About Me

• Interests
    Travel, Travel Planning,Architecture & Interior Design
  • Favorite Cruise Line(s)
    Celebrity;RCL
  • Favorite Cruise Destination Or Port of Call
    Europe

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

kwokpot's Achievements

5,000+ Club

5,000+ Club (9/20)

1. Yes,I've been on two different MSC cruises,2 different ship designs,and going on my 3rd MSC cruise the end of the month. The ships are beautiful,more similar to Celebrity's S-Class ships regarding interior design. The Meraviglia Class is almost a carbon copy of Royal's Quantum Class in overall layout. I haven't sailed in Yacht Club but standard class is similar to Royal in overall cruise experience. Food is European style and is ok/good - similar to Royal or Carnival but not as good as Celebrity.
  2. Maybe not on this thread but there are countless other threads where people think it's a better version of a verandah cabin rather than a better version of an OCEANVIEW cabin.
  3. 100% agree. For the record I LOVE the IV cabin, for what it really is. The point of these continuous threads about this subject is to educate people about the realities of what the IV cabin is and isn't. I have no problems whether people like or dislike this type of cabin. My pet peeves are twofold;those that pass on erroneous information about these cabins, and those that seem to want to convince themselves of the marketing verbiage that an IV is somehow a BETTER version of a real veranda/balcony cabin;they are nothing alike and in no way shape or form similar. I laugh when people say IV cabins have less noise than traditional verandas;OBVIOUSLY since your always inside your room while on a real balcony/veranda you're standing outside on a platform that attached to the outside of the ship and literally can be interconnected by opening all the partitions.
  4. MSC calls it an Infinite Oceanview. https://youtu.be/wILbkyc9Ams?si=lwH-ilIqKOrvDA6a
  5. You can call to change your cabin to the bed configuration you want as long as it's the same category. You should call and have it changed!
  6. They could be confusing the term as the next cabin category up from INSIDE or INTERIOR, but as you stated there's no cruiseline that uses the term outside for an Oceanview or Window cabin category since it doesn't make any sense.
  7. I agree the marketing is deceptive. The bifold doors are nothing more than room dividers,to create the illusion of a separate space. They aren't airtight or waterproof,and they were never meant to be like traditional balcony sliding doors. Again, an IV cabin is an overview cabin except the window opens. You are never outside. For people who wonder what's it like next time you're in a traditional balcony cabin leave the balcony door open and SIT INSIDE in your cabin next to the open balcony door. That's about how it is in an IV cabin.
  8. That may be because the assistant waiters are not proactively asking whether you want coffee or tea after finishing your entrees (that seems quite common to offer dessert without inquiring about coffee or tea) but it's definitely not because it isn't being offered or there's an additional fees for it. That's patiently false information and you do a disservice to others my spreading misinformation that it's no longer offered or that there's an additional charges.
  9. To clarify, do you mean ISN'T ANY IGLU powder?
  10. No. The Elite+ benefit is solely for premium coffees and teas,no other beverages.
  11. Those are generically called hull balconies. Porthole verandas on E-Class ships are also considered hull balcony cabins even though they are higher up. They are what the name implies,a balcony that's behind and within the the hull of the ship. Traditional cruiseship balconies are attached to the outer hull of the ship,so you actually step out beyond the ship onto a metal balcony structure. The sliding balcony doors are in the hull, so you step out of the ship onto your outside balcony. Carnival's new Excel class ships have many of these at the waterline hull balcony cabins.
  12. Correct. There's a contact sensor on the left hand window track that's the control for the HVAC. It's not right at the top, maybe 5" more or less down from the very top of the window track,which is why you can lower the window several inches without triggering the HVAC switch. What people seem to forget is the IV cabin was never meant to be a real outdoor veranda, notwithstanding Celebrity marketing. It really is only a cabin with a window that opens. People want to devise all these 'fix' scenarios about making the bifold doors airtight, waterproofing the end of the cabin,etc. in order to achieve what they want. But that's all fantasy and just garbage talk because they fail to comprehend that the cabin is all an interior room with a window. All the 'fixes' people dream up doesn't make sense from an engineering perspective because it was never meant to be an outdoor cabin. If they Celebrity wanted to a balcony cabin, they would use regular balcony sliding doors. The 'solution' to the IV issue people are proposing would be akin to taking a traditional balcony cabin and putting a window along the balcony railing. Why would anyone do that? Look at what Royal Caribbean did on the Icon. Those IV cabins don't have bifold doors, they have curtains that's you can either close to create the illusion of a separate space or tie the curtains back to open up the space.
  13. Yes, that May be the case. The switch in the window may shut down the compressor or whatever type of cooling mechanism is used but the fan may be still on. It also could be the fan stays on for several minutes before shutting all the way down. That happens all the time in many HVAC systems. But I have to emphasize that there's no switch or mechanism in the bifold door tracks that 'trips' the HVAC. I specifically looked into that when I was on the Ascent in January in an IV cabin and every other E-Class ship. So what the mentioned video about the IV cabins on the Ascent is false. As I continue to remind people I was the first in to report this issue on Cruise Critic way back in December, 2018 on the Edge's second of two inaugural cruises.
  14. 100%WRONG and the video is lying. I have been on all ALL E-Class ships, INCLUDING the Ascent in january, and the IV cabins ALL operate the same way There's absolutely NOTHING within the bifold doors that control anything, they are purely cosmetic. What MAY be happening is residual airflow but you can be sure that the AC is SHUT OFF. I don't understand why people enjoy lying and making false claims. I go through this every time I'm on an E-class ship.