Ferry_Watcher

Members
About Me

• Favorite Cruise Line(s)
    Celebrity, Holland America & Princess

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Ferry_Watcher's Achievements

3,000+ Club

3,000+ Club (3/15)

• Excellent Advice! Rare
  • "Live from...." Rare

Recent Badges

1. Not sure what the 'speculation' is. The ship clearly went too far into an area that it it should have been more respectful of - as shown by the following: Aerial photos; Eyewitness accounts from fellow CCer's who were on the Edge; Incident occurred at a location that one would have to purposefully navigated to; Common sense would suggest that it is an environmentally sensitive area, and should have been treated as such. Current fallout: Hawaii State Gov't not happy Negative state/national press coverage Negative social media Cancelled Napali Coast visit on current cruise - passengers complaining about 'slick' excuses for the cancelled visit, and wanting OBC for missing the scheduled visit
  2. The Costa Concordia got into trouble because it went too close to the shore, entered shallow waters, hit a sandbar or underwater ledge and began listing. If you look at the Napali Coast photos of the Edge, it too is very close to the shore, and according to the aerial photos, was in shallow waters, enough so that it caused sand to be churned. “Some of the shots that were taken from the air actually showed the sand being disturbed at the bottom so all of these environmental impacts that it created was very upsetting to me,” said Wann The reason I find this story so interesting is that I will be on the Edge in less than 10 days, and I am also fortunate enough to visit Kauai for a couple of weeks each winter. There will be repercussions for this incident - certainly an environmental fine at the very least. It will be interesting to see if there will be a change in command on the ship once it arrives in Vancouver, BC.
  3. You were asked to shoes? I have never seen passengers asked to take off their shoes. Were you (or your traveling companion) wearing some sort of metal steeled toed work boots?
  4. Two words - Costa Concordia On 13 January 2012, the seven-year-old Costa Cruises vessel Costa Concordia was on the first leg of a cruise around the Mediterranean Sea when she deviated from her planned route at Isola del Giglio, Tuscany, sailed closer to the island, and struck a rock formation on the sea floor. This caused the ship to list and then to partially sink, landing unevenly on an underwater ledge
  5. @julia & @CruiserBruce are both correct. Nothing special for Vista or Signature Suites.
  6. Pretty sure there was coverage in the Welcoming Center. Probably beyond that as well.
  7. People who work at cruise ports are in the hospitality business - they want to make passengers happy. In a situation like this (left behind item of value), passengers should always feel that they can ask for help, and if the first staff person asked seems unsure, then ask for a supervisor. Generally, they will make every effort to try to find the lost/left behind item. The pier-side staff makes the request, and it is the ship's crew who the actual people looking, but everyone does their best. @VIFP1987, thanks for letting me know that you found this information helpful. ; )
  8. ISP is my favorite Alaskan port-of-call. Thanks for porting the video.
  9. @Glaciers & @psuboater, is it me, or does it seem that there are a lot fewer questions about sailing from Seattle this season?
  10. First let me say that I also think that this is a troll post, but let me explain what would happen if the OP really notified pier-side staff that an item of value was left behind in a stateroom. First, there is a pier-side staffer on the ship during the disembarkation. This person is usually by the podiums where passengers are being scanned off the ship. This pier-side staffer is the one relaying the passenger counts to the terminal managers. If the OP had approached a staffer in the luggage hall and said that a backpack had been left in a stateroom, he would have been directed to a supervisor who would have relayed that information to the pier-side staffer on the ship. That staffer in turn, would have told the one of the ship officers overseeing the disembarkation that they needed to retrieve / look for a backpack in stateroom #. This happens all the time with passports/ wallets accidently left behind in stateroom safes. Asking to look for an item (especially an item of value like a backpack) happens on every cruise day. Believe me, both the ship and the pier-side luggage team would prefer to find any missing or misplaced item before having to fill out paperwork. As to the OP later revising his tale by saying the maybe his backpack was in a spot not obvious to the room steward - all I can say is that 99% of the newly embarked passengers would, IMO, turn in an item like a backpack if they found it sitting in their closet. Most folks are decent people, and they would do the right thing.
  11. @marco2111, When you exit the terminal with your luggage, you will head towards the right-side of the U shaped drive area. On one side you will see the taxis lined up. On the far right-side of the driveway area you will see the large motorcoaches that are used as airport shuttles (you must pre-purchase a ticket). If you walk past the motorcoaches towards the end of the parking slots (R, S or T) you will find the Seattle Express pick-up area. The shuttles for the Uber/Lyft lot are also on the right-side of the U shaped driveway, and are located at parking slots A & B. (although it can be faster to walk the 7-10 minutes) There will be lots of pier-side staff to direct you. There will be lines for the airporters for the taxis. Just let staff know that you are looking for Seattle Express. If you need wheelchair assistance, you need to secure it while you are still in the luggage hall. , Wheelchair assistance is on a first come, first served basis. For disembarking passengers, you can request wheelchair assistance off the ship, and you are dropped off inside the luggage hall, and then the pier-side wheelchair team will then help you to whatever ground transportation you have. If you didn't use wheelchair assistance getting off the ship, but you feel that you still need it, then you can request assistance while you are still in the luggage hall. Also, you can ask one of the porters to help with your luggage (only porters can handle your luggage, not pier-side staff).
  12. We did this tour last Fall '23. Highly recommend it. Don't worry, the tour will fill up!
  13. From baggage claim to the light rail station is about a 1/4 walk thru the 4th floor of the parking garage. I agree with @psuboater, and recommend taking an Uber to your hotel.
  14. The walking pace seems optimistic from the Mediterranean Inn, but you would know your pace. @Glaciers - thoughts? Also, FYI, terminal doors are not scheduled to open until 9;45. If there are any delays it could be closer to 10 AM. Passengers will still be disembarking until at least 9;30 AM. If you plan to arrive early, just be prepared to stand in line.
  15. We were in Icy Strait Point last May '23. While walking along the boardwalk above the beach we noticed a young guy who was in swim trunks ready to run into the water. People stopped to watch to see what he was doing, and after a minute or two he ran into the water - not far (as it was quite cold - but he did drop his body into the water, then jumped back out. A couple minutes later we saw that he was back in the water, squatting down, looking in the water. Standing on the shore behind him was a young woman (wife, GF?). Apparently, when he ran into the water, a ring (a wedding ring?) slipped off his finger and he was squatting down trying to find it. The poor guy was still in the water looking around when we finished our walk. I don't know if he ever found it.