Driving time from Orlando Int Airport to Fort Lauderdale Cruise Area

texmex.ferr

Hi,

Can anyone give a general guidance of how long it would take to drive from Orlando International Airport to the Fort Lauderdale area cruise port (Port Everglades). Would we have to stay somewhere in between, if so where are the recommendations.

Air fares from UK to Orlando seem cheaper than they are to Miami, so this is info for future cruise planning.

Thanks for any help on this matter

Texmex.ferr

Hi,

Can anyone give a general guidance of how long it would take to drive from Orlando International Airport to the Fort Lauderdale area cruise port (Port Everglades). Would we have to stay somewhere in between, if so where are the recommendations.

Air fares from UK to Orlando seem cheaper than they are to Miami, so this is info for future cruise planning.

Thanks for any help on this matter

Texmex.ferr

3+ to 3.5 hours, mostly on a well maintained toll road. You could have an early breakfast at your hotel near MCO and be on the ship for lunch -- we've done that! :D

3 to 3.5 hrs is realistic . You being from Scotland I would guess probably 4 to 4.5 hrs depending on your comfort level with American super highways and left hand drive vehicles.:cool:

Florida Turnpike south from Orlando area to the Fort Pierce exit followed by a straight run south on Interstate 95. The entire trip is approximately 225 miles and usually takes between 3 and 3 1/2 hours. If I were you I would travel down to South Florida at least one day prior to your cruise. Spend the night near the port at one of the hotels and you will be ready for your cruise awake and refreshed. I wouldn't attempt to travel on the day of departure from Orlando. If there are any problems you may miss the sailaway. Many posters have favorite hotels in the Fort Lauderdale and Miami areas.

Thanks for the replies, not knowing the area, we weren't sure how long the drive would take. I was looking at flights from Scotland to Miami for later this year/early next, and then decided to check out prices to/from Orlando, and they were about half the price to Orlando.

Obviously we'd need to cost in the hire car etc and we would fly in at least a day before if not more.

Thanks again for the info, very much appreciated.

Texmex.ferr

Thanks for the replies, not knowing the area, we weren't sure how long the drive would take. I was looking at flights from Scotland to Miami for later this year/early next, and then decided to check out prices to/from Orlando, and they were about half the price to Orlando.

Obviously we'd need to cost in the hire car etc and we would fly in at least a day before if not more.

Thanks again for the info, very much appreciated.

Texmex.ferr

OP, we're doing this on Friday. I'll try to post back how long it takes us, but I'm budgeting 3 1/2 hours.

OP, we're doing this on Friday. I'll try to post back how long it takes us, but I'm budgeting 3 1/2 hours.

Thanks S.A.M.J.R. this would be extremely useful, I look forward to hearing from you in the next few weeks.

Thanks for your help.

Texmex.ferr

Yes, Ft. Lauderdale at 3-3.5 hours is about right. Done it many times. And concur with other posts. Night before is so much more relaxing...but we've done it both ways and have successfully left out home in Orlando in morning and been on the ship eating lunch 3 times.

Somethings to consider.

Ft. Lauderdale is considerably easier to get parking and a hotel stay pre-cruise that includes parking.

If you ever decide to depart from Miami-it is MUCH harder to get that flexibility and strongly recommend the very convenient (but expensive) port parking. Tried to save $ in the past it never was worth it.

Port Canaveral is a great option to depart from. Only 45 min from Orlando airport and several convenient (but in-expensive) parking options. The cruises tend to run only a few dollars more and there are fewer selection, but if you find one you like...it is worth paying $50-$100 extra for the total cruise price to save the drive. Remember, you have to drive back after your cruise and this can be long if you are coming from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

Either way, when you leave Orlando airport and drive by our house, wave..ok?

Yes, Ft. Lauderdale at 3-3.5 hours is about right. Done it many times. And concur with other posts. Night before is so much more relaxing...but we've done it both ways and have successfully left out home in Orlando in morning and been on the ship eating lunch 3 times.

Somethings to consider.

Ft. Lauderdale is considerably easier to get parking and a hotel stay pre-cruise that includes parking.

If you ever decide to depart from Miami-it is MUCH harder to get that flexibility and strongly recommend the very convenient (but expensive) port parking. Tried to save $ in the past it never was worth it.

Port Canaveral is a great option to depart from. Only 45 min from Orlando airport and several convenient (but in-expensive) parking options. The cruises tend to run only a few dollars more and there are fewer selection, but if you find one you like...it is worth paying $50-$100 extra for the total cruise price to save the drive. Remember, you have to drive back after your cruise and this can be long if you are coming from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

Either way, when you leave Orlando airport and drive by our house, wave..ok?

Again thanks for the info Mikejobman, parking wouldn't be an issue, because we'd hire a car from Orlando Airport to Ft Lauderdale for the duration of the drive, then pick another hired car up on the way back. We prefer to cruise for 2 weeks because of the 9 hour + flight from the UK, but maybe in the future we could cruise for a week, and do a week in Florida just touring.

Texmex.ferr

Archived