Unlimited Alcohol Package

jaclynmn2277

Hey everyone need a little help here. My boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise together next month. We have budgeted and planned to purchase the alcohol package, as when I spoke to NCL just a few weeks ago they said it was available. We are sailing on the Epic on March 16th. I am now hearing that either A this package is NOT AVAILABLE at all in March or B it is now 10% more expensive because of Spring Break??!?! Does anyone have any information regarding this? As I will be extremely upset :mad::mad::mad::mad: if we can't get it as that was a huge factor between doing All Inclusive in Jamaica or doing this cruise. Any insights you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

everything i have read says its not available during "spring break", which they must define as the entire month. if you don't plan on drinking every day all day, you probably won't get your moneys worth out of it anyways. if you do plan to get sloppy drunk, i'd be canceling asap. have you called NCL to double check?

everything i have read says its not available during "spring break", which they must define as the entire month. if you don't plan on drinking every day all day, you probably won't get your moneys worth out of it anyways. if you do plan to get sloppy drunk, i'd be canceling asap. have you called NCL to double check?

Smart move on NCL's part for taking responsibility for the possible tragedies that could happen with drunken teenagers on board at spring break. We just have to go back to the Fort Lauderdale spring break days and the gov't put a stop to it there.

Smart move on NCL's part for taking responsibility for the possible tragedies that could happen with drunken teenagers on board at spring break. We just have to go back to the Fort Lauderdale spring break days and the gov't put a stop to it there.

i dont think it has much to do with liability and everything to do with finances. the bar tenders and waiters will still serve them till they're fall down drunk with a drink package or not. they'd lose a significant amount of money with the package during any kind of college vacation though.

I just can't see how it could be that much of an issue with spring sreakers.........when I went on Spring Break my WHOLE VACATION would be $400-600 so I can't see that many Spring Break kids that have the money to go on this cruise, it isn't exactly cheap! I don't see it appealing to party college spring break kids. And then to shell out another $400+ for an alcohol package when if they went to a "Spring Break Destination" such as Mexico etc where drinks are insanely cheap, 241's, $5 buckets of beer etc. I agree it's completely unfair if they don't offer it especially as they said they would when I booked in December, and then again 2 weeks ago when I called asking about it and to get exact pricing! :( I'll call again when I get off work and see what they tell me. I would be annoyed having to pay an additional 10%, but that's better than cancelling it all together.

i dont think its "unfair". they dont have an obligation to sell it. they do it to make money. they dont think they will make money doing it on spring break, so they stopped. its total BS that they didnt inform their staff and you were lied to though. i highly doubt they would just increase it 10% though. its probably going to be an all or nothing deal as that makes the most financial sense.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE UPSET IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I just spent 28 mins on the phone with them, where they admit they told me TWICE in the past 2 months that the package was available. They say it is even right in the notes that I called about it and was told the pricing on January 26th. But according to the Supervisor and I quote "Well sorry miss but Norwegian has the right to cancel or modify anything on the ship at any time, so there is nothing we can do". SERIOUSLY?!?! I have never been on a cruise before and it was between this or an amazing 5 star hotel in Jamaica that was ALL INCLUSIVE and Jamaica now basically would have been $2000+ cheaper when you factor in that apparently you can't have the alcohol package. SO FYI for any of you that were planning on getting the package it's not available and it's basically oh well that's too bad. If I wouldn't lose all my money I would cancel in a heartbeat, but of course that isn't an option either unless I want to basically only get back $250 of the $2500 I have already spent......and not including the $1000 on the flights. Talk about horrible customer service

It's simple and unfortunate that they will cancel that program for spring break. They do it because they know they will make more money selling the booze a la carte. They probably worry about people "sharing" the drinks and ordering more and more. When you have a lot of friends on the same cruise, it's easy to do. The rest of the year, people only go as couples or small groups.

Any cruise line will do these things to make more money, it's not about safety, it's about $$$$. The excuse is safety!

I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE UPSET IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I just spent 28 mins on the phone with them, where they admit they told me TWICE in the past 2 months that the package was available. They say it is even right in the notes that I called about it and was told the pricing on January 26th. But according to the Supervisor and I quote "Well sorry miss but Norwegian has the right to cancel or modify anything on the ship at any time, so there is nothing we can do". SERIOUSLY?!?! I have never been on a cruise before and it was between this or an amazing 5 star hotel in Jamaica that was ALL INCLUSIVE and Jamaica now basically would have been $2000+ cheaper when you factor in that apparently you can't have the alcohol package. SO FYI for any of you that were planning on getting the package it's not available and it's basically oh well that's too bad. If I wouldn't lose all my money I would cancel in a heartbeat, but of course that isn't an option either unless I want to basically only get back $250 of the $2500 I have already spent......and not including the $1000 on the flights. Talk about horrible customer service

jaclynmn2277, PM me if you can.

I totally understand how you feel and like you I would be disappointed. I going on the Breakaway and I not sure whether I get that or not but I will talley up my tab on the cruise four weeks before and see what I spend then I will decide.

