Thanksgiving Cruise=Getaway

My family is cruising on NCL beginning on NCL and will include thanksgiving. Does anyone have any experience with NCL on holidays? Do they do anything special onboard? We have purchased the UDP but did not know if complimentary restaurants would offer a traditional meal that evening or what anyones recommendations would be.

We will also be in Port in Grand Cayman. Are stores and excursions usually operating on this date?

Thank you

We spent this past Thanksgiving aboard Epic. The ship does try to have a traditional meal, but other than that, this particular holiday isn't a big deal. It is a US holiday, and the ship staff and crew are generally not from the US. I got a kick out of all the passengers that would actually say "Happy Thanksgiving" to their servers and such. LOL!

I was actually on the Epic with LrgPizza this past Thanksgiving. No big hoopla for Thanksgiving. Traditional meal is available that evening. Although, my suggestion is skip the restaurant and hit the buffet. There is turkey being carved there, whereas in the restaurant you may get the pre-sliced turkey (at least that was my experience the year prior on Carnival). This year on the Epic we went straight to the buffet and skipped the MDR completely for that reason.

Since Grand Cayman is not part of the US expect everything to be opened and running normally. St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are the only other islands that observe Thanksgiving (being that they are a Commonwealth).

I, too, was on the Epic last Thanksgiving and I will be with you this Thanksgiving on the Getaway.

Cruising is my new favorite way to spend Thanksgiving. There isn't a big emphasis on the cooking and the Turkey like at home . . .but there are so many other things to focus on. :D

We ate our favorite meal in Cagneys for dinner. But our server still brought us a plate of Turkey with all the fixins' from the dining room so that we could have a taste of Thanksgiving.

I was on the Sun this past Thanksgiving (I'm on her again right now actually and need to head to dinner!) and they did offer a traditional meal in the MDR. It was very good, although for some reason there was no pumpkin pie to be had. :( I made up for it by going to the buffet later on for leftovers then headed to the sports bar to watch football. It was a great way to spend the holiday! :D

Edited by bobg529

We spent Thanksgiving on the Pearl and had dinner in LeBistro. We had duck which was terrific, stuffing (I think they got it from the buffet), cranberry, etc. Loved the non-traditional dinner....

Edited by watchdiva

I spent last Thanksgiving on the Pearl. They had a full Thanksgiving meal in the MDR, however, I ate in Cagney's and there was no turkey, so I had filet.

I was a little disappointed that the next day in the buffet they didn't have carved turkey for sandwiches. They did have turkey for sandwiches, but it was that, what I call, slimy deli turkey.

• 1 month later...

I was on The Gateway for Thanksgiving last year. Best cruise I have had in a long long time. If I remember correctly I eat in one of the main dining rooms and had more food than I could eat.

They had Thanksgiving decorations everywhere. Football on the big screen and lot of other screens. A free hot dog stand going off to the side of the atrium.

I had so much fun that I am going back this year for Christmas and I can not wait.

My family is cruising on NCL beginning on NCL and will include thanksgiving. Does anyone have any experience with NCL on holidays? Do they do anything special onboard? We have purchased the UDP but did not know if complimentary restaurants would offer a traditional meal that evening or what anyones recommendations would be.

We will also be in Port in Grand Cayman. Are stores and excursions usually operating on this date?

Thank you

We were on the Dawn for Thanksgiving 2 years ago. Other than some turkey in the dining room nothing special was done. IMO the turkey was not all that good. It was not what we considered a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Of course the stores in Grand Cayman are open on that day. It is a US holiday, so there is no reason to think they would be closed.