my advice :)

we just did Alaska galore tours 2.5hrs whale watch with the toursaver coupon.

but what I found interesting and disappointing was apparently in Alaska the vessel is only allowed to stay on same whale /pod for 30min- and we found those whales fairly early on. so it was fantastic watching those whales but we had to leave and then we just saw a random whale here and there and then nothing since everything seemed to be at where we first stopped but we could not stay there......

so I was ready to come in--- I felt like the captain wasn't really trying hard since we had already seen some amazing whales at the beginning with bubble net feeding, breeching, tails, etc.

my SO is a captain and he would still be all over trying to find more whales or other wildlife, listening on the radio, calling buddys, etc

is there a law of 30min max time on same whale in Alaska?

Edited by tamsocal

We are getting 2 hours on the water with the whale watch with Juneau Tours. They are picking up at port at 4:30 and returning to port at 7:30 or so. However, since we are furnishing our own transportation, we are meeting them at Auke Bay for their 5 PM departure and 2 hours on the water. Husband and I did a whale watch in Alaska before. Figured 2 hours was about all the boys would have the appetite for after a full day of other activities. Not good enough? I will see if we can change.

Just didn't think with renting a car, trying to see Salmon Hatchery and Mendenhall, we'd be able to get to Auke Bay by 3 or 4 pm. That seemed like rushing to me.

We are getting 2 hours on the water with the whale watch with Juneau Tours. They are picking up at port at 4:30 and returning to port at 7:30 or so. However, since we are furnishing our own transportation, we are meeting them at Auke Bay for their 5 PM departure and 2 hours on the water. Husband and I did a whale watch in Alaska before. Figured 2 hours was about all the boys would have the appetite for after a full day of other activities. Not good enough? I will see if we can change.

Just didn't think with renting a car, trying to see Salmon Hatchery and Mendenhall, we'd be able to get to Auke Bay by 3 or 4 pm. That seemed like rushing to me.

I would drop the salmon hatchery. Will that give you more time for whale watching?

we just did Alaska galore tours 2.5hrs whale watch with the toursaver coupon.

but what I found interesting and disappointing was apparently in Alaska the vessel is only allowed to stay on same whale /pod for 30min- and we found those whales fairly early on. so it was fantastic watching those whales but we had to leave and then we just saw a random whale here and there and then nothing since everything seemed to be at where we first stopped but we could not stay there......

so I was ready to come in--- I felt like the captain wasn't really trying hard since we had already seen some amazing whales at the beginning with bubble net feeding, breeching, tails, etc.

my SO is a captain and he would still be all over trying to find more whales or other wildlife, listening on the radio, calling buddys, etc

is there a law of 30min max time on same whale in Alaska?

Absolutley there are time limits and strict distances of 100 yards in place. Your expectations are not reality. With your "extra" sightings at the begining , it was a gift and was just pure luck. You were extremely lucky to see. NORMAL ususal sightings are that "randorm trail", nothing more.

Cpts. have company restrictions also in place. I won't comment on those, but sightings are impacted,

I think your plan sounds completely reasonable and an enjoyable day.

If you find other whale trip options post times for people to weigh in but also completely reasonable to quit looking and plan for an outstanding time with whatever the day brings you!

I would keep the hatchery based on what you have posted about your desires and kids :)

I asked my kids to weigh in :): said they would not have wanted to skip the hatchery to look for whales longer even if they didn't see whales, and also said they would not have wanted to skip Mendenhall .

most fun for them that day:

Kid one- whales, hatchery, Mendenhall

Mendenhall -- in order of preference--hiking, nugget falls, visitor center/movie, junior ranger program

Kid two- Mendenhall, whales, hatchery

Mendenhall visitor center, nugget falls, hike east loop, junior ranger program

just know their input is based on whale watching about 40-50 days/annually (so that could sway the 2 hrs was fine answer LOL) and all three events in Juneau were repeat events for them in Juneau.

Have a great time no matter what you choose- I'll happily take short or long visit and keep smiling!