How are the Seas traveling from San Diego to Hawaii???

Marie50

We were also wondering the same thing. We are booked on the Zaandam for the 02/03/08 San Diego - Hawaii - San Diego. Hoping for some calm seas and warm weather. We live in Nebraska so in February we are very cold here, so anything over 60 is a real bonus to us. We are really looking forward to the sea days for relaxing but would not like terrible rough seas. :p

We are probably cruising with Marie50 as our date is November 5 on the Zaandam. There is not much on the boards about this. Somewhere during my research I read where a poster said they could be rough for 1 or 2 days going and coming back then it would settle down. Also, read that the temperature could get cool. Maybe someone will post that has recently done HAL or possibly Princess because they are now doing this trip. I hope this helps.

We are going the first week of November and I am wondering how calm the seas will be as we have 4 days to Hawaii and 4 days back to San Diego................

We just returned on the Norwegian Sun from Honolulu to San Diego today. Of the five sea days, we had moderate seas (4.5 feet- 7 feet swells) three and 1/2 of them. They other day and 1/2 were rougher (over 7 foot swells). There were many (including me) that had patches on during those days. They passed out a alot of patches and sold a lot of ginger ale. I slept quite a bit also. The rougher seas were just about in the middle of the crossing. The sea as well as the air temps. were higher nearer Hawaii. When we left Hawaii, the air temps were mid 80's and sea temps were about 82 deg. We we arrived in Ensenada today, the air temps had dropped to the low 70's and the sea temp was around 73. Are you sure you are crossing in only four days?? We took five days at 20 knots. I thought this was pretty fast. Four days would have the ship really flying. (If that is possible. ) Hope this helps.

We took HAL'S RT San Diego in April. We had 4 sea days on both legs, and the ocean was a little rough in the middle.

We had a balcony, and it was SO windy, it was difficult to get the door open on those days.

Bring patches or wristbands. I usually don't get motion sickness, but I took the meds.

Like I said, it was in April, not Nov., but they told me the ocean is always rough crossing because of the tradewinds.

We are doing it again April 2008, so I guess it didn't bother us that much. :)

yeah the wind is what you need to worry about..

we were late arriving back to san diego because when you come back you are going against the wind

but as far as the seas.. we had big swells, but the stabilizers were out and it wasnt real rocky or anything .

it was cool going and coming back , so we didnt swim or anything in the pool. the pool was really rocking

but it was the best cruise weve ever taken

we went on infinity in april 07

Melissa

It's not true that the ocean is always rough. We've made 3 crossings between Ensenada and Hawaii. First one in October from Hawaii to Ensenada was rough and cool, not much deck activity. Second one in November going to Hawaii was also rough and cool, we even missed the first port, Hilo, because of rough waters. The third one, also in November to Hawaii was perfect, warm sunny days and smooth seas the entire crossing.

There are no guarantees with the weather, expect the worst and hope for the best:)

Personally, we would have to agree with bug_dan as you never know. Our experience was that the seas were very rough, and the wind was terrible. So much so that they kept the doors to the outside tied shut so no one could go out on deck on the crossing over and back. But the days in Hawaii more than made up for the rough seas. This was in the first part of November two years ago. But then we have talked to people who had smooth sailing for the whole trip.

Enjoy!

Yes, it was a little rough on the Sun crossing but it depends on the individual I think. If I were prone to sea-sickness I might feel differently. Neither of us were sick or saw anyone that was. I will say that it was rougher than either of our Atlantic crossings last year, one in April and one in November. And the roughest seas I've ever encountered were on a W. Caribbean cruise a few years ago!! And I did see some sick folks that time!!

When I mentioned an Atlantic repositioning cruise to some folks we met they said they were too afraid of rough seas to chance taking one which hasn't been our experience at all.

As someone has said, you just never know.

Archived