I feel that if NCL has the right to modify they need to make it public prior to everybody paying their final payment. In your booking online they should send you a message, looking to book a cruise they should have a red flag that states this, Im sorry to not told you is not right. I guess your penalized for going in March that is how I would take it, there is a word for that. Its not that they giving you a legit explanation, Im sorry but its no excuse using "spring break" when in fact they are legal aged adults and are responsible for their own actions.

I have to agree with you OP its not fair. I wonder whether RC, Carnival and celebrity are doing the same thing in March?

Why not put all that money towards drinks? I don't see how you could possibly drink $2000 in drinks I guess AND the cost of the drink package... so more like $2800 in drinks. Hope you have a nice cruise regardless. Pretty sure I read that Carnival isn't doing it over Spring Break either.

wow. thats a very crappy way for a supervisor to handle it. i would call back tomorrow earlier in the day and demand to speak to people higher up until someone gives you something for them lying to you. at least some OBC. i don't think the price difference will be as much as you think. if you drink the price of the alcohol package and $2k+, you wouldn't be alive

wow. thats a very crappy way for a supervisor to handle it. i would call back tomorrow earlier in the day and demand to speak to people higher up until someone gives you something for them lying to you. at least some OBC. i don't think the price difference will be as much as you think. if you drink the price of the alcohol package and $2k+, you wouldn't be alive

Well I'm trying to do the math I only drink liquor so I'm factoring $8-10 a drink once gratuity is put on there, and my boyfriend is a beer drinker. So rough math is saying for the same price as the package that's only 6-7 drinks a day for each of us. I know on some days that would be alot, but for a day just lounging at the pool, then drinks at dinner, then if we went out to one of the night parties that is not alot at all! I could see it easily being $200-400 more buying them ala carte :(

I try not to trust what NCL people say and go more by the boards which is pretty sad. I don't think the drink package would be worth it personally. I've done an all-inclusive to Jamaica and while it was great, I didn't drink enough to want to do a package on the cruise and I'm not a light drinker.

Do what a lot of cruisers do... Youtube rum runners. Just make sure you hide them well or be prepared for some of them to get confiscated especially during Spring Break. They probably can't catch them all though. I hope you still have a great trip. We'll be on the Star on 3/3 out of New Orleans on our first cruise and I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Why not put all that money towards drinks? I don't see how you could possibly drink $2000 in drinks I guess AND the cost of the drink package... so more like $2800 in drinks. Hope you have a nice cruise regardless. Pretty sure I read that Carnival isn't doing it over Spring Break either.

Not $2000 in drinks I meant I already spent $2500 just to book the cruise, the alcohol package was another $800 on top of that just for clarification. I don't think anyone could drink $2000 of alcohol!

That's what made me so upset! She admitted they made the mistake TWICE and was basically like oh well too bad so sad! Ugh. And it wasn't $2k in alcohol I was saying Jamaica would have been $2k cheaper than what this cruise is going to end up being and Jamaica has all inclusive alcohol and all food in the hotel

When I was a college student, my budget for spring break was between low and nonexistent. But others have more money, then and now. spring breakers do cruise. And they do drink. According to reports here on CC, there was very bad behavior by spring breakers on an NCL ship last March (maybe more than one). Perhaps that is part of the reason for NCL's decision. Perhaps NCL does not want to gain a reputation as a spring break party and drinking cruiseline. I do not want that either.

Anyway, they have made their decision. On the plus side, their decision may contribute to a better overall atmosphere for many cruise passengers on your sailing if many spring breakers are on board. On the negative side, you clearly wanted the package. By the numbers you threw out, it sounds like you plan to consume quite a bit. Have you looked at preordering bottles for your room and bringing mixers? price it out, maybe it will be a better deal for you. perhaps you can save some money by doing some of your drinking while in port.

Well I'm trying to do the math I only drink liquor so I'm factoring $8-10 a drink once gratuity is put on there, and my boyfriend is a beer drinker. So rough math is saying for the same price as the package that's only 6-7 drinks a day for each of us. I know on some days that would be alot, but for a day just lounging at the pool, then drinks at dinner, then if we went out to one of the night parties that is not alot at all! I could see it easily being $200-400 more buying them ala carte :(

beer is $30/6 i believe (im not a beer drinker either) and drinks will cost an average of $10 with tip. you are right, there will be days when you drink $200-300. but you're not taking into account days you're in port, go drinking at bars off the ship and either come back to the ship and pass out or only have a drink or two with dinner and go to sleep. i drink a decent amount and after going through our ship receipts, we would have come close to breaking even on one cruise. the other half dozen or so we would have lost $100-200 with the package

Not $2000 in drinks I meant I already spent $2500 just to book the cruise, the alcohol package was another $800 on top of that just for clarification. I don't think anyone could drink $2000 of alcohol!

You've obviously never hung out with Navy pilots. :D

Another question since we on this subject, are the glass sizes small and do they offer doubles and if so how much more is a double. Carnival gives you much smaller glasses now really ridicious only few sips after you consider all the ice in the glass so we automatically double our drinks for a regular size glass and that is another $3 on top of the drinks. This past October we were paying for doubles $13 per drink (jack and coke, vodka tonic, etc.) and 10 for a martini, considering if we had the smaller glasses we be spending much more than what the double cost us.

So question, anybody have any drink photos of the size of the glasses or can tell me?

Archived