Qsine experience on Summit for couple

ZsaZsaZoom

Before we left on our cruise (Summit Oct 26-Nov 2) I was reading a lot of opinions and questions on Qsine. I just thought I'd come back and share some of my observations/experience.

My husband and I (just us two) decided to dine here on one of the formal nights on the ship (because I didn't want to pack his suit coat). I had heard it was rather casual, and probably is, but because it was formal night on the ship, felt the dress in Qsine was very nice.

The biggest issue, and topic of conversation, has been the amount of food. Our waiter told us that we could have as much as we wanted, but he recommended that we start with 6 items. We immediately had fun going thru the ipad menu (don't be afraid of it) and picked our 6 items. I'm not sure I can fully remember them all, but I remember we had the disco shrimp, asian plate, and tacos and that we were pretty much full after our third course........our 5th course were the meatballs. The are HUGE! You get three of them, and they were all good, but we could barely pick at them. We realized this was becoming a waste of food, and asked our waiter to cancel our 6th item. We just could not do it. For the record, we consider ourselves pretty hearty eaters, too.

All the food we had (and I apologize that I cannot remember all of the entrees) was very good. We enjoyed our waiter, although we didn't seem to have any "fun" going on like others had mentioned. The sommelier was quite humorous, however. He could tell I wasn't overly thrilled with my first glass of wine, and really made sure I was happy before he walked away. He told me not to "keep it all inside" and to let him know how I really felt. :)

All in all, it was my best meal experience on the ship and I actually wanted to go back later in the week, but we knew we would only pick three dishes this time. Unfortunately, we never made it back........:(

I just wish they could alter the portions so that couples could get beyond 3 courses. We did the same thing on the Reflection, and I SO wanted to try more things, but we were at the 'miserable' stopping point, lol! We plan on going as a group in April and trying the items we missed!

I just wish they could alter the portions so that couples could get beyond 3 courses. We did the same thing on the Reflection, and I SO wanted to try more things, but we were at the 'miserable' stopping point, lol! We plan on going as a group in April and trying the items we missed!

If they won't reduce them, I'd have no qualms about eating less than a full portion and trying as many courses as I want. While geared for larger groups, Celebrity must realize that there are many couples who dine on their own.

It depends on which 6 items. Some of their items are small, and you could go through 6 of them as a couple definitely. But then there's things like M's favorite box. Of which you could go through one :p

My favorites for sharing for 2 were the lava crab, tresceviche, soup and souffle, lobster escargot, and Qsine greens. Can't wait to try some more next time we go!

I guess we could have asked if we can get half portions perhaps, but just the way they were done, that might be hard to do with most.

There is no reason they need to make the portions so large. The meatballs were kind of a joke, to be honest. When they pulled the top off of them, the whole dining room sort of laughed at us. And if they are serving a larger table, just serve more. Seems like a waste to me.

But again, it was a great experience and highly recommend it.

If they won't reduce them, I'd have no qualms about eating less than a full portion and trying as many courses as I want. While geared for larger groups, Celebrity must realize that there are many couples who dine on their own.

It is not geared towards larger groups - that is just a misconception by some on Cruise Critic. It is as much for couples as any of the other specialty restaurants. Some people seem to think that because the presentations are whimsical/fun that it is important to try many dishes or you will "miss out" on something. Sure, if you have that attitude I can see why a group would be necessary - but otherwise just pick out the 2-3 most appealing dishes per/person when going as a couple and don't worry about needing to try everything on the menu. No different than Murano, Tuscan Grille or any land based restaurant - if you want to sample everything on the menu you have to have a group (aside from tasting menu oriented venues). I also see why so many say Qsine is a once and done venue - if you only consume a few dishes you will have a far more pleasant experience and have more desire to return. Personally I think Qsine is easier to enjoy as a couple than as a group as many of the dishes are small portions with several different components and it is cumbersome to share them with more than a party of two. I have dined at Qsine a few times and the server has always been willing to make portions smaller upon request (i.e. to just order one of the meatballs rather than all three).

Edited by Gonzo70

It is not geared towards larger groups - that is just a misconception by some on Cruise Critic. It is as much for couples as any of the other specialty restaurants. Some people seem to think that because the presentations are whimsical/fun that it is important to try many dishes or you will "miss out" on something. Sure, if you have that attitude I can see why a group would be necessary - but otherwise just pick out the 2-3 most appealing dishes per/person when going as a couple and don't worry about needing to try everything on the menu. No different than Murano, Tuscan Grille or any land based restaurant - if you want to sample everything on the menu you have to have a group (aside from tasting menu oriented venues). I also see why so many say Qsine is a once and done venue - if you only consume a few dishes you will have a far more pleasant experience and have more desire to return. Personally I think Qsine is easier to enjoy as a couple than as a group as many of the dishes are small portions with several different components and it is cumbersome to share them with more than a party of two. I have dined at Qsine a few times and the server has always been willing to make portions smaller upon request (i.e. to just order one of the meatballs rather than all three).

Thanks for sharing your perspective. It differs from some of the other posts that I have seen here and it's good to see them all. I'm particularly pleased to see that they will reduce the size of orders if you ask them to.

I agree about the meatballs. I don't see why they couldn't be regular-meatball-sized. My BF and I didn't eat more than half of any of them. I felt pretty bad about wasting so much food, but we had more coming that I wanted to try, plus dessert, so I didn't want to stuff myself completely before the end of dinner.

I agree about the meatballs. I don't see why they couldn't be regular-meatball-sized. My BF and I didn't eat more than half of any of them. I felt pretty bad about wasting so much food, but we had more coming that I wanted to try, plus dessert, so I didn't want to stuff myself completely before the end of dinner.

The meatballs were really good. I just wanted to share that, as my last meatball post sounded a little too negative.

I wonder how they do the taco entree with a larger table? We were served two large taco's - do they generally allow one per person with a larger group.

Thank you ZsaZsaZoom and Gonzo70 for posting on this. My wife and I are on the Summit in December and I really want to go to Q-Sine but was concerned that we wouldn't enjoy it as much with out being part of a larger group. Your posts helped.